It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Huge Asteroid To Skim Past Earth At 18,641mph (TODAY!)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+33 more 
posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Huge Asteroid To Skim Past Earth At 18,641mph (TODAY!)

news.sky.com

A 150ft-long asteroid will skim past the Earth today - closer than any other near-miss on record. The huge chunk of rock - so big it is capable of wiping out London - will travel closer to the planet than many satellites. But while it should be visible as a tiny dot of light crossing the sky to those using binoculars, scientists say there is no chance it will hit Earth.

edit on 15-2-2013 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

+25 more 
posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 06:25 AM
link   
I find this slightly worrying although am not going to get my bug out bag just yet but with the meteorite hit in Russia it has made me think. Officially this is going to pass the earth at 1930(GMT) and it should according to astronomers miss the earth.

Let’s just hope they’re right because if they’re wrong this one is big enough that it would wipe out a city the size of London.

news.sky.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Personally i think the meteor that hit Russia was part of this asteroid but was missed by TPTB because it was too small. i slightly worry about this larger one nbut i know there is nothing anyone can do.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 06:35 AM
link   
reply to post by RestlessNRG

My thoughts exactly!

This is going to be the closest near miss ever, its going to be so close that it might be closer to the earth that some satellites are.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

How is this breaking news? We've known about this for quite some time and I'm sure you must have seen the countless threads regarding this lately.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by OtherSideOfTheCoin

My thoughts exactly!

This is going to be the closest near miss ever, its going to be so close that it might be closer to the earth that some satellites are.

If you'd done some research you'd know for a fact that it will be closer than some satellites. Ugh.

Please research your facts before starting a thread.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 07:01 AM
link   
And once again, when there is something in the sky to see, it's cloudy in my part of the world.
Dammit!

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Amazingly, twice (two different radio news services--one being NPR that my boss keeps on at work) have ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY ESTABLISHED that the Russian meteorite as NOTHING to do w/2012 DA 14.

Don't ask ANY questions. In mere hours (in the dead of night for what would be western experts, and w/o the crater or soil being examined) it has been DETERMINED that the two incidents are NOT related.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 07:08 AM
link   
How many hours left exactly?
2nd line

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Monkeygod333

Like 5 hours I think according to my guess.

This thing is way bigger than the one in Russia earlier.
That one is claimed to be roughly 10 tons.

This big one is like 150,000 tons(?)

edit on 15-2-2013 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 07:17 AM
link   
There is no official statement whether or not it is connected with tonight's Comet.
However some sources claim its not because they said it traveled east to west.

But if you look at some video's you can clearly see its not following an East to west trajectory.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Glinda
In mere hours (in the dead of night for what would be western experts, and w/o the crater or soil being examined) it has been DETERMINED that the two incidents are NOT related.

I could have told you that in seconds. The meteor hit Russia, which means it came from a completely different direction than 2012 DA14; the latter is coming up steeply from the south, from basically right below the planet. It couldn't hit the Urals period. Secondly, the meteor came from the direction of the sun, which is why nothing was seen beforehand. That's our blind spot. This should be a wakeup call to us both to get sun-orbiting satellites out there searching the area of space between earth and the sun for small asteroids, and to stop being distracted by non-issues like 2012 DA14. While nearly every amateur astronomer was glued to that rock, another came from a completely different direction and smacked us in the head.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Here's my first image of 2012 DA14, from just a short while ago (via a telescope in Australia):
i319.photobucket.com...
It's the white streak in the center. Exactly where it should be.
edit on 15-2-2013 by ngchunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 07:34 AM
link   
It's a clear day right now in the UK.... how/where/when is it best to look?

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrConspiracy
It's a clear day right now in the UK.... how/where/when is it best to look?

For all your ephemeris needs:
ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...
This thing is moving extremely quickly and will only be close to naked eye brightness (and even then you better have eagle eyes under pristine dark skies - basically, binocs required and very good pointing skills) for a short period of time near closest approach at which time it will cover the diameter of the full moon in the sky about every 40 seconds.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Glinda

Amazingly, twice (two different radio news services--one being NPR that my boss keeps on at work) have ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY ESTABLISHED that the Russian meteorite as NOTHING to do w/2012 DA 14.

Don't ask ANY questions. In mere hours (in the dead of night for what would be western experts, and w/o the crater or soil being examined) it has been DETERMINED that the two incidents are NOT related.

Exactly...it's just a bit too much of a coincidence for these two events to not be related. Indeed, if they are not, then this would completely skew the statistics we've all been given over the years for our chances of an impact in our lifetime. Of course, this math would be done by the same folks who claim that a billion dollar probe crashed because someone missed a 0....so forgive me if I worry just a little bit....

I could have told you that in seconds. The meteor hit Russia, which means it came from a completely different direction than 2012 DA14; the latter is coming up steeply from the south, from basically right below the planet. It couldn't hit the Urals period. Secondly, the meteor came from the direction of the sun, which is why nothing was seen beforehand. That's our blind spot. This should be a wakeup call to us both to get sun-orbiting satellites out there searching the area of space between earth and the sun for small asteroids, and to stop being distracted by non-issues like 2012 DA14. While nearly every amateur astronomer was glued to that rock, another came from a completely different direction and smacked us in the head.

That's more like it..at least some reasoning. But, if not related, see my concern above... Is it just target Earth week or something?
edit on 15-2-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
reply to post by Glinda

That's more like it..at least some reasoning. But, if not related, see my concern above... Is it just target Earth week or something?
edit on 15-2-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

I wish I had the answer to that, at the moment I have none except to say that 2012 DA14 is the least of our problems. It is disturbing, I will give it that. It's the astronomical version of looking for what you think is the boogey man under your bed while he sneaks up behind you from the closet. We were very fortunate it wasn't a bigger rock or a more densely populated location. Imagine if it had been a major high latitude city like London instead? There would have been no blue police box to save us in real life, and no warning.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Passage of asteroid 2012 DA14 which will make a record close pass by the Earth today around 2:25pm EST. NASA will begin streaming coverage of this event tomorrow at 2:00pm EST at this site:

www.nasa.gov...
edit on 15-2-2013 by SunflowerStar because: day edit

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 08:16 AM
link   

+19 more 
posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by samuel1990

Originally posted by OtherSideOfTheCoin

My thoughts exactly!

If you'd done some research you'd know for a fact that it will be closer than some satellites. Ugh.

Please research your facts before starting a thread.

Dude, check your attitude at the door. As a newer member you will find out that your arrogance won't be tolerated here for very long.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join