It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Glass Dome Over Crater on Moon

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by smurfy

Besides this (highly) questionable application, I totally appreciate that article. Thank you!

On the other hand, Day has developed glasses which are so insoluble in the body that they are being used to treat cancer by delivering high doses of radiation directly to a tumor site.

science.nasa.gov...

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
I was all ready to scoff at this because the bases and structures that Hoagland talks about dont appear to be anything to me. This dome however looks like its there.

If there is a dome there how big is that?

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Hum...

I see something resembling glass, but cant really tell...

Must keep working on these NASA pics, something's got to give....

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Very good thread... thelivingmoon.com... ...this might be of some interest to you. Mr. Lear has been doing this for a lot of years and would still be on this site if it wasn't for a set of unfortunate circumstances. Lots of love and light-----
edit on 25-10-2011 by MontaukProject76 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   
It's obvious where this glass structure spoken of is located. It's also obvious it's nothing but a crater. I wonder if some people post on here just to make us all sound crazy sometimes?

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Yeah I heard they're gonna host the superbowl there this year.
Oh and Celine Dion is doing a concert there also

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by knightsofcydonia
glass on the moon is 10X's stronger than steel on earth. thats why the monuments there where constructed of it. All of the Apollo missions to the Moon captured stills using super ektachrome film.

Common knowledge - everyone knows this, right? I remember learning this in 5th grade.

How the hell would you know this????? What a load of BS.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by watchZEITGEISTnow

Bloody el.... what a waste of time!!!

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
As far as I know, impacts can create so much intense heat that the sand around the immediate area can actually turn to glass (impactites). Might this be a reflection of that glass?
geology.com...

Since impactites consist primarily of deformed terrestrial material (sometimes containing small preserved remnants of the original meteorite) they are predominantly a product of the target rock present at the time of impact. Sand can melt into impact glasses such as Libyan Desert Glass and Darwin Glass; rocks may be shattered and compressed into breccias such as suevite that contain minerals formed at high pressure

edit on 23-10-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

I vote this to be the most logical answer. This way we can celebrate American style, everybody wins (everybody gets a trophy). The people who say its glass are right and the people saying it's not a dome windshield for the moononium falcon are correct too....

edit on 25-10-2011 by Turkenstein because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Turkenstein

Except that it could not be a dome, and could not be a dome over a crater either.
edit on 25-10-2011 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by smurfy
reply to post by Turkenstein

Except that it could not be a dome, and could not be a dome over a crater either.
edit on 25-10-2011 by smurfy because: Text.

and it could not be green ham, it could not be green eggs and ham, sam I am......

How do you know the crater wasn't formed by whatever hit it hard and hot enough to create the glass. As it cooled and the thermal shrink factor was figured in the glob of glass could easily hold that shape since it would solidify as it shrank in the cooling process. If possible, visualize and think about the physics of the impact and you would easily see how this could hit and form into that shape.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Looks like a classic upheaval dome to me. You will see them in alot of impact craters.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by scorpio9gm
Looks like a classic upheaval dome to me. You will see them in alot of impact craters.

Please show us another one, seeing as there are a lot of them, thanks

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by AwakeinNM
Common knowledge - everyone knows this, right? I remember learning this in 5th grade.

Well the FACT that glass made in a vacuum is stronger than steel IS common knowledge in the scientific community and NASA, but I seriously doubt they taught that in the fifth grade... unless you live in Eureka

How the hell would you know this????? What a load of BS.

Well the internet is a really powerful tool, but it still requires that you have the ability to READ... kinda like leading that proverbial horse to the water... As I recall I posted the links to NASA on page 2 about the stronger than steel glass... but then you probably only read the first post before the urge to call BS overwhelmed you, right?

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by shamdaddy
I was all ready to scoff at this because the bases and structures that Hoagland talks about dont appear to be anything to me. This dome however looks like its there.
If there is a dome there how big is that?

Yes the dome is there... and it fills the crater. I can look up the resolution scale on that... but the fact that it fills that crater rules out the meteor impact theory of molten glass. For a meteorite to create such an impact to melt enough glass to form that 'dome' would require a huge meteorite, much bigger than the crater we are looking at.

I always get a chuckle when skeptics so desperate to believe their version just make a statement like "a meteorite did it" without looking at that scientifically. Makes them just as bad or worse than the hard core believers

Besides, the tektites and glass found on Earth in the deserts? Its still only a THEORY that they were caused by meteorites
Could just as easily have been created by nuclear like blasts in the past (odd that the area is now desert
) And guess what? In the Nevada desert at the atomic test site, guess what we find? Tektites and molten blobs of vitrified sand (glass)

I would like to see that area in LRO pictures

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

These do not reconcile:

Yes the dome is there... and it fills the crater.

..and...

I would like to see that area in LRO pictures

The first statement is more of a desire or *wish*-based opinion. The second is far more scientific, and truly what is required in order to settle this issue.

Based purely on what is provided in the OP, there is far more evidence for an optical illusion, based on specific time of day lighting conditions. The appearance of a convex "dome" when it is really a concave depression. This is not uncommon, in the Human eye/visual cortex relationship, and the perceptions (mis-perceptions) that can develop.

Shall we re-check the original sources that were the basis for the OP? If those were already posted, I missed them...good to repeat anyway, since many only read the last page.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Originally posted by scorpio9gm

Please show us another one, seeing as there are a lot of them, thanks

Took five seconds.

You're right. The internet is a powerful tool.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by draknoir2
Took five seconds.

Well yes, black dragon, congratulations. Your infinite wisdom has shown us that there are other craters, even on Earth.

But I do not see a glass dome in that one... so please DO try to focus on the OP of this thread and show us another crater with a glass like dome..

Thanks

edit on 27-10-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
There is no glass dome.

Originally posted by Phage
Posted here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Why not use the higher quality images which are available?
Here's the crater, recognizable by the three craters to the left.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/495e784585d9.png[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/90eabfe832ac.png[/atsimg]

www.lpi.usra.edu...

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
NASA calls these types of craters "Concentric Craters" and there are more than one:

www.lpod.org...

There are two current explanations for how the formed:

1. Volcanic: magma pours into the crater from impact fractures
2. The walls of the outer rim crumble or slump in forming the center feature

The leading theory is volcanic in origin but NASA is still debating their formation.

The latest theory is that the impact area contained layers of different density causing the feature seen.

forum.moonzoo.org...
www.fas.harvard.edu...
edit on 27-10-2011 by Nicolas Flamel because: added Harvards 2007 paper on impact cratering in layered surfaces

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join