It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Terrible Development! Ridiculous Compromise yet again!

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by memarf1

Certainly. It would be quite effective if the millions on unemployment decided to camp out in front of the Capitol!

I think the bad economy limits the ability of people to actively protest. Nobody can afford to lose their job, so they can't be too vocal, they can't take any time off work, and they can't risk offending any coworkers or their boss. It is going to take the unemployed people to push the envelope, but of course they are surviving on government checks as well!

A recent study showed 1 in 6 people are dependent on some sort of government benefit! The other 5 of 6 are desperatelly clinging to under-paying jobs and trying to comply with all of the overbearing licensing and registering authorities to stay legal to work and live!

We are thoroughly trapped, and it is getting worse.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by memarf1

...A recent study showed 1 in 6 people are dependent on some sort of government benefit! The other 5 of 6 are desperatelly clinging to under-paying jobs and trying to comply with all of the overbearing licensing and registering authorities to stay legal to work and live!

We are thoroughly trapped, and it is getting worse.

Good analysis. When you count those who are in debt for government backed student loans, FHA and VA loans just about everyone is beholding to BigGov. The debtor is a slave to the lender

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Thank you for that. Thats always on my mind, is the fate of our children and grandchildren. Our parents and grandparents screwd us bigtime and its only going to get worse

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Apparently the protestors in the House's visitors gallery were real!

Capitol Police arrest 22 Protestors

Also, apparently on C-Span right now the speakers are all taking more than their allotted time, and most are speaking out against this plan! Maybe it won't pass afterall.

Other thread discussing what is going on in the House at the moment, and on C-span.
edit on 1-8-2011 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Any reponse by the current "loser'" U.S. Federal government, by proposing a flat tax to cure the debt ceiling; Should be rejected by the majority of U.S. citizenry with an equal rabid repsonse- By staging mass protests on the streets of Wash. D.C.

"Make no mistake about it, what we're witnessing here is a catastrophe on multiple levels."

"In the long run, however, Democrats won't be the only losers. What Republicans have just gotten away with calls our whole system of government into question. After all, how can demoracy work if whichever party is most prepared to be ruthless, to threaten the nation's economic security, gets to dictate policy? And the answer is, maybe it can't."

Couple of quotes from: Paul Krugman- The President Surrenders- New York Times OP-ED Monday, Augest 1,2011

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Erno86

The only solution to this problem is a ruthless one. I agree that the Republicans are not without blame, but it isn't their stubbornness that should be criticized, it is their lack of stubbornness and eagerness to compromise yet again.

The economy needs to be held hostage until a viable solution is reached, or the natural consequences are upon us. Either way, we have to fix it in the here and now, we can't compromise and delay to eternity.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Well let me tell you, people are PISSED, even news anchors. I'm watching The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer right now and they checked in with this older guy (I forget his name). Anyway, he's one of the more "classic" anchors in that he isn't very opinionated and more into presenting the news. He just went off on this bill before a commercial break.

"It's garbage! They keep selling the same sack of fertilizer and people keep buying it because, I guess, they're dumb enough to keep believing it!"

Probably the best and most honest thing I've heard from a news anchor...
edit on 1-8-2011 by mossme89 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Cant help but notice this bill extends the debt ceiling to 2012.........insert dramatic, world ending music here.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
We might not be out of the woods yet. This scenario would apply in a default, but could also occur with a downgrade (which still might be likely).

If America defaults on those payments, or even misses them by just one day, the domino effect would be brutal…

•Domino #1: The country would lose its AAA credit rating and those bonds, bills and notes would no longer enjoy their status as the safest investments on the planet.
•Domino #2: In turn, a lower credit rating would mean that the United States would pay higher interest on its bonds in order to attract investors. Result?
•Domino #3: A tidal wave of selling through fixed income markets, driving interest rates higher still.
•Domino #4: Social Security would be hit hard, as its funds are invested in Treasuries. Suddenly, Social Security would have far less resources than just a day or two earlier.
•Domino #5: If money is pouring out of so-called “safe” investments, you can bet that in that kind of environment, the demand for riskier investments would be next to nil. Stocks and financial markets around the globe would plummet.

source

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
This bill is so much BS, I have no words. I am so upset right now. Tack on one more instance where Washington did whatever it wanted to the American people while completely ignoring what it is they wanted.

More and more and more do I firmly believe that the mantra on the Hill is "the people are too stupid to govern themselves" and so everything we say goes in one ear and out the other.

This bill does nothing to help the middle class. It does nothing to fix our deficit. So why is this supposed to be such a great deal?

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by nunya13

We still have to wait for the Senate, hope they shot it down!

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
So the bill passed the House easily just now! WIth majority Republican Support.

Democrats were split evenly between Yay and Nay, but Republicans overwhelmingly voted for the bill.

It seems even the Tea Party Caucus was under-represented, because there weren't enough Nays to have accounted for all of the Tea Partiers

I am sick right now. My only hope is that the weak support by the Dems can stop it in the Senate.

ETA:

I am a registered Republican, and I can guarantee that no one that voted Yes on this bill will ever get another vote of mine. AND, I am also an active Tea Partier, and any of the turncoats that got into office with Tea Party support and voted yes on this bill will are going to have a hell of a time rousing any support or even campaign workers in 2012!!

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
This whole deal is a freaking joke.

Let's raise the debt limit by 2.1 trillion and cut the budget by 2.4 trillion over 10 freaking years. Looking at how fast and how much the debt ceiling has been raised over the last decade, can anyone guess what the debt ceiling will be in 10 years time, if America still exists?

Come on people, the net result is going to be a HUGE positive swing in favor of having more debt. And that debt won't come without a price, mainly in the form of HUGE taxes that will affect everyone. As I said before, Washington isn't serious about budget cuts, they aren't serious about reform. It's the status quo only the names on the doors change.

As long as these nincompoops can parade before the cameras and mics and spew forth their illustrious compromises in exchange for increasing poll numbers and a shot of being re-elected, then there is no hope. It's all a sham.

I keep having these visions of the end of the movie 'V for Vendetta' and I get surprisingly happy.

Like Patton said, "What this country needs is a good war." Guess all the ones we've had have been bad ones.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

As I'm a very recent member of ATS, I am also well aware of the situation you guys have with you're Government as well as the great deal of debt you Americans have overcome. While I feel deeply for you as well as many of my other Canadian friends and family I'm yet left wondering why no action is being taken? In my recent years I've come across many Americans who know little to next to nothing about you're own respective Government or politicians, which is mind boggling to me because my friends and I are more the well aware of the situation you have been given. When we recently heard the news that Obama, republicans and Democrats had come to a conclusion I thought it would reduce or eliminate any possible chance of you're Country being in further debt. But instead, the debt will continue to rise and most likely more individuals like you will lose you're homes. So If I may ask, at what point to you revolt? Pull an Egypt on you're own Government? At what point do you take a stand? I'm not asking you to go guns and all, but to question, when do you fight back? When nothings left to take?

Yes Ron Paul sounds like a good candidate, but who's to say that he doesn't pull the whole Obama "Hope" thing again. I believe thoroughly that the Reserve needs to be eliminated, and that it takes more than one to make a difference sometimes, especially in the circumstances that has been handed down to the American people, you need to work together and not focus on one because that's the only way you guys can stand back on you're feet.

That was the dumbest deal, and will only prolong and provoke the debt in the American Society. I do hope one day soon the citizens of your country will stand up and take action because from my view bystanders go by unnoticed.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Freenrgy2

What are you talking about. Taxes are the lowest they have been in half a century.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Rand Paul needs to step to the plate now.

DO NOT LET THIS PASS.

edit on 1-8-2011 by MidnightTide because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
So the bill passed the House easily just now! WIth majority Republican Support.

Democrats were split evenly between Yay and Nay, but Republicans overwhelmingly voted for the bill.

It seems even the Tea Party Caucus was under-represented, because there weren't enough Nays to have accounted for all of the Tea Partiers

I am sick right now. My only hope is that the weak support by the Dems can stop it in the Senate.

ETA:

I am a registered Republican, and I can guarantee that no one that voted Yes on this bill will ever get another vote of mine. AND, I am also an active Tea Partier, and any of the turncoats that got into office with Tea Party support and voted yes on this bill will are going to have a hell of a time rousing any support or even campaign workers in 2012!!

Gabriel Giffords, brought back from the dead, shows up surprisingly and votes "yes". Wonder if that was a little wild card hand the Democrats played to swing more Democrat votes for "yes" since she voted "yes"

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by UndesirableN1

Great Question.

The ugly answer is that our standard of living is still very good. Even with all of this turmoil, the majority are still extremely comfortable, and they still have too much to sacrifice to make it worthwhile.

This is the boiling frog scenario. We have lost more than we realize, and our kids are growing up thinking this is normal, and they will never know how much they lost before they were ever born. It isn't just economics, it is the whole enchilada. Our liberties are evaporating, and the majority are thankful for it.

Check out this thread for my take on the whole situation: How Close Are We?

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Link: Debt Deal Doesn't Lift Threat of Credit Downgrade
Talk about a headline filled with irony.

Even though the bill has just passed the house, the threat of a credit score downgrade still lingers.

Our national debt is too big.

Talk about irony. Its going to happen anyway.

edit on 8/1/2011 by Section31 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
It amazes how easily the Republicans will let go of their voters.I will leave them blank and just vote on local races.
And the Media shallowly attempts to give the Tea Party Credit, or Republicans. the last few days. I'll vote agaisnt everyone in my district.See ya Pat Toomey.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join