It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atlantis the evidence: BBC documentary

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
hello everyone
so i was browsing the freeview channel list, nothing on as usual
but then to my surprise i found this documentary on BBC4
and ive got to say BBC4 has produced some good viewing material recently on all subjects.
this documentary is called Atlantis the evidence
heres a breakdown:
the lady goes off to Crete and talks a bit
then she goes to the island of Thira which resembles the description amazingly to Platos description
then she builds on the resemblences of other aspects such as them being wiped out by a huge volcanic eruption followed by deadly hot ash and then a huge tsunami plus many other things which is why you should watch, not straight away but keep it in mind for them times when theres nothing else to do!

the island of Thira

as you can see there is a volcano right smack bang in the middle, which turned out to be the demise of the civilisation that once graced the island

Thira

so yea i hope you find the time to watch as it truly is fascinating and now im convinced that this is/was the Atlantis but not as magical as the Atlantis we here about!

Edit: because of this documentary i am convinced Atlantis by name is a fable that was created by Plato from the events at Thira

Enjoy

edit on 22-6-2012 by GezinhoKiko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
couldn't find it at first on iplayer as its on next monday according to Timewatch

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxatoria

or you could watch it anytime you like via the embed youtube in my above post

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I was about to come in here and ask someone take it and upload it but thankfully I see an embeded video! Thank you will start the load up now and watch it in a few

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I watched that doc a couple of days ago and was struck by the rehashing of old info. What about the fact that Plato said it was an island near the "Pillars of Hercules", Thera is no where near there.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by GezinhoKiko

didn't look at the video's length
thought it was just a trailer and with you mentioning it on freeview i thought it was back on the iplayer

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I had to read the Greeks when I went to University. I didn't understand Plato as much as Aristotle, but I liked reading Plato. The few remarks he made about Atlantis were obviously for the moral fate of hubris, not to be taken literally, just a fable. It is quite astonishing to me that people have made quite a career on those few remarks. lol

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Plato wasn't reporting factual events. But his story may have been influenced by real events - and the Thera erupton and it's impact on the major seafaring and trading nations of Crete, the Minoans, may very well have been strong infuence.

Whilst I don't agree with many of his assertions, Gavin Menzies makes a good case for Crete in The Lost Empire of Atlantis

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Whosthatgirl

i starred your post because to some extent i agree about the pillars of hercules but then again everything else fits.
its the place that resembles Atlantis more than any other with evidence for everyone to see

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by AndyMayhew

yes this is mentioned in the doc about Plato making Atlantis up but it certainly seems that the events at Thira was Platos footings for the fable
i failed to mention in my OP that i fully agree with the doc and believe Atalantis was never a real place but just a fable based on thira

edit on 22-6-2012 by GezinhoKiko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxatoria

no problem

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Yes the Island of Santorini is very close to the description of the Plato's Atlantis but not the location. Atlantis was outside the pillars of Hercules, therefore a better fit would be the Azores or Canary Islands. The native people of the Canary Islands specifically Tenerife called Guanches considered themselves descendants of Atlantis. When the Greeks visited the islands they called one of Atlantida. Now Santorini may have been part of the Greeks or a colony of Atlantis we don't know until there is more research done.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by DemonSpeedN

but the location could of just been plane fiction just like the name Atlantis
i am convinced Thira is the inspiration for Platos Atlantis as a fable
until there is 100% verified evidence of a real Atlantis, i am sticking to Thira

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by DemonSpeedN
Yes the Island of Santorini is very close to the description of the Plato's Atlantis but not the location. Atlantis was outside the pillars of Hercules, therefore a better fit would be the Azores or Canary Islands.

If it existed at all, it fits most closely with the Azores. And if you're going to use Plato's description at all as containing some dollop of truth, then why would anyone completely dismiss his primary description of its location? People can try to shoehorn Santorini into the Atlantis myth as much as they want, but it always falls short.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Lets remember Plato was a philosopher and a teacher not some story teller on the street corner. Plus he was told the story of Atlantis by his uncle Solon, who in turn was told by Egyptian Priests when Solon visited Egypt. The level of detail that the story has can't be made up and life many time can be stranger than fiction. I whole hardheartedly believe that the Canary Islands or the Azores is the general location of where Atlantis was and still is. You just have to dig deep enough and in this case you have to dive very deep, like a couple miles or more.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   

The level of detail that the story has can't be made up and life many time can be stranger than fiction.

I don't know about that. If we use that as a guide, then the Hobbits and Middle Earth must be real, too.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blue Shift

The level of detail that the story has can't be made up and life many time can be stranger than fiction.

I don't know about that. If we use that as a guide, then the Hobbits and Middle Earth must be real, too.

Not to forget Star Wars, Star trek and few other large works of fiction! People are very imaginative, I see look at how many thousands of religions there are....

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Lets remember Plato was a philosopher and a teacher not some story teller on the street corner. Plus he was told the story of Atlantis by his uncle Solon, who in turn was told by Egyptian Priests when Solon visited Egypt. The level of detail that the story has can't be made up and life many time can be stranger than fiction. I whole hardheartedly believe that the Canary Islands or the Azores is the general location of where Atlantis was and still is. You just have to dig deep enough and in this case you have to dive very deep, like a couple miles or more.

The problem with both sites is a lack of archaeological material from that age at both sites, or any sign on the Azores of any activity by man until 'recent' times.

If Plato's story about Atlantis was even partially correct and they were around the med, we'd have seen their influence and archaeological remains.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
I'm pretty convinced that 'Atlantis' was a worldwide seafaring civilization, not just a single island. Plato was most likely describing an island as a metaphor or it's geo-political centre. The recent theory of a meteorite shower 12,900 years ago seems a likely candidate for the beginning of it's demise. There are some great threads on ATS about it, including some really good ones by Slayer69.

Manly Hall has a really good lecture on the subject:

edit on 22-6-2012 by Funk bunyip because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Funk bunyip

My thoughts exactly, I couldnt of said it better.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join