It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(Video) Quantum Levitation: I Want This On My Car, NOW.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+34 more 
posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I'm not sure what uses this could have, but man is it ever cool. It's called Quantum Levitation and Locking, and I'm having trouble finding a good explanation on how it works. All I know is, this could be the future of transportation.

If there are any physics buffs out there, please let me know the general principles behind this technology!

Just found this video of a group of young guys making their own track - seems similar, I'm not entirely sure if it's the same premise, but it explains a little bit of their process.

We developed this magnetically-levitated model train for an entrepreneurship course. Two yttrium barium copper oxide superconductors in the train repel the train away from a track made of rare earth magnets. The train contains a reservoir of liquid nitrogen to keep the superconductors cold. We made the plastic train body with a rapid prototyping machine and outfitted it with a rechargeable battery and a remote-controlled propeller.

The superconductors levitate because of the Meissner effect. Essentially, the superconductors create their own magnetic fields in an attempt to exactly cancel the field produced by the permanent magnets in the track. The result is that the superconductors behave as if they have magnets inside them, and these magnets are pushed away from the track magnets. This only works if the superconductors are cold, so the superconductors eventually heat up and fall down if they're not kept under liquid nitrogen.

Enjoy.
edit on 17-10-2011 by pforkp because: added vid

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by pforkp

That's cool! - Literally

Not sure what practical applications it can be used for, but it's a step along from the original superconducting levitation we've seen. It appears too easy to manipulate it's position for it to be used to carry any load, but still I have to keep my eye on this!!

Good thread!!

edit on 17/10/2011 by Ha`la`tha because: Come on Halatha, drink that coffee, wake thos fingers up!

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
forget the car, i want this adapted to my bedroom mattress....Could you imagine doing the number in an inverted position

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
It would make an interesting coaster for my beer.

2nd.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
That is pretty sweet. I have seen similar experiments, though I haven't seen the superconductor manipulated as such. The problem with that would be maintaining the temperature of the SC, or else it falls to the ground like a lead turd. Not sure how practical this would be for long-range propulsion, though.
edit on 10/17/2011 by OblivionGate because: por speling

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   
It started with Flux Pinning, but this is a little different.
edit on 10/17/2011 by MrGrimm because: Wrong wording

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Looks like a floating ice cream sandwich. I'll take two.
PAYCE

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by pforkp

OK, that was super cool. Pun intended.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by pforkp

That IS pretty cool, wow.
2nd

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   
cool stuff.

here's a better video that explains most of how it works..

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Great find! By the looks of this, we're one step closer to having our very own "Back To The Future II" Hover Boards! (even if we have to wear liquid nitrogen proof boots)

Also... if you go to the website tagged at the end of the first video in the OP (www.astc.org) you can see all sorts of cool experiments... i recommend Steve Spangler, Steve Spangler Science, Denver, Colorado, who has fun with a night club smoke machine.

S&F

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   
That was not just enlightening but absolutely fascinating.
Thank you for posting.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   
quantum levitation hammock...

quantum levitation for your cats!

quantum levitation olympics!

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   
To levitate a thing like this, you have several requirements:

1) the object must be made of a superconducting material,
2) it must be cooled to its superconducting critical point,
3) it must be placed over a magnet

1 & 2 can be most easily satisfied if you use a high-temperature superconductor (en.wikipedia.org...) and cool it with liquid nitrogen. Still, this is by no means easy, and without constantly reapplying liquid nitrogen to keep the temperature low, the effect will quickly disappear. Placing the levitating object near a heat source (such as a human, for example) will also heat it more rapidly.

3 is also pretty tricky if you're talking about anything on a human-sized scale. It means either dumping massive current into an electromagnet, or finding or manufacturing massive permanent magnets, neither is very cheap or easy.

Still, it's a cool effect and demonstrates principles at the cutting edge of condensed matter physics.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Basically the trick to your flying saucer is making that track the bottom of your craft and make a haul or cockpit for humans to withstand the travel.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Wow. Just, wow.
Too cool.

Originally posted by Ha`la`tha
reply to post by pforkp

Not sure what practical applications it can be used for,

Well, for starters, a low power, high efficiency mag-lev train system.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by dethduck
Wow. Just, wow.
Too cool.

Originally posted by Ha`la`tha
reply to post by pforkp

Not sure what practical applications it can be used for,

Well, for starters, a low power, high efficiency mag-lev train system.

Please read my post. This technology is completely unfeasible for levitating anything as massive as a train and would be worlds less efficient than current maglev technolgoy.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 03:19 AM
link   
Maybe I picked the wrong career, that scientist looks like he's having more fun than me

Originally posted by pforkp
I Want This On My Car, NOW
If you think gasoline is getting expensive, just wait until you try to start buying an endless supply of liquid nitrogen, and installing magnets under the roads you want to drive on.

Originally posted by boncho
You don't have to type 2nd. Jost dont make the first line "I agree" or something equally trite and a one liner is ok.

After seeing how easy it was to tilt, I'm not sure it would be such a great beer coaster, you might spill your beer!

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 04:02 AM
link   
What they need to do to make this viable are the following things.

First, they need to make thier super conductors operate at room temperature eliminating the need for that liquid nitrogen. What we need is a zero effort mechanism that doesnt contain a hazardous liquid or substance. If they cannot do that , they should go home, because all they will have created is another way for us to destroy ourselves.

Second, they need to make the thing recognize the magnetic field of the earth as its track, not some expensive metal construction which would require the digging up of every road in the world to install. Also , they need to go big. Someone give these guys a decent grant for Christs sake!

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 05:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by boncho

2nd.

It would indeed!

Great post! thanks!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join