It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The GRAPHENE mega thread - because it's technology you need to know about!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 12:25 AM
link   
since it's come up a few times... here's an article on graphene being used in solar panels:

Physics World: Graphene could make 'perfect' solar cells

Due to the ultra thin layers and almost complete lack of resistence they would make wonderful solar panels.

It's also mentioned in the Wiki page:

Solar cells

The USC Viterbi School of Engineering lab reported the large scale production of highly transparent graphene films by chemical vapor deposition in 2008. In this process, researchers create ultra-thin graphene sheets by first depositing carbon atoms in the form of graphene films on a nickel plate from methane gas. Then they lay down a protective layer of thermoplastic over the graphene layer and dissolve the nickel underneath in an acid bath. In the final step they attach the plastic-protected graphene to a very flexible polymer sheet, which can then be incorporated into an OPV cell (graphene photovoltaics). Graphene/polymer sheets have been produced that range in size up to 150 square centimeters and can be used to create dense arrays of flexible OPV cells. It may eventually be possible to run printing presses laying extensive areas covered with inexpensive solar cells, much like newspaper presses print newspapers (roll-to-roll)[171][172]

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Could I hop into a Graphene sleeping bag,
and be protected from
Bullets and/or Tornado's ?
And how much would it cost?
I bet ya that giant friggin triangle the, Air-Force
flys around, is made of this component.
(or graphene 30 years advanced)
Projecting what's above it to the bottom of the craft.
To be "invisible".
Well, it's possible..

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Here is your non stop shopping spree for all your graphene needs.......

www.physorg.com...

BTW,you left out carbon nanotubes.

edit on 1-1-2012 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-1-2012 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Another thing I heard on is that the guys who published the papers from the UoM decided to publically release the data and reports and not sell them or try to patent their methods. This is the reason why graphene research has taken off all over the world, and partially why they got the nobel prize.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by sealing

so far the graphene sheets have been made in extremely small dimensions and mainly focused on electronic functions. However as the technology progresses I can't imagine it wouldn't be used for things like bulletproof vests, etc.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

actually it got a line in the History part, but it could certainly be mentioned again!

(Shortly after, we created bucky tubes, or Carbon nanotubes, that were strong enough to hold a satelite in orbit and smaller than a human hair.)

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thermo Klein

actually it got a line in the History part, but it could certainly be mentioned again!

(Shortly after, we created bucky tubes, or Carbon nanotubes, that were strong enough to hold a satelite in orbit and smaller than a human hair.)

I apologize,just skimmed through your awesome thread real quick,just got home from celebrating new years.
Happy New Years to ya!

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jon Quinn
Another thing I heard on is that the guys who published the papers from the UoM decided to publically release the data and reports and not sell them or try to patent their methods. This is the reason why graphene research has taken off all over the world, and partially why they got the nobel prize.

I had to check this out!

Here's Andre Geim's answer from an interview (Geim is the co-recipient of the Nobel Prize); from Nature article Andre Geim: in praise of graphene; Nobel laureate explains why the carbon sheets deserved to win this year's prize.

You haven't yet patented graphene. Why is that?

We considered patenting; we prepared a patent and it was nearly filed. Then I had an interaction with a big, multinational electronics company. I approached a guy at a conference and said, "We've got this patent coming up, would you be interested in sponsoring it over the years?" It's quite expensive to keep a patent alive for 20 years. The guy told me, "We are looking at graphene, and it might have a future in the long term. If after ten years we find it's really as good as it promises, we will put a hundred patent lawyers on it to write a hundred patents a day, and you will spend the rest of your life, and the gross domestic product of your little island, suing us." That's a direct quote.

I considered this arrogant comment, and I realized how useful it was. There was no point in patenting graphene at that stage. You need to be specific: you need to have a specific application and an industrial partner. Unfortunately, in many countries, including this one, people think that applying for a patent is an achievement. In my case it would have been a waste of taxpayers' money.

Also, there have been over 400 patents already submitted concerning graphene.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 12:47 AM
link   

no worries at all - Happy New Year to you too Kdog

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thermo Klein
reply to post by sealing

so far the graphene sheets have been made in extremely small dimensions and mainly focused on electronic functions. However as the technology progresses I can't imagine it wouldn't be used for things like bulletproof vests, etc.

Damn... Of course....
Well it's either bullets and/or tornados for me.
So is there a giant race on to produce Graphene
as quickly as possible?
Can I get what I need to make it at Home Depot?
Why aren't we all spinning a giant wheel that makes
continent size pieces of Graphene?
If there was a comet about to hit the US
and everyone in the country played
the "parachute game",could we negate most of the energy?
Except of course those brave and flattened
parachute lifters directly in the path.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Ha that does make sense, I guess I can no longer think that altruism and the ambition to better mankind was the cause of no patents instead it was a threat from the corporate monsters.

The cold bitter truth!

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Jon Quinn

well he did opt to save the taxpayers money

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Cool thread, and great posts. Just bought a graphene heat absorbing pad for phones to test it out on other experiments. I was particularly interested in the research on biocompatible graphene transistors. This seems like a material with infinite applications.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Star. Flag. Subscribe. All I gotta say

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 02:26 AM
link   
WOW

This is impressive stuff, unlimited potential really,

It really concentrates on nano and electrical products usage, but what about construction use, you could make some cool ships with this stuff, its changes everything

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 02:27 AM
link   
I'm thinking superconductor at room temperature and the ability to have high strength structures be invisible means we could have big power plants away from everyone and superconducting power lines and supports for them that are invisible except for markers for aircraft. Only problem might be what happens if birds hit the lines. If it is superconducting, maybe the amount of graphene material would be minimal to carry a lot of power or current. The lines might need one layer of graphene to act as an insulator if that were possible.

Also if this material speeds up the transfer of energy at room temperature, maybe it could also speed up the transfer of information for our internet service so that broadband speeds get really fast. Then we just need to improve the wireless connection points using some type of less expensive but faster radio communication equipment. Being able to use power lines to communicate wireless data would likely improve speed and data transmission rates if devices could transmit data back and forth from a mobile device to a nearby power line that could be in a building. Someone just needs to invent the technology. The graphene material sounds amazing. Thanks for posting.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 02:32 AM
link   
At the same time, what about the statements we've heard that the government is always at least 10 or so years ahead of the public? Does this mean they've already thought about the uses of these things and have developed countermeasures to any weapons that could be made using this?

It must be very difficult to work in certain parts of the government and knowing things that could help so many people but having to keep quiet. Imagine meeting people you could help but having to deny them things that could change their lives.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 02:50 AM
link   
Jesus I want a huge sheet of this to pull pranks on my friends alone... Imagine stretching this across a door frame and have a unsuspecting idiot run through the door. So long Jackass here come's nerdass
edit on 1-1-2012 by _R4t_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Thermo Klein

Just imagine what We could do combining this with the free energy of electrogravitics!

This world would be SO magnificent as We build and develop for the betterment of Humankind rather than for profit. [sigh] But will They let Us have this?

Just the graphene - because They can profit; no electrogravitics.

(For more on electrogravitics, see My thread: www.abovetopsecret.com... )

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 03:38 AM
link   
so they finally reversed engineered the wreckage from roswell. or at least one part of it.

how can you "discover" properties of a material that you created.

it's like baking an apple pie and then the chef who prepared it claiming he discovered it contained apples.

it just doesn't make sense.

it does make sense though if you try to replicate an unknown recipe without knowing the correct measurements of ingredients.
you have now way of knowing how it will taste.

or they were given a sample by some unknown agency as payment as per the current extra-terrestrial treaty signed with the american government.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join