It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why does it even matter if Obama was born in Kenya?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I'm in no way showing support for Obama, and i get that there is a law in place on the matter, but why does that law exist? Someone being born elsewhere doesn't automatically change their ability to lead a country, and it certainly doesn't mean they're going to have some evil plan.

Also, if you're someone that's worried about an immigrant running the country, shouldn't you be more focused on the fact that immigrants can legally be elected to congress? They have far more power than the president.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Bodhi7

That does not matter. What matters is if he is a natural citizen. Since a requirement to be President is that the person be a natural citizen, it matters.

Only native-born U.S. citizens (or those born abroad, but only to parents who were both citizens of the U.S.) may be president of the United States, though from time to time that requirement is called into question, most recently after Arnold Schwarzenegger, born in Austria, was elected governor of California, in 2003.

source

Now, the quote above proves that you can be born elsewhere, but both people have to be citizens. Does anyone know if Obama's Father was a citizen? I know his Mother was, but I am not sure about his Father.
edit on 30-5-2012 by MarshMallow_Snake because: fixed a spacing issue

edit on 30-5-2012 by MarshMallow_Snake because: added quote source

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Because it's the law.

If everyone else has to obey the laws, the POTUS should be the marker in obeying the laws AND the Constitution that he swore he would uphold. But no...first he breaks the law and then he dismantles the Constitution.

If he doesn't follow the rules, why should anyone else have to?

ETA:

Status as a natural-born citizen of the United States is one of the eligibility requirements established in the United States Constitution for election to the office of President or Vice President. This requirement was an attempt to allay concerns that foreign aristocrats might immigrate to the new nation and use their wealth and influence to impose a monarchy.

So yes, by ignoring the Constitution in the first place he then set out to dismantle the rest. And why is it law? Because of the very thing he is doing. Could it have been done by a true American? Absolutely...just look at the Bush family.

But the answer to your question as to WHY it's a law is quite simply: "This requirement was an attempt to allay concerns that foreign aristocrats might immigrate to the new nation and use their wealth and influence to impose a monarchy."

I came off as rude at first. My apologies.

Peace

edit on 30-5-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

So, your answer to "Why is it a law" is "because it's a law" ? Hm.

I don't care that it's a law if nobody can give me any good reason as to why that law exists.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Bodhi7

I care about the law because it is a part of the constitution of the United States; the founding document of the law of the land. If you're game to let people run roughshod over the constitution that's fine for you but I will not abide by it.
edit on 30-5-2012 by Mkoll because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Bodhi7

why is it law you ask?

imho it's because if you're born in the USA you have the interest of the US at heart (most of the times).

that's why i think it's law.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by kn0wh0w

I think you're likely correct - I would assume it boils down to (right or wrong) national loyalties and other related aspects of where your heart lies and who/what your prime concern will be.

Son of a still-german father as president in 1930s/40s, and perhaps we would have sided with the Nazis? Might we have seen all sorts of different news here at home, with a German spin? Who knows...

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Doesn't seem like many understand the question.

I would have to say the law was written in a different age. It was a time when our nation was young and the founders wanted to ensure loyalty was to the new nation first. Someone born outside of the US (or to a foreign parent) could have a deep seeded loyalty to something other than the country.

That being said, it really no longer applies. All loyalty is for money in the modern era. When was the last time a president cared about this country, let alone had any loyalty to it. I don't care if President Obama is from the US, Kenya, Mars, or middle earth.

We need a president that puts the nation first, simple.

link   
"Someone being born elsewhere doesn't automatically change their ability to lead a country, and it certainly doesn't mean they're going to have some evil plan. "

I think thats exactly the reason, Immaturity and Fear.
Why do you think it took so long for a black man to become president?, how many more years untill we see a woman or an asian ect.

As for "the Law is the Law" answer. So we just obey the law blindly no matter how ignorant it is? Like how interacial marriage being forbidden was the "Law" And please dont bring the constitution into this, that thing may aswell be toilet paper by now with how Washington has treated it.
edit on 30-5-2012 by FuturePeace because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by Bodhi7
reply to post by jude11

I don't care that it's a law if nobody can give me any good reason as to why that law exists.

I'm answering the OP title: "Why does it even matter if Obama was born in Kenya?"

Answer: Because it's the law.

I also edited my first post to answer the other question.

Peace

edit on 30-5-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

link   
Ignoring whether he is or isn't a citizen, it is the law, and why shouldn't it be, what happens when every country sends their representative along with a heap of money to try for the presidency. Dumb Americans would end up giving control of our country to our enemies. There has to be a way to keep other countries from directly controlling the us govt., this is it, well one of the ways. When the un gets an elected head then everyone can have a chance, until then, there has to be some separation for choosing leaders.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Really?

I'm answering the OP title: "Why does it even matter if Obama was born in Kenya?"

Oh come on now, you're better then this Jude....

Do you always only respond to the title of a thread?

I can see where you're coming from but the OP clearly asked/stated in his OP that he likes to know why it is a law.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   

I'm in no way showing support for Obama, and i get that there is a law in place on the matter, but why does that law exist? Someone being born elsewhere doesn't automatically change their ability to lead a country, and it certainly doesn't mean they're going to have some evil plan.

Also, if you're someone that's worried about an immigrant running the country, shouldn't you be more focused on the fact that immigrants can legally be elected to congress? They have far more power than the president.

It's a good question but maybe it has something to do with their supposed unbiased allegiance ? Let's say you have a POTUS born in Italy. And something came up that pitted us against Italy. An un-American POTUS may be partial and give Italy more grace seeing that's his home country.

Or let's say we get a Polish born president and he spoke with an accent. Would that be fair if we couldn't clearly understand him?

I mean, there are a bunch of hypotheticals. I think requiring a POTUS (as sucky as they all are) to be born in the United States helps mitigate and absolve future potential issues.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Bodhi7

Because it is the highest most powerful post on this country and if it were not a law then lets say someone from mexico decided to get their name on the ballot and had enough voting base here thanks to your lovely democratic party that they got themselves elected to the highest office in the land. Then what do we have? A president that DOES NOT have this countries best interest at heart. The president HAS to be a natural born citizen. They need to live and breath USA. They need to bleed red white and blue. Not stand looking stupid while everyone else faces the American Flag and places their hand over their heart. The fact that you even ask that question makes me wonder how much you care about this county and whether people like you should be deported. This is just a dumb question.

link   
reply to post by DarkSarcasm

Yes, if people could just run without ever having been a citizen, that would happen. But let's just hypothetically say that law was amended, and that an immigrant can run for president after being a citizen for 30 years. I don't think anyone is going to be patient enough to live somewhere for 30 years just so they can attempt to put some evil plan into action.

link   
Foreign born citizens of the USA can participate politically at all other levels. The president is just a figurehead and representative of the USA with powers that help balance the legislative and judicial branch (on paper at least). So why is this law so much of a big deal to you?

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
Because it's the law.

If everyone else has to obey the laws, the POTUS should be the marker in obeying the laws AND the Constitution that he swore he would uphold. But no...first he breaks the law and then he dismantles the Constitution.

If he doesn't follow the rules, why should anyone else have to?

C'mon...you are really going to pose that question?

Peace

OP is asking WHY is it the law. Clearly we know 'it's the law'. But why? And I think that's a very fair question.
Laws are supposed to make sense or at least have a foundation for being implemented.

What if we had a 'law' that required us to flush our toilets only on the hour and if ignored, you face jail time. Now wouldn't you LIKE to know WHY that's a law?
Same thing OP is asking so.....answer the question instead of parroting the obvious.
edit on 30-5-2012 by Human_Alien because: fixed quotes

link   
It doesnt matter...now. Its after the fact now.

In the beginning....all anyone wanted...was him in for all obvious reasons.

Why can we do to him or about it now?

Is there any recourse? Maybe it can be prevented in the future?

Crying "FOUL!" after the game is over is kinda pointless...you know?

link   
You need to be born in the country you president over because your allegiance should not be in doubt.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   

reply to post by jude11

I agree to an extent on analyzing WHY certain things are laws...I'd imagine it was made a law so the country wouldn't be taken over through its own means of governance by a forgeign interests...(even though this has already happened in other ways)

If it wasn't a law...I wouldn't particularly pay attention but because it is and because there is the potential for the president to be breaking said law....that is strike 1, strike 2 is him lying bold face to the entire country and intentionally trying to cover up the fact he KNOWINGLY broke the law...strike 3 is all the illegal acts he has done since then with powers he gained illegal and mainted through deception and bold face lies.

ALL of the above is enough for me to think said individual and administration is A) unethical B) immoral and C) has malicious intentions...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join