It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists able to talk to and teach dolphins sentences - Dolphins share a universal language.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+56 more 
posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 05:57 AM
link   
wakeup-world.com...

Dolphins in two separate research centers understood the words, presenting convincing evidence that dolphins employ a universal “sono-pictorial” language of communication.

The team was able to teach the dolphins simple and complex sentences involving nouns and verbs, revealing that dolphins comprehend elements of human language, as well as having a complex visual language of their own. Kassewitz commented,

This is quite amazing! Scientists were able to successfully talk to dolphins.

Furthermore, this article proves that Dolphins share a universal language as stated:

he recorded dolphin echolocation sounds as they reflected off a range of eight submersed objects, including a plastic cube, a toy duck and a flowerpot. He discovered that the reflected sounds actually contain sound pictures and when replayed to the dolphin in the form of a game, the dolphin was able to identify the objects with 86% accuracy, providing evidence that dolphins understand echolocation sounds as pictures. Kassewitz then drove to a different facility and replayed the sound pictures to a dolphin that had not previously experienced them. The second dolphin identified the objects with a similar high success rate, confirming that dolphins possess a sono-pictorial form of communication.

There is much much more in the article for the interested reader

edit on 30-1-2012 by daaskapital because: fix up

edit on 30-1-2012 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   
I have always thought that when dolphins get together one of the topics of discussion is how stupid humans are. Imagine trying persistently to communicate with another specie and they just don't get it.

Glad to hear progress is being made. Facial expression dependency has handicapped us imho.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Very interesting OP,

I'm not sure why but this reminds me of the film 'Johnny Mnemonic'.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   
I've always thought that sea mammals, and dolphins in general were much more intelligent than most give them credit for.

Now we just need to build a translator...

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Keeper: ya want some fish, flipper?

Flipper: Naw, ya idiot, I want a whopper. now get going or i soak ya shorts.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Are they also not the only other animal to have sex for fun ?

Great story though

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Max_TO

Great story though

No, I believe girbils have sex for fun,but you have to get them drunk first.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

Awesome... I hope this is on solid footing and really makes some progress. Being able to communicate with Dolphins, being able to ask questions and get answers....

simply cool...

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   
I think dogs also have sex for fun they are always shagging anything that moves even your leg.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   
One thing is for sure , it would be amazing to crack an alien language !

However impressive this story is , I don't think to many people will be surprised to learn that Dolphins have a " language " . Pretty sure we have all thought that was the case

+17 more 
posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   
As long as the first thing they say that we understand is not;-
"So long and thanks for all the fish".

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Max_TO

Great story though

That is what they say. Although when another female dog humps another female dog, or a male dog humping a humans leg and so forth. I would think dogs have sex for fun too.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
David Brin's vision is coming to fruition.... slowly...

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I don't know why, but this made me think of some of the crop circles that have been around, and also the strange sounds in the sky...perhaps other beings "out there" communicate much like dolphins. I wonder what would happen if they played the strange sky sounds to dolphins, I wonder how they would react.

I wonder about the crop circles, mainly the one that appeared next to CERN I think it was, which was suggested that it was an answer to Carl Sagan's message that was put out in space.
Sound vibrations making crop circles? Making pictures much like how a dolphin "sees" the sound in its mind...

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
i think what he means to say is the only animal that masturbates for pleasure

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
WoW any one wanna watch flipper with me now? lol

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

Nice find, I remember when I was in the Navy the Sonar techs would say they could talk to Dolphins and Whales. They said it wasn't too much just stay away danger or come play. They would use danger when we were going to use active sonar or fire weapons and come play when things were normal.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Dolphins, elephants, and apes are among the smartest animals on the planet.
They are also some of my favorite animals

There have been amazing stories with dolphins for hundreds maybe thousands of years! Like dolphins guiding ships back to shores in storms and even dolphins fending off sharks to save a human.
Truly amazing animals

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Silverado292

That's amazing another weird dolphin story.
Animals never seize to surprise me.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
this is amazing! before long these dolphins will be running for public office, and probably win!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join