It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Huge Asteroid To Skim Past Earth At 18,641mph (TODAY!)

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   
OK its going away now...

What an exciting time for Astronomers, TWO big Asteroid news stories...

Even I got excited for a moment...

link   
We're still here!

link   
reply to post by spqrenki

2012DA14 is tiny on a cosmic scale. Sure, it wouldn't be fun if you happened to be around where it landed, but it's not even close to an ELE. 2012DA14 is around 160ft across, less than half the estimated size of the object that caused the Tunguska Event. And there's still a very high chance that it wouldn't hit anything important even if it did strike earth.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I saw it. I looked out the window and I thought "that's a bit bright for the sun" but just kinda shrugged it off. 2 min later I looked up again and it was gone.

Awesome

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I guess many in the world had been following the asteroid which just passed the closest point on our Earth in its path.

Thanks all who prayed.

There are no atheists in foxholes.

Cheers.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   
it came it went no impact no destruction just a fly by,boring event, as boring as listening to msm, or watching rush l, find more entertainment with AJ, not AJ per say but the post that refer to him. the real news should be the impact in Siberia, now that was something.
edit on 15-2-2013 by bekod because: line edit

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I'm currently in Perth - just where that main observatory is, and i couldn't actually see it due to light pollution.

Then again, gin gin is really out of the way of perth (about 100 kilometers away). Should have gone up there for the darker sky

Regardless, it's moving away

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by bekod

It wasn't boring, I didn't think I would see it here in America but I did. That was really cool

link   
reply to post by Gazrok

I believe I read somewhere that these two astroids came from different directions so it wasn't related. Sorry I can't remember where I read it but it was on one of the links that was listed here.

link   
So this thing is moving south from the north pole?

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by SeekerofTruth101

No atheists in foxholes? I haven't heard of the phrase. Regardless, with your mention of belief, why did you feel the need to bring up atheism? Was it really necessary?

Whatever happens, happens - belief or not. One does not simply "will" away something with a prayer.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by capone1

On the live stream's trajectory, it looked like it was moving north from the south pole

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by spqrenki

How could you have seen it (and from America) 'brighter than the sun'?
Is your window a telescope?

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Just been out to take a look but too cloudy here in UK
typical we miss all the cool stuff here!

Fingers crossed that some ATSers get some good piccies to share.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by bekod
it came it went no impact no destruction just a fly by,boring event, as boring as listening to msm, or watching rush l, find more entertainment with AJ, not AJ per say but the post that refer to him. the real news should be the impact in Siberia, now that was something.
edit on 15-2-2013 by bekod because: line edit

The event wasn't boring - it was significant to astronomy. Why discount that?

No, it was boring to those who had high expectations from listening to hypers/fear mongers/idiots

link   
Exactly! Praying for a huge asteroid not to hid earth is an empty prayer. You can't ask G-d to change the course of nature. Nature runs it's course. More appropriate would be to ask for strength to deal with the aftermath of such an impact, otherwise prayer has no use in this circumstance.

Originally posted by xxdaniel21
reply to post by SeekerofTruth101

No atheists in foxholes? I haven't heard of the phrase. Regardless, with your mention of belief, why did you feel the need to bring up atheism? Was it really necessary?

Whatever happens, happens - belief or not. One does not simply "will" away something with a prayer.

link   

Originally posted by ngchunter

Originally posted by Glinda
In mere hours (in the dead of night for what would be western experts, and w/o the crater or soil being examined) it has been DETERMINED that the two incidents are NOT related.

I could have told you that in seconds. The meteor hit Russia, which means it came from a completely different direction than 2012 DA14; the latter is coming up steeply from the south, from basically right below the planet. It couldn't hit the Urals period. Secondly, the meteor came from the direction of the sun, which is why nothing was seen beforehand. That's our blind spot. This should be a wakeup call to us both to get sun-orbiting satellites out there searching the area of space between earth and the sun for small asteroids, and to stop being distracted by non-issues like 2012 DA14. While nearly every amateur astronomer was glued to that rock, another came from a completely different direction and smacked us in the head.

hmmm a good analogy for how our crooked politicians work...

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Movhisattva

I'm telling you I looked out the window and I saw what looked like the sun. I thought "that's really bright" but shrugged it off. No joke, 2 minutes later, it was gone. The sun doesn't do that! It had to have been it.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

Wasn't anyone watching cnn today. A ten ton piece of this thing did hit in Russia, and they say that hundreds were hurt. Was me and my wife the only one watching the story. Come on people the big one didn't hit but we did see an actual meteor hit today. Although a small one this time but the fact is this 10 ton piece hit in an area that was populated and actually hurt some people when it hit. They even had video of it from one area.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by favouriteslave

Exactly! Praying for a huge asteroid not to hid earth is an empty prayer. You can't ask G-d to change the course of nature

Why not? I'm guessing you never heard the story of how Moses parted the Red Sea? This is what is called Mastery over the Elements and matter.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join