It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA reveals secrets it has hidden on the Curiosity rover.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+17 more 
posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 07:25 AM
link   

NASA has finally started revealing the secrets it hid in engineers in the Curiosity rover, which is currently driving on the surface of Mars. Engineers at the space agency have admitted that they used special coded tyre tracks on the rover. They use morse code to spell out JPL (Jet Propulsion Lab), the lab where the rover was put together. The track pattern — dot-dash-dash-dash, dot-dash-dash-dot, dot-dash-dot-dot (''.--- .--. .-..'') — spells out ‘JPL’ in Morse code, which translates letters and numbers into a series of short (“dot”) and long (“dash”) signals.

“We have intentionally put holes in the wheels to leave a unique track on Mars,” the Daily Mail quoted lead rover planner Matthew Heverly, of NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, as saying. “So if we are in sand dunes where we don''t have lots of rock features around us, we can use those patterns to do our visual odometry,” he said, In addition to the Morse code JPL, Curiosity’s wheels also feature a zigzag cleat pattern. Codes on the rover will be used by a smartphone app.

The includes a code on the rover that, at some point in the future, NASA will be using a special smartphone app to give space fans information. However, it has so far refused to give any more information on the codes, other than saying the tags will “allow the public to have an immersive experience of discovery as it happens”. Fiduciary marks on the rover are used to checks its parts haven''t moved. Several are dotted over its surface, looking like small targets.

Just read this interesting piece too:

A tiny chip on the rover carries the names of 1.24 million people who signed up via Nasa’s website A lucky penny is used to calibrate Curiosity’s camera system, and Curiosity is also said to be carrying cash.

Source Article

First time I hear about this feature on the rover. I am not sure if anyone else was aware of this, or if I am just a bit behind the times. However, I found it quite interesting. The smartphone app should also be very interesting to check out, if, and indeed when it becomes available.

vvv
edit on 25-8-2012 by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   
i understandstand everything except

Curiosity is also said to be carrying cash.

why would they do this? whats the point?

is the fed setting up a bank on mars?
is money so worthless now that they are dumping it on mars?
are they experimenting with that nano bacteria on bank notes?

i dont get it

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by jazzguy

Star for you my friend..

Yeah..what can be the reason for putting cash on the rover? How much cash..dollars, euro's? Using all the micro-bacteria to whipe out any intelligent life-form/ civllization...by accident?

It get even crazier...cash for a stranded NASA astronaut? So he can pay his hotel bill?

Sending weight into space is very expensive so why waste pay-load to such a "joke"?

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   
My conspiratorial theory about Curiosity carrying cash???

It's Jimmy Hoffa's ransom demand. We have finally found him!!

But seriously, it does make you wonder why they would send cash up there. The tire tracks are understandable and an expected "nod" to those who helped make Curiosity a reality.

If there was intelligent life up there, we can only hope that the huge list of names and the cash on delivery doesn't leave those "life forms" with ideas of "paid hits".

Somewhere, someone is going to take that idea and run with it.

Thanks for posting this.
S&F from me because I am always interested in these little "fun facts".

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by jazzguy
i understandstand everything except

Curiosity is also said to be carrying cash.

why would they do this? whats the point?

is the fed setting up a bank on mars?
is money so worthless now that they are dumping it on mars?
are they experimenting with that nano bacteria on bank notes?

i dont get it

If aliens find curiosity and see the cash, they will know we worship the all mighty dollar

Or to pay for some more nuclear fuel?

Cool find.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 08:17 AM
link   
maybe the cash is like a bribe to pass and investigate mars
like in mythical tales to cross a river etc...

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   
I'm looking but i can't find that list of name anywere
Would like to check if my name made it there

S & F

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   
How much cash? Gee they are already trying to buy Mars! sigh. lol.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

NASA has finally started revealing the secrets it hid in engineers in the Curiosity rover,
There are engineers in the Curiosity rover? How are they breathing?

I don't think that's what they meant to say. Or if it is, the engineers in the rover are a bigger surprise than the secrets they hid!

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   
If Nasa has already revealed secrets on curiosity, Youve got to wonder what other more important secrets are on this Rover. Now that this is the 3rd Rover to be put on Mars, im sure Nasa has had quite a few chances to sneak different experiments and other communication type secrets on this Rover, besides codes on the tire tracks. Still Very Interesting that JPL would create tires that have codes on them. Wonder if they are expecting something to see these codes besides Earth. They should of put a Binary code instead of Morse code if Nasa was expecting contact with other Intelligent life. Weird.
edit on 25-8-2012 by Glassbender777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by jazzguy

Hey, if you had to do half the work this rover has to, in such a hostile environment, you'd want some space starbucks too! Lay off man jeesh

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Glassbender777

If Nasa has already revealed secrets on curiosity, Youve got to wonder what other more important secrets are on this Rover. Now that this is the 3rd Rover to be put on Mars, im sure Nasa has had quite a few chances to sneak different experiments and other communication type secrets on this Rover, besides codes on the tire tracks. Still Very Interesting that JPL would create tires that have codes on them. Wonder if they are expecting something to see these codes besides Earth. They should of put a Binary code instead of Morse code if Nasa was expecting contact with other Intelligent life. Weird.

The JPL has a peculiar esprit de corps that leads it to engage in all manner of outrageous attempts at "branding." The lab was founded in 1936, twenty years before NASA, and they want everyone to know where credit is due!

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Why is it ok that there is even such a thing as "NASA secrets"? This has to be stopped, but it never will be. If an agency like NASA that is supposed to be civilian/scientific (but we know is more closely aligned with the military) is so secretive and evasive, imagine what else goes on in our gargantuan, deceptive, and corrupt Government?

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

You can't take seriously Indian News....they are full of BS..sorry..not good source of information.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by sprtpilot

Why is it ok that there is even such a thing as "NASA secrets"? This has to be stopped, but it never will be. If an agency like NASA that is supposed to be civilian/scientific (but we know is more closely aligned with the military) is so secretive and evasive, imagine what else goes on in our gargantuan, deceptive, and corrupt Government?

There are no "NASA secrets" here, you just read about them in an Indian newspaper. The JPL is being a bit sophomoric; even the design of the tread is a stylized JPL monogram. As for the "hidden codes," these are an attempt to generate popular interest in the mission by allowing iPhone users to access "Easter eggs" on-line. Curiosity also has a live Twitter account. More PR razzmatazz to keep NASA on the "keeper" side of the budget axe.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Maybe they can have the rover go in a series of maneuvers to Write out "Hi Rickymouse". If they do that I will quit harping about them wasting the money on this unnecessary project.
If they rub my paw, I'll quit trying to bite theirs.

The moon is a better destination. It's made of cheese.

edit on 25-8-2012 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
The money represents the most important part of life on Earth.

It also serves to lure a gypsy alien being to Earth in order to spend it.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by roadgravel

That's why the rover needs a Laser, it has to guard it's money.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by leolady
How much cash? Gee they are already trying to buy Mars! sigh. lol.

Well they can't leave a flag on there, can they? This is just the West's way of claiming ownership.

Will TBTB claim ownership under Terra nullius?

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Shame on me for even suggesting this, but ya know... it kinda strikes me as... *drum roll*

"The includes a code on the rover that, at some point in the future, NASA will be using a special smartphone app to give space fans information. However, it has so far refused to give any more information on the codes, other than saying the tags will “allow the public to have an immersive experience of discovery as it happens”. Fiduciary marks on the rover are used to checks its parts haven''t moved. Several are dotted over its surface, looking like small targets."

...Disclosure?
*ducks and runs*

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join