It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Damn......my dog is fat!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Hello ats.

I'm pretty sure I'm putting this in the right forum, if not it doesn't belong on this site.

I do have a problem. My "small dog" must weigh at least 20 pounds but the thing is he should only weigh about 10 pounds.

Sometimes I do give him people food but not so often that he should be so fat!

I take him for walks but he doesn't even want to go out anymore. When I take him to the park he just sits on his ass and watches everybody else and if I throw a ball or a stick for him to retrieve he just looks at me like I'm a retard.

Maybe he's depressed.

Do you guys have any suggestions?
edit on 12-4-2013 by billy565 because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-4-2013 by billy565 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Yeah, let him be fat and enjoy his short time being alive.
Rub that fat belly!

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by billy565

Are you drinking again? Just joking. I liked your earlier thread and couldn't resist.

Walking is fine but get him running some too if you can. He also may need a playful companion. My mother brings her dog by once in awhile and my dog loves it. They play and run like mad.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   
pics or it didn't happen

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Have a vet look at him to see if he has a thyroid issue. If not, then put him on a diet and regular exercise (read up on how to start a fat dog on a diet) and then do that. It's one thing to be fat yourself (not saying you are, but that would be your choice), it's quite another to do it to an unsuspecting and ignorant animal who doesn't know that his health is at risk. \

It's the right thing to do.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   

TAKE HIM TO THE VET FOR BLOODWORK AND AN EXAM.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Maybe you can find a fat person with a skinny dog and trade dogs with them?

Seriously tho, why does it matter? It's just a dog.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bleeeeep

They are not just dogs.. They have feelings too. Dogs are your best friend.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Bleeeeep

If that's how you feel, then own a fat dog.
And frankly, if that's how the OP feels, then he can let his dog be fat, too. But he seems to wants to do something about it. I personally don't care if you think "it's just a dog", but some of us know better.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I don't know why but I felt compelled to post these here. Could it be your dog has an endocrine problem?

Cushings syndrome in dogs

Pictures of Cushings affected dogs

Hypothyroidism in dogs
edit on 12-4-2013 by OuttaHere because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 05:51 PM
link   

edit on 12-4-2013 by Rikku because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I just acquired 2 dogs in my household, (taking care of an elder parent) and both those dogs are OBESE.

One a wiener dog looks like an over cooked sausage, the other a lab that has lost all shape and is just round.

Step one, get them walking, start slow at first.

Step two, Figure out the exact nutrition requirements for their desired weight and stick to them as best you can, no extra human food.

And if you can afford it get them to a vet.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Feed him slightly less each week, until it's at a "weight loss" amount. Don't just cut his food in half, he'll be too hungry. You have to sneak a diet up on him.

When he's normal weight again, slowly normalize his portions of food.
No bread products. No store bought "dog treats"

Give him little pieces of carrots as treats, or other veggies he might like.
Don't give too many carrot pieces until you know how his stomach handles them. Too much fibre at once can be a nasty problem

See the vet for help, ideas, weight and health monitoring while he's dieting.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Worms, cancer or just overfed and under excercised perhaps?

See a vet.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 06:17 PM
link   
People food makes people fat, thats his problem!

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

I don't keep animals for pets - I hate the idea of it.

If I'm keeping an animal, it's going to be for food or burden. You want to do what's right for an animal? Set it free if you're not going to use it for food or burden. Let it live naturally, and stop loving them so much that you would put an animal before another human. That is a sickness.

Taking a dog to the vet, if it's not for burden, is like throwing money away. You want to give money away, give it to a homeless shelter or something.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   

He needs to lose weight Billy - take him to the vet and discuss a safe exercise and weight loss strategy with him.

Being fat causes, breathlessness and exhaustion and early death - you can fix this and the little one can lose weight and enjoy life again
edit on 12-4-2013 by HelenConway because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 06:31 PM
link   

reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

I don't keep animals for pets - I hate the idea of it.

If I'm keeping an animal, it's going to be for food or burden. You want to do what's right for an animal? Set it free if you're not going to use it for food or burden. Let it live naturally, and stop loving them so much that you would put an animal before another human. That is a sickness.

Taking a dog to the vet, if it's not for burden, is like throwing money away. You want to give money away, give it to a homeless shelter or something.

bleeep you really really need to find your heart - you sound so unkind and uncaring here. It is sad that you are like this IMO.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 06:43 PM
link   

My golden retriever was the fat one of the litter. Not only was she fat she was the pushy one of the bunch.

She was always a little on the hefty side and she enjoyed being a homebody. She's 14yrs old now, lost her hearing, and her eyesight isn't the greatest. She has trouble getting up because her back legs have arthritis. We've been making her as comfortable as possible because we know she's not going to be with us much longer. She stopped eating her dog food and lost a lot of weight, so we now feed her people food. My wife makes her pancakes with syrup in the morning.
She never ate so good, but we want her to leave this life peaceful and content. She's been a good dog, and is loved by everyone. We'll miss her when she's gone.

I would try to put your dog on lean dog food, but we tried that with our dog and after awhile she didn't care for the dog food. She still didn't lose the weight. I think dogs have personalities just like people. Your dog may just be content being fat.
I would follow the advice of the one poster, just rub her belly and accept her for how she is.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by HelenConway

I'm one of the most caring people I know - especially around these forums. You all just don't understand what you're doing.

Keeping animals as emotional toys and then falling in love with them, as to choose an animal over a human.

Again, I say let them be free if you're not going to use them for food or burden. You guys are the ones keeping them as some weird emotional slave, or whatever you call a pet.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join