It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why does it even matter if Obama was born in Kenya?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bodhi7
reply to post by jude11

So, your answer to "Why is it a law" is "because it's a law" ? Hm.

I don't care that it's a law if nobody can give me any good reason as to why that law exists.

well..I'd do a complete history of the USA and the consistution ..

but, I won't .. suffice it to say..

the Constitution is the HIGHEST law in this country .. all decisions are made/tested against it, if the LAW doesn't agree, the decision should get thrown out, because the law stands.

and your reasoning is an exact reflection of our public school system .. because Constitution & Bill of Rights are not extensively taught in the the class rooms.. they are 'touched' on.. but not given enough time to be explained fully.. if they had been .. this subject would never exist on any of the forums..

Hi the books, time to study up a bit .. and unlearn what you learned in public school.
edit on 30-5-2012 by Komodo because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I'm going to answer the question that your title asks.
It matters because a man's heart is where his home is. There is an inherent loyalty to where you are born and, even though are forefathers were not born here, they understood it. And wrote into law.
Berry, is is not loyal to the people, the freedom, nor the Constitution of The USA, and it show in how he has severed this once great land.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Not only is it the law, but in regard to Obama, if he lied to become President, which would include a huge amount of fraud also, what does that mean to you?

Are you ok with a President that lies to get what he wants?

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I believe it was because they didn't want a subject from another country becoming the leader of a country they just defeated. Imagine if someone with loyalties to another country or was legally a subject of england, for example, took over and ran the country into the ground or even carried out a secret coup de tat. They could hand over all of our secrets in one handshake.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
it is simply to protect against having any foreign loyalties over loyalty to the US it makes perfect sense and is a smart law. Does that mean someone who was not born here cannot be loyal? Of course not but the founders did not want to take the risk and I agree with them.

link   

Originally posted by Mkoll
Foreign born citizens of the USA can participate politically at all other levels. The president is just a figurehead and representative of the USA with powers that help balance the legislative and judicial branch (on paper at least). So why is this law so much of a big deal to you?

I have to
because although you're right (a figure head) I love that one 'figure head' got caught with his semen on his Interns dress while fooling around on his wife.
And another one lied about WMD and murdered many over 9-11 which launched us into 2 unprovoked wars.
Then this one who STILL smokes cigarettes and was more than likely a drug user back in his day and in all likelihood was NOT born here.....'representing us'.

Is it any wonder why we're so disliked? I hate us and I'm one of us.

link   

Originally posted by kn0wh0w
reply to post by jude11

Really?

I'm answering the OP title: "Why does it even matter if Obama was born in Kenya?"

Oh come on now, you're better then this Jude....

Do you always only respond to the title of a thread?

I can see where you're coming from but the OP clearly asked/stated in his OP that he likes to know why it is a law.

Nah, just tired, grouchy etc.

The question has been asked and answered so many times on ATS that I figure everyone should know. by now that the reason is to ensure a lesser chance of having affiliations with other Nations.

Now that I think about it tho, the Bush family are clearly American and yet their interests are clearly not American.

hmmmm

A law that doesn't work. Imagine that.

Peace

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Bodhi7

It shouldn't matter.

We should just trash the Constitution and have only people born outside the US run for president.

I mean, OP, seriously.

Why not start a thread titled; "Why does it matter if you rob a bank?"

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I'm confused why half the people in this thread are being so hostile. In no way did i say this fits my beliefs, i simply asked why it mattered. (and appreciate the actual answers.)

Also, nobody has addressed the second part of my original post, why are people not concerned that immigrants can be elected to congress? They essentially control what the president even does.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Bodhi7

Someone being born elsewhere doesn't automatically change their ability to lead a country,

It's an issue of loyalty to America: sovereignty, values, culture, etc. (which is already under great compromise)....

Do we want a President who was raised in China, for example, with Chinese political values?

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
If its because they need to have 100% US loyalty and bleed red white and blue and have 100% Americas interest at heart?

If thats the only reason then allot of former presidents should have lost their job.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Those who are saying "Because it's the law".... EXPLAIN the reasoning behind the law, don't just give a sheep answer!

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Why it matters...

1. The requirement was put in place to insure the President would have no loyalties to other nations. This is the same reason dual citizenship holders are not supposed to be allowed in various positions of government though we've managed to let that one slip, too (apparently).

2. If he is really not a natural born citizen and is not legally eligible to hold the office, there are various people who would have to be helping to conceal that fact. We don't like our politicians to be obviously under the control or influence of others. The inferred status of currying favor in Washington is bad enough as it is w/ lobbyists and "consultants".

3. For those who say it's a stupid law, you have the option to change it. Get all your friends together and start the process of amending the Constitution to remove the requirement if you really think it's such a great idea.

I can tell you this much, I'm not aware of any other country who allows a foreign born person to hold the highest office. In fact, most countries will not allow people to become citizens, period. America has done more than our share in this regard, there's no need or benefit for us to be even more liberal on this subject.
edit on 30-5-2012 by ecoparity because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by DeReK DaRkLy

I get why the law was put in place in the first place, but in the 21st century, it sort of seems like our power as voters is being restricted a bit by it. Shouldn't we be able to vote for whoever we want?

Even if someone from Chinese gov. ideals were to run, they wouldn't be elected without lying. And if they were elected, none of their bills would be passed once their intent was known.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   

I did this in post two...but no one seems to be acknowledging it. Anyway...

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   

The answer that has been repeatedly given is that it is a matter of loyalty. It is easier to trust in a person born of the United States to execute the office of the president. Is that always objectively true? Of course not. Look at the past couple of decade's clowns in the white house. But since it is a constitutional matter the only way to change it would be a national referendum and a national state by state debate. It would bring all relevant things into question and people would eventually reach yea or nay as their state decisions

And since it is currently a part of our constitution I do care that a man would lie so deeply to get into the office. That is the real issue here.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bodhi7

I get why the law was put in place in the first place, but in the 21st century, it sort of seems like our power as voters is being restricted a bit by it. Shouldn't we be able to vote for whoever we want?

Even if someone from Chinese gov. ideals were to run, they wouldn't be elected without lying. And if they were elected, none of their bills would be passed once their intent was known.

Democracy is not "mob rule" and our system has checks and balances in it to protect us from it becoming such.

Don't they teach this stuff in high schools anymore? I would hope the average voter in America would have at least a luke warm concept of how the system works and the history of how it was built this way.

No wonder we're powerless to do anything about the corruption of our government. It's like playing a game where only one side even knows the rules.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Bodhi7

Technically, you can vote for whoever you want... .but your actual choices are limited more by the false left-right paradigm and those who propagate all the lies that maintain it than by the law that restricts foreign Presidents.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I think the question that needs to be asked is what matters more the letter of the law or the spirit of the law. While Obama's father was not a citizen Obama was raised in the US by US citizens and went to school in the US. Are you saying that you would have no problem with someone who may been born in the US to US citizens but were then raised abroad by non-US citizens running for president?

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by ecoparity

Democracy IS mob rule. Which is why we aren't one, we are a democratic republic.

Jeez, don't they teach anything in schools anymore?

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join