It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Must see Office email

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Hi all

I wanted to put this too the ATS members and get there feedback.

Before I copy the email to this thread the background of the company is as follows

UK Based business very large in terms of revenue, that conducts a lot of work with the UK Government. Recently the group has been taken over by a American consortium and a few changes have been made to the general day to day running.

Then this email today was sent to all members of staff.

"All

Recently there have been a number of notations made regarding individuals whistling, singing, humming, sighing loudly etc within the open plan office which in some cases has become repetitive.

Those concerned may not be aware of the actions that have been disrupting others within the team hence this email.

In response to this please could we all ensure we observe the requirement for office etiquette. As we are all in an open plan office sometimes the smallest of disturbance can be disruptive.

Therefore please ensure that you have consideration for your close working colleagues."

I personally could not believe what I was reading and wanted the ATS users opinion on the email I for one think this email is crazy and shows the lack of respect for the workers of this company.

The people that work in the office are professional people with a age of 25 to 55.

What do you think ?

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
No offense, but I tend to agree with the sentiments of the email.

If I worked in an open office environment,
I would be peeved with people continuously humming, whistling, singing, etc.

It is disrespectful to be disruptive when someone is trying to work.

I thought the email was tame and cordial to be honest.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by judus

If I heard people loudly sighing or whistling all day I'd be angry too.
When you have to share workspace, you should be considerate of other people.
That would entail NOT being annoying or bothersome.
Seems to me, someone complained and the company took the first step.
Kudos to the company.

But if I was being annoyed at work, I'd take it to the manager...
Either that or I'd yell....."HEY, KNOCK IT THE **** OFF!"
Then I'd probably get in more trouble but I'd speak up at least.
My voice is loud and I'm slightly intimidating when angry.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Weird, to say the least, wonder if there are any high frequency around, all these new terchnologies that have been applied to our daily lives, no one knows the full effects of these, constantly on, constantly sending certain frequency all around us. Cell towers, Cell phones, Wireless connections, etc......

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by judus

I think they've got a valid point, but they're also cheap for utilizing an open-plan office, and these measures aren't going to be enough to help to any appreciable degree, given the nature of the office itself.

Cracked just had an article covering this recently at 5 Seemingly Harmless Things That Are Stressing You Out that sums it up well:

So it's hardly a surprise that research has found that open plan offices can lead to high blood pressure, stress, high employee turnover and conflict. So why do companies keep making open plan offices? Surely there is some huge, hidden advantage in enclosing their employees in a glorified pen that feeds on their productivity. Why, of course there is: Open plan offices cost 20 percent less than cubicles. Read more: 5 Seemingly Harmless Things That Are Stressing You Out | Cracked.com www.cracked.com...

Sure, stop everyone else from these little annoyance that make the day of those doing them slightly more tolerable...and the remaining background issues will still be enough to make people crazy.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by judus

My personal opinion...the company has the right to set office policy for employees. If an employee is disruptive, and causing the general work place to be less productive, then they have the right to rectify the working environment.

Some people do have the habit of whistling, or humming while working. That's all fine and dandy if they aren't sharing a work space. I know it would probably drive me to distraction to work around someone who constantly did that around me while trying to do the job I was being paid to do.

jmoho....Des

edit on 31-5-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   
who ever made that up should be shot in front of their families.

oh someone famous has already said that.

but seriously 'offending other people' or being disruptive is a load of bollocks.

bloody do gooders at it again.
20 years ago you could (if you wanted to) smoke in the office.

It's all gone the other way now.
how boring, no sexual harassment any more.
No calling the boss a twat.

oh how easily offended the human race gets

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   
So we should all just sit in silence all day, so as not risk upsetting others with my sigh

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by judus

I'd send a 'reply to all' with the following text:

Woot!

Oh yeah!

Ye haw!

edit on 31/5/2012 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by judus

I think the e-mail is quite reasonable , one of my bugbears is people whistling made up tunes .
If it were up to me I would give the whistling offender a verbal than a written warning , if that didn't work they would be taken outside and shot as a warning to the other whistling hummers

People in enclosed areas need to show respect for the others around them .... or face the consequences

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by gortex

Old school management Gortex I Like it

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by judus

sounds like, perhaps, you are the whistler that the email was meant for.

Regardless of it being you, or someone else, it's a distraction to someone because, clearly, someone complained. An employer needs to ensure that the workplace is enjoyed (as best as can be) by all and that it isn't uncomfortable for any of the employees. If the whistling or humming or singing is annoying someone, it has to stop. It's silly, sure, but it's a bother to one, thus it goes.

Unless you work at a recording studio.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by judus
So we should all just sit in silence all day, so as not risk upsetting others with my sigh

Not the case at all.

I'm sure letting a "sigh" out would not cause a disturbance at all.
But doing it repeatedly in an effort to attract attention, now that's an issue.
Same with whistling, or clearing your throat, anything done loudly enough to cause problems.
People don't want to hear someone else's complaints or whines...etc.

On the other hand,
Some people just need to be loud for attention.
Others need to be quiet to be productive.
Just like a library, there's a courtesy that should be respected.
People are trying to work...
If you are sharing space with others...why not show respect and try to be quiet?
There's no need to draw attention to oneself by loudly "sighing" or whistling...

It's work. It's hard.
It's not supposed to be easy.
If it was they would've called it "Play".

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by judus

Yeah I ran a business for many man years in an open office, and although fun is great and I encouraged a relaxed atmostphere, you still have to be professional, making sure that people are doing their jobs and not being disrupted.

Honestly, if you have that much time to screw around during the day, then why am I paying you?

~Tenth

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
This was not my office by the way Guys & Girls.

I think I maybe posted to soon with out really thinking about the situation in more depth.

Well it seems I will have to go with the majority and wind my neck in.

or and get back to work.

Thanks all

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
That email would not have been posted to you had not some of your fellow co-workers complained. In other words, the issue was not generated by management, but by your fellow workers. If this was caused by a single worker singing, then management wussed out by not tackling the issue directly, but if this is a result of several complaints from several workers over several people, then the email is totally appropriate.

Like many office rules, this was not generated by management, but by YOU complaining about other workers. Frankly, I agree. I don't want to listen to your off-key whistling or singing. I don't mind a sigh once in awhile, but otherwise STF UP.
edit on 5/31/2012 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Personally I can't stand the Corporate Environment... and have worked ma & pa type environments for the last 10 years.. the money may not be as good... but I get to keep my soul

but if I did do corp-rat-race... and I received an email like that.... I would copy the Cc: listing (excluding top level management)... make a $#!+ account (whistleblowersunite@gmail/yahoo/aol/hotmail/etc.com) and ask everyone to spend the next 3 days learning HI Ho its off to work we go.... or the camp/military tune... or even some well known slavery song....

Then on the day start it up and see how many people vs robots you have working there... and send a message back to management

Or

Sit-down, shut-up and get back to work

edit on 31-5-2012 by FORMe2p00p0n because: I was in such a hurry I forgot to wipe

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   
I dont know about the rest of you but whisteling drives me crazy.

Its like the whisteler is imposing or almost forcefully invading my space or my mind with that dreadful noise.

I just want to strip down naked and chew their face off. (kidding)

But seriously I hate people that walk around whisteling, even if they are good at it. Its just annoying and rude.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   
What they humming, whistling and singing?
I've got a song that'll get on yer nerves, get on yer nerves, get on yer nerves..
I've got a song that'll ge...

Sorry.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by judus

You're right.
When it comes down to it, who is doing who a service?

If an employee is told by admin that he/she is an asset to the company, they should follow through with providing a comfortable work-space, giving each asset four walls with a door to close.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join