It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists able to talk to and teach dolphins sentences - Dolphins share a universal language.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I think this would make them a progressive intelligent species. With this we are probably able to learn from them in the future.

It's time to stop eating them now, Japan.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

They didn't happen to be saying "so long, and thanks for all the fish"?

Amazing post OP! I'm curious to see how far this communication can be pushed.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
My dog and cat understand when i talk to them. Sit, stay, treat....you want to go for a walk.....whats different here?

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
You know, if dolphin language is truely based on sonic imaging of 3D symbols, and they are as intelligent as we assume, it wouldn't be much of a step to teach them to read carved Egyptian Hieroglyphs...

Just sayin'...

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

Common urban legend/misconception. Many different animals have sex for fun/pleasure. Visit the zoo and you'll find chimps and gorillas masturbating. Obviously it gives them pleasure because they like doing it. They just don't have any shame associated with it like humans do. Having an orgasm releases similar hormones and chemicals in other animals which cause intensely pleasurable sensations. Humans aren't alone in our sexual promiscuity.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

What's different is a dog or a cat learn to recognize sounds and associate them with certain rewards or activities. Certainly intelligent, sure. But the dolphins in this case are the ones communicating back, and to each other. Basically, it's like the dolphin "wrote a note", which the scientists gave to another dolphin and it read the note. That's quite a bit different from an animal learning to recognize the phrase "sit" to mean sitting his butt on the floor for a treat.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Dolphins and Whales are being freed from this planet, and of course there'll be humans freed too. They are cosmic citizens. Very badly mistreated and abused ones by the board of directors of this planet, and even some common folk.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   
We have always known they are soul creatures like us! Whales and Elephants too!

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss
My dog and cat understand when i talk to them. Sit, stay, treat....you want to go for a walk.....whats different here?

The level of ignorance in your comment is beyond incredible. First of all, common household pets such as dogs and cats are only limited to react to stimulus by conditioning them through exercise/training. THEY DO NOT understand YOUR language.You and them, can't communicate. In fact, you may pronounce different words with the same connotation and they'll be tricked to react the same way as if you were using the word you believe they understand.

If you ring a bell every time you serve your dog food, he will be conditioned to begin salivating in his mouth every time the bell rings, EVEN if there's NO FOOD.

Anyway, just educate yourself before posting non-sense. That's just delusional...

EDIT: Also just so you know the difference between dog and dolphins. Scientifically proven, the dog brain is only as that of a three year old baby. A dolphin mind is more complex confirm studies.
edit on 30-1-2012 by Brenidi14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by OrphenFire

That's quite a bit different from an animal learning to recognize the phrase "sit" to mean sitting his butt on the floor for a treat.

I understand that completely, however there's a docu about a lady who owns a dog that knows several hundred commands, She can also show it pictures of items she wants it to fetch!!! Pictures are symbols!!!

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Brenidi14

Originally posted by camaro68ss

The level of ignorance in your comment is beyond incredible.
Anyway, just educate yourself before posting non-sense. That's just delusional...

(no reason given)

Why so rude? Is it not better to educate?

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   
This is pretty amazing. How long until the dolphins know enough of our language to start telling us things? What could we learn from the dolphins? Maybe they are way smarter than us.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by royspeed

Hands you a towel!

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Oh man, we're one step closer to Darwin from SeaQuest. Anything that gets us closer to SeaQuest is great in my book. (Let's just not have the translator have the same voice though.)

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Unbelievable!

Add that to the list of things The Simpsons correctly predicted.

edit on 30-1-2012 by jar11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Brenidi14

SORRY, remind me not to ask questions next time about topics. I guess im supposed to know all this already.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Not to derail this thread but I always thought this story was pretty cool.

Killer Whales of Eden Australia

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Reminds me of the 1973 movie "Day of the Dolphin".
I think, they could teach dolphins to talk then. At least it appears so to me.

Final scene:

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Dolphins have Self-Awareness...Self-Actualized. When they see themselves in a mirror...they know who it is.

The guy that trained the many Flippers said that he would roll the TV down to the dock and let them watch the show. They knew when "They" indivually were on the TV. That is awesome.

They are a gradient of our soul...not like wild animals, nor pets...but a soul level prior to our own (or maybe higher than our own)...this is the only way that I know how to say it!

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silverado292
reply to post by daaskapital

Nice find, I remember when I was in the Navy the Sonar techs would say they could talk to Dolphins and Whales. They said it wasn't too much just stay away danger or come play. They would use danger when we were going to use active sonar or fire weapons and come play when things were normal.

Wow, that's pretty cool

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join