It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquake Rocks San Francisco Bay Area at 11:40 PM Pacific Time

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by EvanB

Depends....on which 'book' you read. Also whether you believe he did survive after his crusifiction

en.wikipedia.org...

I only posted out of curiosity, not hard facts, and nobody except Jesus himself could confirm when he 'died'.
Anyway, we digress from the subject in hand.
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by westcoast

note the latitude...same as the colorado and virginia quakes:

Magnitude 3.6
Date-Time Wednesday, August 24, 2011 at 06:36:54 UTC
Tuesday, August 23, 2011 at 11:36:54 PM at epicenter

Location 37.748°N, 122.137°W
Depth 9.1 km (5.7 miles)
Region SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA, CALIFORNIA
Distances 4 km (3 miles) NNE (19°) from San Leandro, CA
7 km (4 miles) NW (314°) from Castro Valley, CA
8 km (5 miles) N (358°) from San Lorenzo, CA
10 km (6 miles) ESE (123°) from Oakland, CA

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 0.2 km (0.1 miles); depth +/- 0.5 km (0.3 miles)
Parameters Nph= 86, Dmin=5 km, Rmss=0.14 sec, Gp= 32°,
M-type=regional moment magnitude (Mw), Version=3
Source California Integrated Seismic Net:
USGS Caltech CGS UCB UCSD UNR

Event ID nc71625060

Isnt also the same latitude as Fukushima and Italy?

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
It's unlikely these earthquakes are an indication of a bigger earthquake to come:

Foreshocks

Foreshocks are medium-sized earthquakes that precede major quakes.

An increase in foreshock activity (combined with purported indications like ground water levels and strange animal behavior) enabled the successful evacuation of a million people one day before the February 4, 1975 M7.3 Haicheng earthquake by the China State Seismological Bureau.

The Xiuyan M5.3 earthquake (29 November 1999) is another example where a successful prediction was issued, based on a correct interpretation of an earthquake swarm as foreshocks.

While 50% of major earthquakes are preceded by foreshocks, only about 5-10% of small earthquakes turn out to be foreshocks, leading to false warnings

Source

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by litterbaux
What are the coordinates of the Denver World Airport?

I don't know the exact coordinates, but I do know that it is hours north of where the earthquake hit driving at freeway speed. It's been awhile since I made that exact drive, but has got to be at least 4 hours duration.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
I live in a downtown San Francisco high rise. My dog and I slept through the quake and ensuing aftershock like proverbial babies. My boyfriend in the next room said that his armchair went up and down like he was riding a jackhammer.

He woke me up to tell me not to worry, which elicited the appropriate response (can't post here due to T&Cs).

edit on 8/24.2011 by graceunderpressure because: typo

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
A 3.6 qualifies as enough to "rock" something now? (a baby to sleep maybe?)

It's funny because yesterday all my west coast friends were making fun of me for all us east-coasters getting our panties in a bunch over a 5.9 - I should show them this thread.

C'mon ATS, your doom-boner is showing again, hide your shame.

I heard there were some extremely minor B-class Solar flares yesterday too - must be a correlation!!!

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
A 3.6 is a non-event in the west .. saying it "Rocked" the SF Bay area is a bit of an exaggeration I would think.. it might "rock" the baby back to sleep, but that's about it.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by mc_squared

HA .. we both had a similar idea there.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Sure is a big uproar over a small 5.8,I'm thinking here in So California would hardly wake an old veteran,no big deal try a 7 then comment

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lionhearte

Originally posted by wildapache
reply to post by thedeadwalkk

I don't wanna feel like a fear monger but this is getting pretty crazy!Why do I have the feeling that the Big One is yet to come?

Because the big one IS coming, and over due. We all get that feeling.

Though, for all of you wishing for it to get over with already, I'd beg you not to have such wishful thinking. I live 10 minutes from the fault in Southern California. There are things I wanna do, such as have a relatively normal life, have kids, get married, etc.

I can't do those things when a 9.0+ hits and I'm forced to survive, if I don't die in the quake itself.

It doesn't help when the whole world wishes for my state to fall into the ocean.

It is not the whole world wants cali to be destroyed, After readngn some responses to the east coast EQ, it seems the whole world wants America to be destroyed...its sickening. Im from cali and I do understand the intense emotions you are feeling, you know the big one is out there you just dont know when. Calif`s Big One is why I left there some 20 years ago. I live in texas no faults anywhere. Im kinda near to eagle pass but more west. (obviously I wont pinpoint my location). Im over 400 miles from the ocean, no tornado threats, I feel as for natural disasters im in a real safe place. I havemy mother a sister and brother in cali, victorville area, I beg them weekly please leave, mom says she to old to move and change her life, sister and brother are sheeples...peace

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
there will be earthquakes, huge ones, massive ones we cant imagine, and there will be hurricanes more violent than we could ever predict, there will be terrorist attacks, more frightening than ever thought possible, there will be regime change in america more hopeful than the first one, there will be wars, huge wars, with more death than we can fathom, there will be diseases, diseases more mysterious than we ever thought possible, and we as a race will survive. its like the minute we got our hands on the internet, these things are all of the sudden not part of being a human being on planet earth. if you believe were here totally at random, or that were here by gods grace, or that were here because our souls signed up, one thing that remains solid is that LIFE ON EARTH SUCKS, YOUR GOING TO DIE, EVERYTHING YOU LOVE WILL BE DESTROYED. welcome to earth!!!!!!!! i hope if theres an afterlife we can all look back and compare how long it took each of us to realise this.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Yet its odd when it happens again in a short period of time

Magnitude
Date-Time
Wednesday, August 24, 2011 at 06:36:54 UTC
Tuesday, August 23, 2011 at 11:36:54 PM at epicenter
Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones
Depth
9.1 km (5.7 miles)
Region
SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA, CALIFORNIA
Distances
4 km (3 miles) NNE (19°) from San Leandro, CA
7 km (4 miles) NW (314°) from Castro Valley, CA
8 km (5 miles) N (358°) from San Lorenzo, CA
10 km (6 miles) ESE (123°) from Oakland, CA
Location Uncertainty
horizontal +/- 0.2 km (0.1 miles); depth +/- 0.5 km (0.3 miles)
Parameters
Nph= 86, Dmin=5 km, Rmss=0.14 sec, Gp= 32°,
M-type=regional moment magnitude (Mw), Version=5
Source
California Integrated Seismic Net:
Event ID
nc71625060

And a few minutes ago

Magnitude 3.5
Date-Time

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 at 16:57:44 UTC
Wednesday, August 24, 2011 at 09:57:44 AM at epicenter
Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 37.751°N, 122.138°W
Depth 9.2 km (5.7 miles)
Region SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA, CALIFORNIA
Distances

5 km (3 miles) NNE (17°) from San Leandro, CA
7 km (5 miles) NW (315°) from Castro Valley, CA
8 km (5 miles) N (357°) from San Lorenzo, CA
9 km (6 miles) ESE (122°) from Oakland, CA

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 0.1 km (0.1 miles); depth +/- 0.4 km (0.2 miles)
Parameters Nph= 86, Dmin=5 km, Rmss=0.1 sec, Gp= 32°,
M-type=regional moment magnitude (Mw), Version=4
Source

California Integrated Seismic Net:

Event ID nc71625585
edit on 4/5/2011 by dreamfox1 because: info

edit on 4/5/2011 by dreamfox1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
I think some people are missing the point on this. The point of this thread was never the size of the earthquake, but that it was on the same 37 degrees as the 2 yesterday. Just seems a bit strange, I know nothing really about this sort of stuff, have all these quakes occured on the same fault line or something?

P.S I dont want America to be destroyed, I plan on saving enough money to spend a year holiday in america driving from one side to the other, would be alot harder if there was a big hole in the middle of it

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Idonthaveabeard
I think some people are missing the point on this. The point of this thread was never the size of the earthquake, but that it was on the same 37 degrees as the 2 yesterday. Just seems a bit strange, I know nothing really about this sort of stuff, have all these quakes occured on the same fault line or something?

P.S I dont want America to be destroyed, I plan on saving enough money to spend a year holiday in america driving from one side to the other, would be alot harder if there was a big hole in the middle of it

Americas landscape are so diverse in merely going from one state to the next. I'm born American older, have been to 41 states, everytime I get out to sight-seeing I'm always awe struck at the beauty here. We have beautiful mountains, deserts oceans flatlands, farmlands. It goes on and on. Driving across this nation would be fun, but if I may give a suggestion, if you come here to experience our land, Am Trac train has great route with reasonable fees, restaurant, cafe wine, beer liquor, coach or cabin many choices. You will have a really good time. Hope you get the experience whichever mode of transportation
peace

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
6.8 Just hit Northern Peru. Interested to see if it hit on the 37th degree
edit on 24-8-2011 by damingus because: no reason

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
And its been 2 hours since the Peru quake hit. Why hasnt it been posted on usgs site yet?

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
There was a second one in San Leandro today, as well as a 4.2 in Mammoth Lakes. Last night all of the dogs in my neighborhood were being crazy, and I felt horrible. I thought we would have a bigger EQ. Disappointed.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by damingus

I have an EQ app on my phone that says usgs posted it 15 min after. :/ It is up now earthquake.usgs.gov...
edit on 24-8-2011 by smileypants because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Having watched my entire house sway side to side yesterday, for the first time in my ENTIRE LIFE, then being constantly told by Californians, "oh it was nothing" - Why should I be excited because they had a 3.6 today?

"California has earthquakes all the time", they were so quick to point out to those of us who were excited over our first earthquake. Freakin buzz killers...

So today, right back at you people, "it was nothing, you have earthquakes all the time - come talk to me when you have your first real philly cheesesteak". Thats something I can get excited for you about.

There are an average of 30 earthquakes per day, across the globe.
Some are bound to be at the same latitude or longitude.
And the significant 7.0 in Peru, today, was nowhere near these coordinates.

So if 10% of them do have some (not quite, but almost) matching coordinates, I have to assume its for no other reason than there just happens to be a fault line there.

/logic

OR ITS HAARP!!!
I Survived The Virginia Earthquake!!!!!
My empty water bottle was not so lucky.....
and it took hours to calm down my cat - he scared me more than the 20 seconds of swaying
he knows.....

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Coordinates of the 7.0 Peru earthquake.
8° 22' 57" S / 74° 32' 17" W

If you add them together and divide by six you get 35!

Did I do good?!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join