It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Not Jesus but Yeshua

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Jesus is the Greek pronunciation and the New Testament was written in Greek. The Hebrew pronunciation is "Yeshua."

The Name Jesus used in the English language originates from the Latin form of the Greek name Ἰησοῦς (Iēsous)

What I don't understand is that people call him Jesus, while they should call him Yeshua, which is his Hebrew name, the name his disciples would've used and all the other people in that time.

Christians, why do alot of you call him Jesus and not Joshua (Which is directly translated from Hebrew the English) or Yeshua? Did you actually know about this? I have no harm against you, I'm just interested..
edit on 18-6-2012 by Jauk3 because: Spelling mistakes

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Jauk3

Jesus does not care about the exact pronunciation.
The thought is what counts.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by DISRAELI
reply to post by Jauk3

You are wrong... God takes His Name VERY seriously!

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvanB

reply to post by Jauk3

You are wrong... God takes His Name VERY seriously!

Jesus isn't God. He was the son of God.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Jauk3

Christians, why do alot of you call him Jesus and not Joshua (Which is directly translated from Hebrew the English) or Yeshua? Did you actually know about this? I have no harm against you, I'm just interested..

Is god really so petty as to nit pick, I know I am, I prefer being called Ben, Call me benjamin and it annoys the crap out of me.

I sure hope gods a bigger man than I.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Jauk3

Jesus is the "english" version...

Same as the bible is read in english in the english version of it...

edit on 18-6-2012 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by EvanB

The "name" which God takes seriously is his reputation, the honour that he's given.
It's not about the exact form of the sound that's coming through people's lips.
There are no instructions in the New Testament saying "Above all else, make sure you get the pronunciation right".

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jauk3
Jesus is the Greek pronunciation and the New Testament was written in Greek. The Hebrew pronunciation is "Yeshua."

The Name Jesus used in the English language originates from the Latin form of the Greek name Ἰησοῦς (Iēsous)

What I don't understand is that people call him Jesus, while they should call him Yeshua, which is his Hebrew name, the name his disciples would've used and all the other people in that time.

edit on 18-6-2012 by Jauk3 because: Spelling mistakes

His name is Yeshua and many of us who embrace our jewish heritage do know this. Jesus is the english rendition of Greek. Remember when the jews rejected him he gave the message to the gentiles who were largely greek or "grecians" in Israel. Back in those days Israel was heavily influenced by the greeks because of Alexander the Great and then the Romans. By either name he knows who you speak of, he reads your hearts and knows your thoughts.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon
reply to post by Jauk3

Jesus is the "english" version...

Same as the bible is read in english in the english version of it...

edit on 18-6-2012 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

No.. Jesus is the English version translated from the Greek version, which is translated from the Hebrew version...
The English version of Yeshua, directly translated from Hebrew to English is Joshua..

I hope you can still follow me

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Double post

edit on 18-6-2012 by Jauk3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Not exactly, actually. In hebrew, Jesus and Joshua are the same name (Joshua is the english version of the old hebrew name Yahshua/Yeshua). The King James version used to cause some confusion as it used to render Joshua's name - Joshua from the conquest of Canaan - also as Jesus (son of Nun) in the book of Acts, due to the various languages involved and resulting transliterations.

For some reason, when they updated this for accuracy and clarity, they DID go ahead and change his name in Acts to Joshua...but left Jesus as Jesus, despite Jesus and Joshua sharing the same name.

Weird, huh? Instead of just updating it for english, they kept a latin/old-english transliteration of a greek name...I guess for distinction? Otherwise, Joshua in Acts should still read as "Jesus, son of Nun"...and they should probably go back and change all his appearances in the old testament to read "Jesus" as well.

edit on 18-6-2012 by PeterWiggin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl
reply to post by Jauk3

Is god really so petty as to nit pick, I know I am, I prefer being called Ben, Call me benjamin and it annoys the crap out of me.

I sure hope gods a bigger man than I.

The only thing that annoys the piss out of him about his name is when no one will say his name and they use his titles instead. He even tells you in the OT he hates being called by titles He wants us to know his name, he wants us to say his name and to call on him.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   

reply to post by EvanB

The "name" which God takes seriously is his reputation, the honour that he's given.
It's not about the exact form of the sound that's coming through people's lips.
There are no instructions in the New Testament saying "Above all else, make sure you get the pronunciation right".

I have had a problem with this for years.. His Name denotes who He is... The Hellenized version means "Man of Zeus" and since God has no truck with any false pagan gods I will not demean Him by calling Him such.. The Name Yeshua as you know means Yah is Salvation or more literally "I AM Salvation"... There is a huge difference hey??

It is my personal thing, but I chose to use the Name truly given by God, the Name the disciples, His family, and everyone else called Him by and not the pagan name of the Greeks..

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Actually, Jesus real name was “Eesa” (Arabic), or “Esau”. (Hebrew); classical “Yeheshua”, which the Christian nations of the West Latinised as Jesus.

Neither the “J” nor the second “s” in the name Jesus is to be found in the original tongue – they are not found in the Semitic languages.

The word is very simply – “E S A U” – a very common Jewish name, used more than sixty times in the very first booklet alone of the Bible, in the part called “Genesis”. There was at least one “Jesus” sitting on the”bench” at the trial of Jesus before the Sanhedrin. Josephus the Jewish historian mentions some twenty five Jesus’ in his “Book of Antiquities”. The New Testament speaks of “Bar-Jesus”- a magician and a sorcerer, a false prophet (Act 13:6); and also “Jesus-Justus” – a Christian missionary, a contemporary of Paul (Colossians 4:11). These are distinct from Jesus the son of Mary. Transforming “Esau” to (J)esu(s) – Jesus – makes it unique. This unique (?) name has gone out of currency among the Jews and the Christians from the 2nd century after Christ. Among the Jews, because it came to be the proper name of their God(?) – their God incarnate.

The real name of Jesus Christ

edit on 18-6-2012 by iIuminaIi because: (no reason given)
extra DIV
extra DIV

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   

reply to post by Jauk3

Yep, it is really the heart that matters.
2nd

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

Fantasy characters cant have real children

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by iIuminaIi

Muslims wouldn't know Aramaic from Chinese. Yeshua is Aramaic. Yeshua is how his name is pronounced but it's actually spelled with the Tetragrammaton in his name YeHshuWaH or YeHoshuWaH.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Jesus.... Yeshua.... not much of a difference. Its the understanding of Jesus is what matters.

Interesting how some people smugly think they have the right pronunciation when they say "Yeshua". As if that discounts others who say "Jesus".

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000
reply to post by iIuminaIi

Muslims wouldn't know Aramaic from Chinese. Yeshua is Aramaic. Yeshua is how his name is pronounced but it's actually spelled with the Tetragrammaton in his name YeHshuWaH or YeHoshuWaH.

So if I am a bit miffed or perplexed at someone or something I now have to shout “YeHoshuWaH f…’ing Christ” to be correct?

Why don’t people come up with a new name and be done with it? I vote for Slapmonkey!

Mickierocksman

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Jauk3

Yeshua is the Syrian word that comes from the same Hebrew name that we (read, English speakers) call Joshua. Yeshua is not itself a Hebrew word.
Jewish people in the diaspora spoke Greek, instead of the Syrian spoken in Judea (at least 50% of the population of the province).
Jesus was an Alexandrian diaspora Jew who later moved to gentile (read, Greek) Galilee, so would have gone by Jesus, the Greek version of the biblical name, Joshua.
The Apostles were also Galileans, so would have likely spoken Greek too, plus you see in John how they spoke with the Greeks who came to the temple. Also Jesus had no problem communicating with Romans and people from outlying provinces who likely spoke Greek. The Apostles wrote the New Testament in Greek, and some Greek scholars believe Jesus preached in Greek when outside the district of Judea itself.

edit on 19-6-2012 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join