It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

250 participate in peaceful Occupy Reno march

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by GmoS719
reply to post by Annee

I don't know neither do I care.
I just don't think it's right to dismiss what a group is doing.
JUST because of their appearance.

What do you think of Hollywood?

Have you ever judged all of Hollywood because of a celebrities actions or their politics?

Thank you Hollywood for bringing me home entertainment.
This is besides the point.
We are not talking about Hollywood.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

reply to post by Annee

I don't know neither do I care.
I just don't think it's right to dismiss what a group is doing.
JUST because of their appearance.

What do you think of Hollywood?

Have you ever judged all of Hollywood because of a celebrities actions or their politics?

Thank you Hollywood for bringing me home entertainment.
This is besides the point.
We are not talking about Hollywood.

Oh - but we are. We are talking about judging people by how they look (actions/politics)

Since I live near Hollywood - - I'm very aware how people "blanket judge" Hollywood. But that seems to be acceptable - - while judging another group is not.

Nice evasion.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Occupy Reno is a joke. You guys can lambaste the OP all you want but he is right. Unlike the OP I did stop and talk with them. Occupy Reno is made up of college students with nothing better to do than to bash the "system" and spew hatred of anything not like them.

They all hate capitalism, and all of them had parents who paid for their education with money they earned in a capitalist system.

The rest are fringe commies that hang out at Java Jungle and spew the ills of corporate America as they eat Subway from down the street type on their apple computers about how much America sucks as they sip the coffee from a small business that takes advantage of the fruits of capitalism.

Also most of them are adults not much younger than me(and many my age) who are on EBT cards when they could be working at many of the open positions to be found in the city.

It really is a sad sight to see.
edit on 15-10-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

You went from the OP to Hollywood.
Who is evading again?
There is no bases for the OP's opinion so you switch the subject to Hollywood.
Nice Evasion.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
Occupy Reno is a joke. You guys can lambaste the OP all you want but he is right. Unlike the OP I did stop and talk with them. Occupy Reno is made up of college students with nothing better to do than to bash the "system" and spew hatred of anything not like them.

They all hate capitalism, and all of them had parents who paid for their education with money they earned in a capitalist system.

The rest are fringe commies that hang out at Java Jungle and spew they ills of corporate America as they eat Subway from down the street type on their apple computers about how much America sucks as they sip the coffee from a small business that takes advantage of the fruits of capitalism.

You on the other hand, I respect.
You actually stopped to ask what they were about.
The OP on the other hand judged for no reason.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by GmoS719

I KNOW THEM.

I didn't just stop and talk to them. I hang out where they do. I know who they are, what they believe and for what reasons. I know many of their families, I know what they like to do for fun and trust me when I say this, it ain't wholesome.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Nice to see kids and seniors hanging out together for a little protest
It was small, but Reno is pretty small.
I noticed some of the Signs were of the Tea-Partyish persuasion.
This is not a Freebie money grab by any means.

The CEO of the parent company of the website in your OP (Gannett, GCI)..Well, he just retired with a 37.1 million dollar payout.
When he started his tenure as CEO the stock was around 80 bucks per share. Friday it closed around 10 dollars.
All that in 6 years. He also fired 50 percent of the workforce in that time He also did away with Severance pay for those laid off. imagine that 25 years and no severance?
He also shipped many jobs overseas. (India)
He also cancelled the Pension program...Well, except for Company officers.
This crap is what some of the OWS folks a protesting.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by spacedoubt

I can totally understand why people would be pissed about that. And I would refer them for a criminal probe as company CEOs who do what you described are typically stealing from the company.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

Howdy neighbor.
I was not there, but I know some of the folks who were. I really was a varied group.
And to be honest, I was pleased by the tone of that biggest little protest in the world.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by spacedoubt

They are certainly a peaceful bunch I will say that.

Misguided? Sure.

But certainly not violent.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   

reply to post by Annee

You went from the OP to Hollywood.
Who is evading again?
There is no bases for the OP's opinion so you switch the subject to Hollywood.
Nice Evasion.

Your point was it is wrong to judge people by their looks.

That was your point in your post.

I asked you if you judged Hollywood. And you evaded giving a straight answer - - obviously you think it only applies to certain situations.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 01:20 AM
link   
First of all, I am not a resident of Reno, much less Nevada. However, I am disgusted with the OP's assumptions. He said he drove by and had the assumption based on looks. Well, I find that to be pretty interesting because the pics I'm seeing of this group don't fit that description.

Now, based on these videos and pictures... please OP, do me the favor of pointing out those you described in your assumption.

Regardless of if their message is confused some. Which it may or may not be. Regardless of how big/small your town is.

Reno, Nevada

Reno is the county seat of Washoe County, Nevada, United States. The city has a population of about 220,500.

I'm curious why you felt the need to assume anything about these people. After watching the videos myself, I am personally proud of them. They seemed to have some great communication and their goals seem legit. According to their facebook page, they were happy with their results. Other cities have had smaller results and been called successful. They apparently raised over $1000 today and are planning to get permits for the upcoming occupation. I'd say Reno is well on its way to being occupied.

But all that is neither here nor there. I'm still curious why you felt the need to assume.

Now dont get me wrong, I would totally march with these people, if 75% of them were not stuck up college kids, crackpots, and seniors that want a discount on everything.

Also, many marches held today involved parents bringing their children. People want to educate their children about the need to stand up for the Constitution and against corporate greed. It's an important lesson and no different than teaching your kids right from wrong.

edit on 16-10-2011 by EagleTalonZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   

reply to post by spw184

Can't you just say,
"I like talking about a revolution and all, I'm just too lazy to do anything."
Instead of discrediting their movement.

im too lazy to do anything? Ive been setting up Conspiri-Caches in the reno area and Im going to start uploading them online. Conspiri-Cache is a concept I came up with to get more people to "Wake up" Per-say. it is an ammo box that Is filled with printed versions of some conspiritorial evidence ( 9/11 even though I dont buy it, builderburg, Illuminati, NWO, Popcult, Ufo phenomona, ect) And a flash drive that contains videos and photos of the paper content, along with a note that urges the finder to create a new cache, somewhere farther away.

I am also involved in the cellphone drop program. Same Idea, you 100% charge a cell phone, upload it with pics, vids, files, ect, and on the background put a note that tells them to wake up, and urges them to leave this phone in some other place. Although I have not set any up in reno, I have aided some set up in atlanta.

I also have done more chairty work in two decades than you have prolly done in your life.
So yeah, Does that count as not doing anything?
edit on 16-10-2011 by spw184 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn

The rest are fringe commies that hang out at Java Jungle and spew the ills of corporate America as they eat Subway from down the street type on their apple computers about how much America sucks as they sip the coffee from a small business that takes advantage of the fruits of capitalism.

Also most of them are adults not much younger than me(and many my age) who are on EBT cards when they could be working at many of the open positions to be found in the city.

Did you go to the football game?

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by EagleTalonZ

I did not see the whole protest, I only saw about 20-25 people. It must have been a group walking down TO the main protest, because there where many many more. IDK if the other dude from reno asked the same group as me, but they where pretty much ALL the groups I stated.

Oh, and from the pics you showed, alot of people looked morbidly obese and college-like. (two seperate groups, Not both)
edit on 16-10-2011 by spw184 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
good thing is that they'll have the sheriffs from reno 911 making sure people dont get out of control...we can always count on LT dangle to keep us safe

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by k1k1to
good thing is that they'll have the sheriffs from reno 911 making sure people dont get out of control...we can always count on LT dangle to keep us safe

We in reno have a saying: F*** reno 911. And tourists who think thats real too.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by k1k1to

I recommend that if you are ever here you don't make that joke to our officers.

Not that they'll do anything to you...But they may show up extra slow.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by spw184

Nah, I was on my way to the coffeeshop. Got off the bus early and decided to stop and talk to them.
edit on 16-10-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by EagleTalonZ

Those are some very selective pictures.

Pictures don't tell you what the people there were saying.

Very few people there were advocating specific reforms, the ones that were suggesting specific reforms were mostly democrats who actually sat down and thought of what they were going to say.

The rest of them were "Wall St. is the source of my problems" people and college kids who just "want to bring the system down".

While i don't agree with the approach of the OP my experience with them was less than enlightening.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join