It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5.8 Earthquake felt in central PA FROM VIRGINIA!!!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Friend in airport terminal in Charlotte just twittered that the airport is on lockdown
Windows broke
Ceiling falling (probably tiles)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Clarity: Earthquake hit VA at 1:51PM EST - it reached my house in PA approximately 8 minutes later

It woke me up out of a dead sleep that it took me 3 days to finally get to.... clearly I am not allowed to sleep this week .... my entire house swayed....

it sufficiently scared the life out of me

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
3.7 miles deep
felt all over the east coast
many government buildings evacuated

WASHINGTON (AP) — A 5.8 magnitude earthquake centered northwest of Richmond, Va., shook much of Washington, D.C., and was felt as far north as Rhode Island and New York City.

The U.S. Geological Survey said the earthquake was 3.7 miles deep. Shaking was felt at the White House and all over the East Coast, as far south as Chapel Hill, N.C. Parts of the Pentagon, White House and Capitol were evacuated. The quake was in Mineral, Va., in Louisa County.

Buildings in New York City shook briefly. Government buildings in the city, including City Hall, were evacuated. The 26-story federal courthouse in lower Manhattan began swaying and hundreds of people were seen leaving the building. Court officers weren’t letting people back in.

www.suntimes.c... om/news/nation/7234601-418/58-earthquake-shakes-east-coast-causes-evacuations-at-pentagon-capitol.html

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I live and work in Richmond, VA. Good god, that is only the 2nd earthquake I have experienced in my short time on this Earth. First REAL one, as the other was a few minor tremors. I've seen plenty of combat and been in plenty of sticky situations, but I came flying out of my second-story dwelling like a bat out of hell, dog about 2 steps behind me. I thought that furry little bastard was supposed to feel these things before they happen, he looked just as dumbfounded as me.

VERY good way to get the adrenaline pumping, as we're not used to heavy tectonic activity around here. Never heard the rumble or felt the violent shaking like that in my life. Very cool and humbling experience.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by paratus

I live in North Carolina, and it actually made my monitor shake and the floors in my apartment vibrate. I thought it was my neighbors at first and then it kept on for about 20 seconds or so. I was like...."holy crap, was that an earthquake?!" Looks like it was O.O

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I felt it in Northern New Jersey. I was parked having a bite to eat and I thought someone was shaking my car. A good amount of the cell phone service is out right now.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Its odd that this story isn't being allowed in the Alt Breaking News forums,

There is quite some potential for Fortean weirdness involving the quake.

Its odd that in Colorado and Virginia in the same day, they experience the largest quakes in a long long time.

Vacctrain test failure? Old Ones awakening?

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
As a side note, cell phone service is a no go anywhere around the City of Richmond. Talking to a couple buddies on the net and 3 different major carriers are all disconnecting, refusing to connect or just plain dead. Bring on the aftershocks.
edit on 23-8-2011 by ateuprto because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Cell service in Central PA is blown out too.
And some land line service?

I guess only call in emergency, leaving lines open for those in true need

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
i am crying foul all of the government is on vacation and bam an earthquake hits.

that timing sucks.

i smell conspiracy!

as far west as ohio and toronto canada!

5.9 doesnt sound big but it is
edit on 23-8-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by paratus

Live TV coverage from Fox DC.
Live Fox DC TV

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Thats weird. I don't remember cell phones being knocked out in other quakes like this.

By the way, CNN is reporting that the President is being briefed, but we don't know the contents of the briefing yet.

Maybe something weird is going on. The Colonel's parting gift?

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

seriously
do we blame HAARP? Elenin? or solar flares for this one?

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Forevever
reply to post by neo96

seriously

All 3...oh, and Obama and the damned cabal of evildoers utilizing this fantasy technology.

As a side note, I wouldn't freak out too much people, it seems there is VERY little structural damage and there have been no reports of even slight injuries. Out of the ordinary? Sure. End of the world? Not even close.

Crazy afternoon in Richmond none-the-less. People are still pounding drinks at the bars near my place in the city, traffic is fine. Some phone towers probably got shook up a bit.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Forevever

Don't forget Neo-Soviet Scalar weapons.

While we are at it, we should add the aliens, NASA mentioned, who don't like us pumping greenhouse gases into the amosphere.

My personal vote goes to the Cthonian great old one, Shudde Me'll.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   

i blame the pentagons nuclear reactor exploding why else would they evacuate

the pentagon is supposed to be one of the most well built safest buildings ever constructed.

i smell Conspiracy with a capital C

ok that one might not fly but you gotta admit the timing congress and the potus are elsewhere anywhere but washington.

the game is a foot waston

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   

reply to post by neo96

seriously

Well I must say that I have never been an Elenin Doom proponent. With that said, Can someone please verify if I am accurately concluding that the Earth, Elenin and Uranus are in alignment today?

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ateuprto

I'm not freaking out, but for something that has NEVER happened in my lifetime - I'm definitely excited (if thats the right word)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   

key word there friend "happened in your lifetime" doesnt mean its never happened.

we have only been here for a blink of an eye and the fact is most tectonic plates have never in their billions of years ever stopped moving.

earthquakes as we all know happen when that movement exerts enough pressure for them to finally slip thus creating earthquakes.

i am not going to much with the external forces school of thought but earthquakes will always happen.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   

reply to post by ateuprto

I'm not freaking out, but for something that has NEVER happened in my lifetime - I'm definitely excited (if thats the right word)

Absolutely a good word, as I'm fairly excited myself. Wasn't necessarily telling YOU to calm down, just putting it out there for those thinking this is a sign of the end of the world. Quakes DO happen in this region, just very rarely large quakes. Back in '04 or '03 I was deployed in SW Virginia doing some field training and we had a nice noticeable EQ. Not quite as large or as violent as this one.

Old mother is just scratching an itch and adjusting some chafing. I would put my money on the 5.9 being the "main" quake, with the possibility, if not probability of some minor aftershocks for the next few hours.

On an unrelated note, I'm trying to have a serious conversation with my dog about his responsibilities as an EQ detector, and how his laziness could have killed us both. Unless licking his own wiener is his way of acknowledging the seriousness of the situation I'm not sure he's too concerned. Hah, damn mut was never that observant to begin with.

Looks like it's natural disaster week here in the mid-Atlantic. Looks like Irene is bound to make landfall right around the Virginia coast at this point too. We must have pissed off the creator recently around the Commonwealth.
edit on 23-8-2011 by ateuprto because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join