It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3 good questions for christians/creationists

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Nightaudit

Well Wild ( do you mind me calling you that?), I do think there are many, many parallels between modern european countries and the US when it comes to most things.

Thanks so much for sharing that thought! (Of course I don't mind!)

Sometimes it looks (on ATS) as though all the world 'hates' us....and I think they just don't understand how many people there are here, and what the diversity of opinion and life-style is really like.

There are over 311 million of us....and a HUGE disparity between us - in many, many ways.

EDIT: Doh! No, not 3 million....there are over 311 MILLION of us.
Every region has its own personality and leanings, but mixed up among those regional 'majorities' are vocal dissenters. It's a very complex population, as is obvious when looking at world news.

edit on 18-4-2013 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Well, in what world do people live where the dalai lama deserves to go to hell, then?

I am sorry. But that is beyond anything that I am willing to accept.

The Dalai Lama is one of my heroes!

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

Exactly! My personal opinion has always been that there are good and bad people in every society that exists.

I do no think that pretty much ANY generalization like "the french do this" or "the americans are that" is valid.

It simply doesn´t make sense. Sure enough "we" germans have enough to be sorry about in the past, and rightfully so!

But I do not think that a general statement about ANY group can be true. You can´t say christians do this, or democrats do that or honda drivers are these kind of people.

We should always look at the individual in my opinion.

The way I see it, the way people react to you is mainly dependant on how you act towards them anyway.

I choose to "judge" people individually, and not just condemn whole nations to prejudice. I think this kind of thinking starts wars.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   

You can´t say christians do this, or democrats do that or honda drivers are these kind of people.

Wait.
I drive a Honda.

Seriously, it's a 97, fully paid for, and runs like a TOP!!

I totally get what you're saying. It's kind of like the 'war on drugs' saying that "marijuana is the gateway to harder drugs" , which is equivalent to saying "mass muderers eat french fries, so people who eat french fries will become mass murderers."

WHAT?!!! No, nononono.

I wonder if the mods will delete this for mentioning the plant.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   

He is one of my heroes. I always see him with a smile, and most important of all I heard him say the following on german TV a few years ago.

He basically said that it probably makes more sense to be christian in europe than being buddhist, and that it only matters to be nice to each other anyway. That kind of blew my mind. A religious leader who freely says that under certain circumstances his own belief might not be the best.

I mean have you ever heard that of any other religious leader? This complete openness and fearless logic really made an impression on me.

I honestly would have to struggle to think of a more impressive person in a lot of ways.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   

I honestly would have to struggle to think of a more impressive person in a lot of ways.
Yep!

Me, too. In fact, I think he is one of few living persons who embodies EVERYTHING that humanity should be paying attention to.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Hehe, oh I drive a beautiful Audi, but I won´t judge your Honda-ness

And don´t get me started on the whole weed mystery. I still am amazed how the safest and most fun "drug" is criminalized while we complain that our youth is drinking themselves to death.

I do not condone drugs in general. But I think we should evaluate everything on facts and not on myths and weird commercials.

And like everything in life, if you use certain things responsibly they can be fun. If you don´t they can be disastrous.

Although I have to admit that we´re miles away from the original topic. I actually don´t mind though, if you don´t

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by micmerci

Originally posted by Nightaudit
reply to post by micmerci

Hmm. So what if you heard of jesus, but you choose to stay a buddhist for your own reasons?

Hell?

According to Christ- yes. Many pastors and followers will dance around that answer for fear of the repercussions but it is Christian doctrine

According to Paul yes. Jesus have said the opposite if you see what Jesus is aiming at and what Buddha is aiming at. The process/reality rule that is Christ Consciousness or ego death could not care less from my point of view. Once the student is prepared and ready the transformation comes. I always wonder if they monitor it by hand or have it already calculated or have some kind of AI? Probably precalculated.

So many questions and so little certain information on earth..... Well whatever I will figure it out/know it someday.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   

I feel we really connect on a lot of things!

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Hey, friend, I don't mind in the slightest!!
It's on Off-Topic forum anyway - the rules are less stringent.

I just didn't want to be responsible for 'shutting down your OP' (which I apparently did!
) if it wasn't what you wanted. There are plenty of Christians on here who can answer your questions, but they seem to have lost interest, or for other reasons left the thread.
(What happened to MikeHawke?)

Anyway, it's not for me to mind whether your thread is derailed and going "a whole-nuther" direction (a Midwestern American phrase, there) ( means a completely different direction).....
that's up to you!!

I'm enjoying exchanging ideas with you... up to you to say "Get back on topic!"
(or the mods, but since no one else is complaining, I think we're 'cool' here.)

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Hehe, oh I drive a beautiful Audi, but I won´t judge your Honda-ness

Well, that's quite generous of you.
I can't afford an Audi. Gotta make do with an Accord. And my Honda-ness is based on the fact that they last longer, and are more well-built and engineered than MOST American models.

You frequent the Auto-Bahn, then?
My dad, before he died, was an engineer who flew over there to Germany, Luxembourg, Switzerland, etc. repeatedly to learn the technologies being implemented and bring those ideas back to the USA. Also drove like a bat-out-of-hell, all his life. Thunderbirds, other muscle cars....what a guy he was.

He particularly liked Singapore. I, sadly, have not visited ANY of those places .... YET.
But I am all about global communication and tolerance, learning about other cultures and places, and trying to see how it all fits together toward the common denominator of "best practice."

Without cultural competency and an understanding and acceptance of diversity, we are doomed.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Hehe, I agree. We are absolutely cool here.

And I think I can explain what happened to Mike and a few others. Although it will be hard without sounding condescending in a way.

I have made the experience that a lot of ..uhm "faith based" people (here we go with the condescending bit) quickly exit a discussion like this when they encounter factual opponents. When they are pushed into a corner they choose to leave and rather think of me as the bad guy.

I have rarely met people who are willing to stay during a conversation like this to the end.

I sound like an ass again, I´m sure of that.

But Mike, feel free to prove me wrong and come back anytime!

It is just what I can report from the numerous discussions that I have witnessed or done myself in real life and/or online.

If you call them on their sh*t, they´ll leave.

I am still sounding like a dick, aren´t I?

Well, I am getting a little buzzed, so I blame the devil in form of red wine

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   

With regards to the autobahn.

Here is me and my Audi

www.youtube.com...

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by LittleByLittle

Originally posted by micmerci

Originally posted by Nightaudit

Hmm. So what if you heard of jesus, but you choose to stay a buddhist for your own reasons?

Hell?

According to Christ- yes. Many pastors and followers will dance around that answer for fear of the repercussions but it is Christian doctrine

According to Paul yes. Jesus have said the opposite if you see what Jesus is aiming at and what Buddha is aiming at. The process/reality rule that is Christ Consciousness or ego death could not care less from my point of view. Once the student is prepared and ready the transformation comes. I always wonder if they monitor it by hand or have it already calculated or have some kind of AI? Probably precalculated.

So many questions and so little certain information on earth..... Well whatever I will figure it out/know it someday.

“Father, the hour has come; glorify your Son that the Son may glorify you, since you have given him authority over all flesh, to give eternal life to all whom you have given him. And this is eternal life, that they know you the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent.” (Jn 17:1-3).

This is a quote of Jesus when He prayed in the garden. So it is according to Jesus as well as according to Paul.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Only left while driving home from work. I don't push my agenda on anyone but I also do not back down when people attempt to present inconclusive evidence as fact.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   

I am still sounding like a dick, aren´t I?

Well, I am getting a little buzzed, so I blame the devil in form of red wine

Nah, you're cool. I'm a bit buzzed on beer, too. You're up late, then!!

The fact is that people like Mike are not willing to discuss these things without becoming ugly and defensive when they are shown to be thinking erroneously.

It's just the way it is here....
but, there are those of us who recognize each other and can stand up against such bigoted, outrageous beliefs and ridicule.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   

HOLY COW!!
Wow. I'd be terrified to drive like that!! I drive like an old lady as it is, and I'm only ....well, never mind.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   

I am sorry micmerci if I have offended you in any way. That comment wasn´t really directed at you, or rather not at all in fact. I have valued your contribution here, even if we do not agree on all points.

To me it is rather how someone makes their arguments, than what they want to say. I respect anyone´s opinion as long as it is produced in a calm way.

And you certainly did that!

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Hehe, yeah driving is kind of my thing

And I am sure that you are doing just well well for a young lady of 29 at the most

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   

we're cool

BTW loved the Audi video

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join