It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The GRAPHENE mega thread - because it's technology you need to know about!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 03:38 AM
link   
I've read about this stuff, awesome, lets hope that this tech finds it's way into our daily lives and is not suppressed like many other things.

For those ATSers interested in Technology, here is a website that I find myself on all the time.

www.gizmag.com...

They usually post stuff daily, check it out, you"ll like it !.

Peace

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 04:10 AM
link   
reply to post by FutureThinker

Nice site! Seen it a few times... and I think I snagged the elephant pic from the OP from them

This is so widespread and openly researched I can't imagine there's any way it can be kept from the general public. Plus the price will be extremely low - something like $5 USD per pound expected in the next few years.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 04:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Thermo Klein

call me selfish - but i want climbing and caving rope
if its melt point and abrasion resistance is sutible - imagine being able to relace 11mm ropes weighing upto 80g / m with 3mm graphine cordage wiughing < 5 g / m that is stronger than the current nylon / polyester / kevlar ropes in use today

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 06:02 AM
link   
I want to build a synthetic Humanoid just made from Graphine, from the processor controlling his mega brain to his super duper muscle's made from the same stuff.
He is called Bob.
Expect him in the post by friday cheers

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Is this technology from somewhere else that is being sold as a discovery.

If you need to use technology beyond our skill level (would not be hard considering we are retards) then you gotta promote it (progandize) as a scientific breakthrough.

IBM is now new to this technique

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Oh man, this thread is great. I agree that graphene will change everything. I'm a big fan of Raymond Kurzweil so I can definitely see how this will change humanity. I imagine in the future we'll have bones that will be augmented or completely replaced by graphene. Graphene, when it is cost effective to mass produce in efficient structures, will most likely be the building material or at least a major component we use for our ships and probes to explore space. This is only the beginning because I think in 10-20 years we will have something better or maybe even several things better than graphene. There are so many implications! I'm excited about graphene!

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Could this be a replacement for Kevlar vests? It's described as flexible, stronger/lighter/flexible than steel, perhaps on vehicles with a Graphene body, less weight = more millage and less damage upon collision.

Sounds like an awesome substance.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 07:12 AM
link   
what is the most awesome point to the OP is the implications to a new substrate for the new chips...a computer with a Tera hertz of processing speed with virtually no heat discharge is truly as revolutionary as the change from "vacuum tube" to "solid state"...I fear a brave new world upon us, it is as much exciting as it is frighting...might be 10 years before we really see it in the main stream. get ready, for the future is here.
edit on 1-1-2012 by Andronian because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-1-2012 by Andronian because: puncuation

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   
synthetic hearts, kidneys, muscles, bones, ligaments and maybe nerves could be made by 2030.
edit on 1-1-2012 by Semicollegiate because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 07:47 AM
link   
I'll venture to say that graphene is another one of those materials discovered from crashed UFOs. It explains very well the long-reported characteristics of the metalic film material supposedly found at the Roswell crash site. The comparison seems an exact fit. (I'm sure this is not a new observation.)

Possibly this same substance in a slightly different form is also the material that comprises the suits of the UFO greys. While form-fitting, they reportedly have protected the critters from direct gun shots.

For a couple of decades, those of us interested in aviation have been fairly blocked in our ability to understand the existence of the large chevron UFOs that have been reported with some regularity. The blockage was due to the exteme design of these flying-wing-type craft that would be structually impossible by any earthly standards. This in turn make reports of them of dubious value except to be considered of alien origins. And of course, this material also carries across to allowing the existence of the more ubiquitous black triangles seen in the last three decades some of which have huge dimensions that defy conventional engineering in structure size for an aerial vehicle.

A bit of internalizing graphene's apparent capabilities and applying them to what we can actually see out there in the world that works secretly around us explains a lot. Why there is no shuttle back up ever seriously attempted. Why we develop conventional devices like the F-22 and F-35 and sell, give away or allow their designs to be stolen. Such "high-tech" but conventional devices are child's play when compared to graphene-designed craft. The graphene future is here, but the military, as always has grabbed it first and won't let go easily.

Just think, folks. We have been allowed to believe that carbon fiber composites were the hot materials of the day!

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Thank you OP, this is probably the single most provocative and interesting thread yet posted on ATS. This seems only limited by imagination. I don't know what it is, but something is lending my mind towards 'The unified field theory', somehow or other it seems this stuff is in the mix in the explanation. Maybe that's a big nothing, I don't know, never the less, here's a thought..... The notion was proposed of a space elevator..... this seems to have the properties for just such a project. Shear strength, electrical conductivity, and were it woven into a rope-like cable, it could act as the link between a space station for the lift/elevator, the lift capsule using it like a cable is used on a trolley or cable lift. Possibly using it's electrical capabilities as in an electromagnetic source to power the lift/elevator from the surface to the station, pretty much self contained.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by FutureThinker

Great post TK, enjoyed your thread about Roswell too. Wow !

I was thinking about this, I wonder if anyone is going to post about the Roswell crash and low and behold it was.
That 1947 comment was very interesting.

Just a thought, how long will it last through time? With a material like that wouldn't it last thousands of years? If so why don't we see it around the monolithic stone structures? Maybe because it has nylon like qualities that is bendable, Couldn't graphene be made to not be bendable? I am not sure why like in Puma Punku at the dog bone type joiners (dog bone type matrix's that join monolithic stones together) Why it oxidized and disappeared through time? Because the Ancient Alien theory is that those monolithic stones were made by an advanced civilization. You would think that a material like that would show up anciently?

edit on 1-1-2012 by thetiler because: spelling and additional thought

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   
CONSPIRACY * CONSPIRACY * CONSPIRACY

LOL .....lol Or here's a thought, could it be that the ones who think up ideas are thinking outside the box, and throwing this post out there in the hopes of finding some use Not Yet Thought of.......... wwooooeooooooo woooeooooo, (spooky music)
edit on 1-1-2012 by Plotus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   

edit on 1-1-2012 by kcoyote because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   

That's pretty amazing information.

Thank you for sharing it. In addition to possibly being reversed engineered from Roswell the potential anti-gravity effects are exciting.

I would also like to see the day when I can buy a sheet of it and place it over my existing windows for added security.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   
The innovation in carbon atoms has been held back for a long time. The fact that a Nobel Prize was handed to the pioneers of this which in turn shined more light on this revolutionary discovery for the masses. This will not speed up the implementation of graphene into the feilds it is more likely to benfit us the populace. It is and allways will be about the implementations that makes the most profit for the corprations and there investors. Science with all its feilds is the largest and most profitable for corprations. Science should be solely for the betterment of man BUT sadly it is just another industry with that in mind it is not hard to understand that the biggest sell outs of human kind come from this industry. S&F OP good find we need as many ppl to know about this.
edit on 1/1/2012 by indisputable because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   
The Future of Nano-Electric Power Generation

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
"A graphene sheet is only one atom thick"- how about the worlds thinnest condom?

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Sounds like this could be used for the betterment of all mankind, but being who we are as a species will only be used by the military and the elite and then shelved like so many discoveries before it.

The existence of Graphene probably explains some of the strange things flying around out there. One can only imagine what scientist are working on today if we are being allowed to know about this..................Graphine is most likely old hat by now.

Great post, thanks.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   

so does any1 know if this is being used for body armor? and also sence its conductive i wonder if this would work for there invisible armor products. kool stuff i hate how i think about war applications right away but im sure its already been done.

i wonder if this is where they got the idea to produce transparent aluminum (if they have) i thought i remeber seeing a topic on here about that.
edit on 1-1-2012 by SpunGCake because: another thought

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join