It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is this a UFO over Mars?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   
The first thing i thought when i saw it was ''fake''.It doesn't look real.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 03:22 AM
link   
reply to post by rick004

Yes, it's one of a series of photos, and the only one to show that.

The photos in the series have some minutes between them.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 03:29 AM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

Nice analysis that no one else bothered to look at about the times that these images were taken.
So ArMaP, what do you really think is going on here ?

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 06:12 AM
link   
To find out more about the photo, we need to decode the file name.

The file name of this photo is :

2P178208022EFFAE03P2264R7M1.JPG

Decoded, from left to right, we get :

2 = Spirit.

P = Panoramic camera.

178208022 = spacecraft clock, seconds since Jan 1, 2000.

EFF = product type, a raw image in this case.

AE = location count

03 = position index

P2264 = command sequence number, in this case the panoramic camera sequence.

R = Camera's right eye.

7 = Camera filter, in this case 432 nanometres.

M = product producer, in this case MIPL (OPGS) at JPL

1 = product version number

You can read about decoding these file names here :

marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov...

Hope this helps,

QV.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Elq10000

Maybe it's a tear in the Hollywood 'Green-screen'

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

Agreed its a fun shape. But i personally am sticking to defect mate. But you can look into it further if you feel there is substance here.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
hi op

its a rocket
look at the rear of it black bit looks like a fin
and u can just about see a a trail of smoke curving to the ground
edit on 18-7-2012 by davesmart because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   
It could be fake but real to, Ok this maybe my screen but on the first picture if you look closer i see a contrail, or sumthing else going up at maybe 45 dagree angle behind it. anyone else notice it or is it on my screen?

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep
Most likely something on the lens. If you look carefully, it looks like there is a line from the one point of it.

Yeah, probably something on the lens.

vvv

Stem saam, lyk na iets op die lens. Agree, something on the lens

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aarcadius
reply to post by Char-Lee

Agreed its a fun shape. But i personally am sticking to defect mate. But you can look into it further if you feel there is substance here.

Unfortunately I do not have the abilities required, but to me this looks real and I have always believed there is intelligent life on Mars anyway. it was a lot like Earth at one time and there was time to build underground before they lost their planet as there is still some atmosphere and water.

We have thousands of underground bunkers and if this devastation happened here life would adapt underground.
The martians may even be supplying themselves and trying to restore their surface by carrying food and plant matter from Earth.

I always said there was water there, and there is, now o am predicting that there is intelligent life there and probably by now if not long ago our governments know this.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Human_Alien
Not sure if anyone caught this as I did or whether it's of any importance but I caught a dot right below this anomaly, and it appears to be in a perfect straight parallel line below it.

Now, this could just be consistent with a glitch in the photo or..............perhaps, just maybe, it's some sort of beam that was discharged from this craft.

S&F for an interesting find

I actually think this observation makes it more likely to be a glitch, often when something glitches the effect will travel horizontally or vertically along an image. So that defect in the sky could be directly related to the white rock like object on the ground. I doubt it is a beam considering you can see other white dots lying around the surface.
edit on 18-7-2012 by OwenGP185 because: typo

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Forget the UFO... Let's discuss that ocean!

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by crackerjack

As I said on the previous page, I don't have any idea of what it may be.

Some kind of image glitch is always possible, but I don't think a glitch looking like that is very likely to happen.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druscilla

If you are referring to the black scratch looking thing in the sky, I'm pretty certain it's just an image processing error.

We see these all the time on the SOHO cameras, and for whatever reason regardless how well documented there errors are, they always seem to find their way to a post here with claims of aliens, space ships, killer mystery planets or something else.

This, of course, isn't SOHO, but, due the extremely weak nature of Mars's magnetic field, the bombardment of solar radiation on the surface is bound to glitch some photos every now and again.

This isn't to say that if someone really wants to believe the black mark is an alien spacecraft that they can't go on continuing with that belief.

Probability, however, is with the black mark attribution going to image processing error, or a few pixels corrupted during transmission back to Earth over the hundreds of millions of miles the data needs to be sent.

edit on 17-7-2012 by Druscilla because: (no reason given)

You're one of the more entertaining posters on ATS. They're always very, um, informative. But that of course comes from your vast array of expertise I assume.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by qvision

It was thanks to the fact that I know how to decode the image name that I said that the other images were taken some minutes before or after that one, as the sequence goes like this:

2 P 178207836 EFF AE 03 P2264 L2 C1
2 P 178207921 EFF AE 03 P2264 L5 C1
2 P 178207987 EFF AE 03 P2264 L6 C1
2 P 178207999 EFF AE 03 P2264 R2 C1
2 P 178208022 EFF AE 03 P2264 R7 C1 - This one is the image from the Opening Post

The next sequence was:

2 P 178208177 EFF AE 03 P2264 L2 C1
2 P 178208260 EFF AE 03 P2264 L5 C1
2 P 178208324 EFF AE 03 P2264 L6 C1
2 P 178208336 EFF AE 03 P2264 R2 C1
2 P 178208359 EFF AE 03 P2264 R7 C1

It's easy to see that I was wrong about the images taken before.
The image immediately before the one we are discussing was taken 23 seconds before and the whole sequence took 3 minutes and 6 seconds. The next sequence started 2 minutes 35 seconds after that photo.

Sometimes they take simultaneous photos from the left and right camera, but this was not the case.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
One of the reasons I find it strange to be an image glitch is that the "glitch" is more than one pixel wide, something I have only seen when the glitch is whole block.

An image that does not suffer from so much JPEG compression shows it better.

(click for full size)

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by ConspiracyBuff

What ocean?

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

I assume they are referring to the background, It looks like the ocean would look if the picture was in black and white, And it actually does look a bit like the ocean, But of course we all know it is not

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP

Originally posted by ConspiracyBuff

What ocean?

I thought that the area behind the land of the foreground looked like a body of water as well. Why does it appear vastly different than the foreground?

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov...

Panoramic Camera :: Sol 584

<< 1  2    4 >>

join