It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This one is for THE METAL HEADS

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by curious7

I work professionally in the IT industry.
DMCA has affected MUCH more than just music.

Its a pain, and hindrance to my career.

Its not hardly about the price of the CD. If you break my salary down to an hourly rate, and compare to the length of their CD......
I earn more money working the length of their CD than what the CD would cost me.

When I spec out a system that will save a company hundreds of thousands per year (thus making me look good when its time for a raise), and it is shot down because of this stupid DMCA.....then I'm offended.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by curious7

You're not really supporting the artist when you buy the CD though. While it shows there is interest in the band, most of the money coming from the actual sale goes to the label. Most of the band's share of the profits comes from touring and merchandising. And in the case of a band like Metallica the massive contract they have with their label.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

That's true but I'd still rather pruchase a CD anyway cause as I said before on another thread, I like looking through the booklet and reading which instruments and equipment were used in the recording. Plus the excitement of bringing home a CD and wondering what the album sounds like is non-existant for me when I listen to something online or through a digital means.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Disturbed - The sickness is an awesome album.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 05:18 AM
link   
I'm 26 but i tend to lean more towards the bands of the 80s as u can tell
nothing agianst the newer bands, I listin to them too but i prever the 80s

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by JROCK2527
I'm 26 but i tend to lean more towards the bands of the 80s as u can tell
nothing agianst the newer bands, I listin to them too but i prever the 80s

OK OK I admit it... I love metallica, master of puppets and the black album. All things ac/dc. iron maiden. Black Sabbath Paranoid is awesome. Skid row were pretty cool too.

Maybe that's closer to what you were aiming for?

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   

In a way that's true, but it wasn't just the fact their music was pirated. They had pirated music appear online before anyone had the chance to by it. And there were file sharing sites which had fees to use it. So no one, not the band, record company or anyone but the owners of the sharing site was getting paid.

You're right..the bands don't get much from their cuts...especially newer bands. But even a small cut...I believe they are entitled to. People hate on Metallica, but its the record companies themselves who are the real theives. But it doesn't give other people the right to ensure the bands themselves don't even get the small portion due to them because of blatant stealing and sharing of their music.

Support your favorite bands by going to their concerts. Buy their T-shirts. But also by buying their music. Its OK to share a song or 2 with a friend..even the SCOTUS has said that. But if you decide you like it...go buy it yourself.

With that said....and back on topic!

edit on 13-2-2012 by webpirate because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by hudsonhawk69

I was just stating my preferences haha i got nothin agianst the new music haha.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Just throwing this out there, I'm not sure if anyone else has considered this or not... Is it possible that the scandal of Bill Ward not playing anymore is some form of publicity stunt? Given the way that social media works and such... You'll have every little scene queen suddenly being a black sabbath fan as the hype surrounding the album and world tour draws closer, and you'll have the old die-hards up in arms about the fact that the original heavy metal drummer isn't featuring in the line up... Because, surely, its ridiculous if he doesn't play on the album or go on tour... It would be the biggest shame... I guess the theory is, the outcry about Bill Ward not being in the band will serve to rally the fans and whence generate publicity somehow, anyone catch my drift?

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by hudsonhawk69
Disturbed - The sickness is an awesome album.

my goodness friend... Pantera beat the living heck of Disturbed in terms of aggression if that's your thing... But Black Sabbath, the first 4 albums, are where to begin the journey. Todays bands still can't approach their level of heavy with all there triggered drums and guttural screaming and fancy production

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Tasmanaut

I have to say you're wrong there. While Sabbath are great, Doom Metal has come a long way. Just look at a band like Electric Wizard or even 40 Watt Sun with their shoegaze inspired Doom. And those don't bands don't even come close to the dread and heaviness that can be evoked be funeral doom bands like Ahab or Evoken.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   

I LOVE Electric Wizard! yes they have topped Sabbath in terms of sheer crushing heaviness, I will certainly conced ethat. I was speaking more relative to say... most of the 'metal' the casual observer may have come across... I haven't slept in quite some time I thought this whole thread was to do with Black Sabbath

edit on 14-2-2012 by Tasmanaut because: added some more info

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 03:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Tasmanaut

Good theory on the publicity stunt thing, It is a possibility. so are you saying u believe that Ward will end up joining back up before its over?

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 03:40 AM
link   
well, I certainly hope so! It would be the most disappointing thing otherwise... any old drummer just won't do, he was a damn unique and talented man that pioneered what it meant to be a 'metal' drummer... Who else could they possibly get? Dave Grohl would at least be amusing and he would really enjoy it... Perhaps Vinny Apice?

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 03:42 AM
link   
Agreed. It wouldnt be the same without the original drummer. We will just have to wait and see what happens.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join