It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Assad "to declare war" on Israel following fresh airstrikes

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by justwokeup

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse
Anyone know what bombs were used?
Could they have been the new 30,000lb bunker busters from the US-or have they yet to be delivered?
A syrian reporter on Sky news claimed it registered between 3-4 on the richter scale,and I so I checked RSOE,and sure enough:

hisz.rsoe.hu...

Big bombs indeed.
Sky news are talking of maybe 3-4 hundred Assad troops being killed-can anyone see him not retaliating against such a death toll?

Also,we must wait to see if Netenyahu cancels his trip to China-he has already delayed it by two hours for an emergency cabinet meeting.
If he cancels,expect more strikes,or possible syrian retaliation IMO.

The Israelis have no aircraft capable of carrying a 30,000lb bomb. You need a strategic bomber for that.

The size of the explosion isn't only related to the size of the bomb. It depends what you drop the bomb on to. A small bomb on a munitions store will make a very big bang.

Nope... the "moab" (as you know it) for instance is a 22k and it was designed to be delivered by a c130... so, its not like you actually need a b52 or anything like you're implying - and its not like its difficult for israel to improve the moab since there are also rumors of russia having a 70 or 80k also delivered by an antonov (dont quote me on that though).

And yes, israel does have c130s.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I wonder what Israel hoped to gain from this.
I bet when Israel faces retaliation, they will start playing victim and continue to whine about anti-semitism. They deserve whatever is coming to them.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Darth_Prime

not spreading doom, but IF this would draw any interest or response from Iran, believe the USA would utilize an opportunity to claim 'Required War' with Iran

Interesting... but isn't the US busy elsewhere right now?

If Israel wanted to attack Iran, they would have done so a long time ago. But they know that Iran wont be a push over... and they run the risk of dooming themselves in case it does not go as planned. They would bring upon themselves a new "holocaust", which history books would record as being caused by Israels own foolishness.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by FraternitasSaturni

What it looks like to me is the israeli rockets hit pretty huge caches of some kind of explosives,maybe igniting underground stashes as well,judging by the 3.5 richter scale hit.

Something big has popped for that magnitude,that is for sure.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by FraternitasSaturni

Originally posted by justwokeup

Anyone know what bombs were used?
Could they have been the new 30,000lb bunker busters from the US-or have they yet to be delivered?
A syrian reporter on Sky news claimed it registered between 3-4 on the richter scale,and I so I checked RSOE,and sure enough:

hisz.rsoe.hu...

Big bombs indeed.
Sky news are talking of maybe 3-4 hundred Assad troops being killed-can anyone see him not retaliating against such a death toll?

Also,we must wait to see if Netenyahu cancels his trip to China-he has already delayed it by two hours for an emergency cabinet meeting.
If he cancels,expect more strikes,or possible syrian retaliation IMO.

The Israelis have no aircraft capable of carrying a 30,000lb bomb. You need a strategic bomber for that.

The size of the explosion isn't only related to the size of the bomb. It depends what you drop the bomb on to. A small bomb on a munitions store will make a very big bang.

Nope... the "moab" (as you know it) for instance is a 22k and it was designed to be delivered by a c130... so, its not like you actually need a b52 or anything like you're implying - and its not like its difficult for israel to improve the moab since there are also rumors of russia having a 70 or 80k also delivered by an antonov (dont quote me on that though).

And yes, israel does have c130s.

Wrong. The bomb in question is the Massive Ordinance Penetrator (MOP).

en.wikipedia.org...

It most certainly cannot be delivered by a C-130. It can currently only be delivered by a B2.

The MOAB you mention is not a penetration weapon. Its a daisy cutter. Useless against a bunker.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   

reply to post by FraternitasSaturni

What it looks like to me is the israeli rockets hit pretty huge caches of some kind of explosives,maybe igniting underground stashes as well,judging by the 3.5 richter scale hit.

Something big has popped for that magnitude,that is for sure.

Well... the moab for instance sets off a 3.0. You're free to confirm it though. Some say 3.0 some say close to 3.5. But... a 3.5 "cache of explosives" to give you an idea, it was Chernobyl for example (0.2 or 0.3kt)

One of those videos the guy filming it, it takes 11 seconds for the sound to get to him. Which means, with an average dry temperature of 20c (68f) gives an average 343 meters per second as the speed of sound, so he is aprox at 3.7km (2.3mi) from the explosion - considering the size of that thing, seriously that was some massive explosion.

The UN which is so fond of pissing people off with stupid sanctions and whatnot, should actually do something about Israel and this unprovoked act of... this isnt actually a simple act of war, this is a despicable act perpetrated by psychopaths running a rogue state that have carte blanche to do anything they please - the US is to blame on this one because they allow this state to continue to pull stunts like these and nothing ever happens to them.

ANY other country in the WORLD that would did this to anyone, and I mean any country, today there would already be a no-fly zone and by tuesday nato would carpet bomb that crap back to 10.000bc and by friday there would be troops on the ground, in the next few weeks their leader would either be captured or killed in some s&g op by join spec op forces and then "beatings will continue until morale improves".

But no... Its Israel. Its allowed. Even as an ex-military I never quite got that crap. And because of their tight relations with the US we have to put up with their arrogance as they act as if they're members of nato themselves. How much longer the world will have to put up with this bs?

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by justwokeup

I'm not saying its a moab. I just followed what you said. Since you said that Israel had no capabilities of delivering a mop, then the moab was the logical follow up.

Now you say it was the mop, and the mop does make more sense, but you maintain the theory that they have no delivery capability since they have no strategic bombers.

Now... where does that leave us then?

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by FraternitasSaturni
reply to post by justwokeup

I'm not saying its a moab. I just followed what you said. Since you said that Israel had no capabilities of delivering a mop, then the moab was the logical follow up.

Now you say it was the mop, and the mop does make more sense, but you maintain the theory that they have no delivery capability since they have no strategic bombers.

Now... where does that leave us then?

I think it leaves us where I thought we probably were earlier in the thread.

The israelis performed a conventional strike with a normal sized weapon into an ammo dump or some such. Giving a very large explosion and fire.

It makes a lot more sense than pushing a daisy cutter out of the back of a c-130 over contested airspace inside a hostile nation (MOAB), or that they delivered a weapon they don't have any aircraft that can carry (MOP).

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by AnimositisominA

No No No No No. Please , God NO!

If there is a war, I just KNOW that the US will be dragged into it and I still have a few family members that are still enlisted.

NO!

edit on 5-5-2013 by skepticconwatcher because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Its now just after 7pm in Syria,and presumably dark by now.
If more strikes happen tonight,surely Assad will attempt to get a ceasefire with the rebels,and join to attack Israel I thought earlier today,and that todays strike may actually end up helping Assad.

However-Syrian state news is now saying Israel is colluding with terrorists in Syria to bring down the regime,and the bomb strikes were part of Israel helping the rebels,so doubtful he will go for a ceasefire if thats the spin they are going for.

Anyone know if Netenyahu has cancelled his planned 5 day visit to China?
He is meant to leave this evening I think-but if he cancels,that will be a good gauge that more escalation will occur IMO.

Im just waking up, it was a long night.
As far as I know, Netanyahu has not canceled his trip to China, which is a good sign. He most likely wouldn't be flying around if there was a definite all out war with Israel at the center. For security reasons.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by skepticconwatcher
reply to post by AnimositisominA

No No No No No. Please , God NO!

If there is a war, I just KNOW that the US will be dragged into it and I still have a few family members that are still enlisted.

NO!

edit on 5-5-2013 by skepticconwatcher because: (no reason given)

Im saying the same as I have enlisted friends and family as well. As far as U.S. being dragged into an active role beyond playing a "by proxy" role would really be determined by the actions of Russia and Iran I would suspect.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I found this:
Syria's Deputy Foreign Minister Faisal al Mekdad said on CNN that the attack on the Syrian military facility near Damascus is a 'declaration of war' by Israel. In an interview with CNN correspondent Frederik Pleitgen in Damascus, al Mekdad, an official considered close to President Assad, said the attack is evidence to an alliance between Islamic terrorists and Israel. He added that Syria would choose the time and way of retaliation. Note the similarities that this has with the North Korean sabre rattling - Just an observation.
reddit-stream.com...
This also...
Hareetz is reporting that the the Israeli Fighter Jets fired on the Syrian targets from the airspace above Lebanon, avoiding entering Syrian Airspace.
And...
Hareetz has quoted the Lebanese Foreign Minister in saying "Resistance forces will respond to the Israeli aggression… Iran will not allow to Israel destabilize the region." Whilst residents of the Northern city of Kiryat have been calling in asking about shelters and whether or not classes are still on. It is clear they are concerned but officials are telling the public to trust in their defense force.

But still no word from Israel?
Am I missing something?

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by sk0rpi0n
reply to post by Darth_Prime

not spreading doom, but IF this would draw any interest or response from Iran, believe the USA would utilize an opportunity to claim 'Required War' with Iran

Interesting... but isn't the US busy elsewhere right now?

If Israel wanted to attack Iran, they would have done so a long time ago. But they know that Iran wont be a push over... and they run the risk of dooming themselves in case it does not go as planned. They would bring upon themselves a new "holocaust", which history books would record as being caused by Israels own foolishness.

Exactly
Syria is getting the short end of many sticks here by being Iran's whipping boy it seems.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 06:01 PM
link   
The enemy of my enemy is my friend. That is, unless it is impossible to be friends. It is possible to have three mutually exclusive enemies?

Israel attacks Syria, does that make Israel a friend of Al Quida?

Don't Syria and Russia have a pact, that requires Russia to give aid to Syria if it comes under attack from a foreign state? Things are a little confusing right now.

By order of friendships in the region, if Israel attacks Syria, Russia is supposed to defend it's friend and respond by attacking Israel. But, if anybody attacks Israel, the USA is obligated to respond and attack them. That could mean USA and Russia going to war. But, Russia and the US are friends today. Cold war is over. Wall came down.

So, who will help which state today? If I were Syria, I'd adopt the policy, if you blow up mine, I'll blow up yours. Maybe Israel got permission from Syria to blow up the munitions, just as they were about to fall into Al Quida's hands? What's happening over there is pretty confusing.

Israel takes a big risk, since Syria and it's rebels might just patch up their differences quickly just to respond to the common enemy, Israel. It's like Ronald Regan said, if aliens attacked Earth, all the waring factions on earth would join forces to repel the aliens. Well, Israel is like the aliens in the region. So, do they risk uniting the fighting factions by intervention?

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by SQUEALER

Insightful post. Russia will not allow Assad to wage a full out war for this reason- they supply to much money and hardware for Assad to turn his nose up and fire off his batteries. This is the new proxy war- where Mossad will fight for Israel- blowing up chem plants and missile squadrons and The Revolutuonary guard will continue planting sticky bombs on Mercedes.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Well ofcourse exploding missles would have a smell to them.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 09:04 PM
link   
By declaring war on Israel he's effectively declaring war on the United States.

Good luck with that..

Israeli jets devastated Syrian targets near Damascus on Sunday in a heavy overnight air raid that Western and Israeli officials called a new strike on Iranian missiles bound for Lebanon's Hezbollah.

It sounds to me like this strike was actually related to missiles inbound to a terrorist group rather than related to the syrian civil war that's ongoing.
edit on 5/5/2013 by JackBauer because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 10:30 PM
link   
This is my prediction:

Assad launches Chemical weapons at Israel before his fall, or in desperation

Or

Rebels launch / plant chemical weapons in northern Israel.

Israel nukes Damascus in retaliation which pisses off entire Muslim world. Then the beginning of Ww3 will begin groaning.
edit on 5-5-2013 by milkyway12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Way to many threads on this subject all ready but I believe Syria will respond on their own time.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 04:33 AM
link   
reply to post by SQUEALER

Countries don't have friends, they have interests. Sometimes common interest just superficially resembles friendships. This isn't really a nation state conflict, its a religious conflict with state participants.

The players really are

Group One

-Assad Regime (Baathist One Party State - Ostensibly Secular but Shia dominated in practice)
-Iran (Shia Theocracy)
-Hezbollah - (Shia Islamic Militant Terror Group in Lebanon)
- Russia (arms supplier)

Group Two

- Free Syrian Army (Broad based group of Syrian Army Defectors aiming to topple the Assad Regime and hold elections)
- Al Nusra Front (Al Queda affiliate intent on replacing toppled Assad with Wahhabi Islamic one)
- Ahrar-Al-Sham (Hardline Salafist Jihadi coalition intent on replacing toppled Assad Regime with Wahhabi Islamic one)
- Saudi Arabia (arms and logistic support supplier) - wants to weaken Shia Islam in the region regardless of cost.
- EU + USA (Having backed the FSA for a quick win which didn't materialise they are now stuck in the boat with the bearded enemies of the west and they don't know what to do).

The EU and US want Assad gone to isolate Iran further but they don't want him replaced by the Islamists. Personally I think they have bungled this badly. They failed to appreciate how long Assad would fight on and failed to predict the extent to which the Salafists would gain traction in the vacuum. They are in a bind now. If Assad wins they have made a die hard enemy of the west out of him. If he falls you might end up with another Afghanistan in the heart of the middle east. They plainly don't know what to do.

The Israelis are trying to prevent this Epic Fail from spilling on to them.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join