It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Doomsday promoters should be prosecuted for mass end of time suicides

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
I really hate the term, 'slippery slope' but if there is truly a slope that is greased, it is where we begin to regulate what people can think and say.

Sure, certain religions have led people to suicide and such... but so did a UFO cult. What do we do? regulate how belief can be explained?

The government... all governments everywhere, would absolutely love to have popular support in regulating what people can say and do and even think. Currently, both Obama and former pres Clinton have endorsed some means of controlling what is said on the internet.

But, how do you enforce it? Would you see a whole new class of nonviolent criminal... 'thought' or 'speech' outlaws, created and then tossed into jail?

Thanks for considering my safety but, no thanks.

Individual responsibility is a two-way street. Maybe the doomsayers should show some restraint but, so should those who so happily bite on every hook. If we want to keep what little bit of freedom we have left, it won't be through remaining silent and not exercising that right as often as possible.

Nobody is going to agree with every concept, every theory, every subject. That's just not who we are. The trouble comes in when a few can dictate what the whole can say or do or, again, even think. Once we ride this slope to the bottom, there won't be any climbing back up again.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
In some ways I have to agree, especially where those who are doing this "end of the world" crap as a way to make money! Unfortunately there are those who having heard or read the bullcrap, might start having nightmares of the world ending in some sort of disaster, which in turn convinces them they have been given a gift of prophecy, leading them to open a website dealing with the subject. It's these folk and any possible subsequent followers who need proffesional help! The shysters who are out to make money from a prophecy they know to be crap, are the ones who should be prosecuted! It's any followers with emotional problems that I feel sorry for, as some just might think they have been left behind, and will kill themselves as a result.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Maybe people should take personal responsability for their own choices???

I see those who would kill themselves for believing this stuff as a form of natural selection...

Maybe the world would be lighter having a few less gullible fools breathing good oxygen!

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

While I know for sure the answer to this issue, sometimes, it doesn't stop to amazed me how people can follow leaders, prophets or else to the point of dying for the believes and ideas been inculcated on them.

Is no way in hell that I will kill myself for some ideology willingly, rathe,r if I die will be by force.

Because like many said I have my own mind and is a very analytical one, just because something is been propagandized it doesn't mean I have to believe it.

How it is that some people lose or stop the ability of taking information and then analyzed it to make sense of it

Could it be mental imbalances in the brain, perhaps a willing desire to trust the making of decision to outside forces?

It just amazes me.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Bkrmn

You just described very beautifully one of the main symptom of mass hysteria, even I dream of apocalyptic events, but in may case is always light at the end of the tunnel and I have some much hope on the human kind that I always end up my dream with renewal and life goes on.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
reply to post by beezzer

While I know for sure the answer to this issue, sometimes, it doesn't stop to amazed me how people can follow leaders, prophets or else to the point of dying for the believes and ideas been inculcated on them.

Is no way in hell that I will kill myself for some ideology willingly, rathe,r if I die will be by force.

Because like many said I have my own mind and is a very analytical one, just because something is been propagandized it doesn't mean I have to believe it.

How it is that some people lose or stop the ability of taking information and then analyzed it to make sense of it

Could it be mental imbalances in the brain, perhaps a willing desire to trust the making of decision to outside forces?

It just amazes me.

I think people (some) will be drawn to charasmatic people regardless of the message. As for the charasmatic people themselves, they give themselves a limited life-span when their "prophesies" fail.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

You are right, but like another poster said, at the end when the predictions fail they just find a lame excuse that is willingly accepted by the trusting followers.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

What you just said makes sense, though what bothers me is that in many cases the lifespans of their followers now have the same limitations, as was the case in Jonestown.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by cluckerspud
And what about Beetle-mania?! That was mass hysteria.

u tell me wats gud about mass hysteria .. do people look great when they r hyper active?

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Everybody is Neo. We all want to know what -is-. We get sidetracked by these predictions. With enough time we see prediction after prediction fail. Then we grow up enough to know that we can't trust anyone or anything. We lose all trust and then hope. Some of us turn to faith. Some turn to science. But we have to recover the broken pieces that make up our lives.

You can't prosecute this. Too many control freaks in our country. There's a pill for every problem. We need to grow some thicker skin and realize not everybody does well in life. We can't predict success that reliably. We can't make people. People come from the cloud. Get out of the way. You have to know when to quit and let nature handle it. Too many people never quit.

I wish I could sit here and answer all your questions. Like Morpheus. Or Trinity. Or whoever. Maybe god. Science? Bottom line, the answers never come easy and they're unclear. If you're cursed with asking them, you'll have to find a way to juggle your questions with your life. Remember, your body is mortal. Middle age happens quick. You get old soon after.
edit on 20-5-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

agree 100%.
I said as much in your other thread...
they should take his money and give it to the homeless, too.
Add: not to mention he scammed millions of dollars out of those people and it was ALL tax free! That's called what? oh Fraud!!!
edit on 20-5-2011 by ldyserenity because: to add

edit on 20-5-2011 by ldyserenity because: spelling

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bkrmn
reply to post by beezzer

What you just said makes sense, though what bothers me is that in many cases the lifespans of their followers now have the same limitations, as was the case in Jonestown.

Good point.

Lets just hope this doesn't end the same way.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

Thanks! I know is too much profits to be make on the scaremongering of people, I guess we are after all a all for profits nation and when I say an all for all I mean, if that includes death for profits.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Of course that's what Libya and Iraq was about...death for profits for the oil companies.
Death is a plus in this sick nation's eyes.
And if the rapture were to come well, nobody would be going anywhere anyway they'd all be left behind because this is what humans are about profit by way of death and destruction.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Someone who commits suicide, it's their decision, no one made them do it. It's a personal matter between them and their god or universe or whatever they believe in.

All i can think of is the old saying: the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
If the Doomsday promoters should be prosecuted if people commit suicide when an event doesnt happen, then should the people who say the Doomsday senario isnt going to happen be prosecuted when an event happens and people die because they didnt take steps to be prepared because they believed these people?

If that makes sense!

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I've never really understood why people will commit suicide if the rapture doesn't happen, Or two days before it happens. Just wait it out......You're gonna "die" in two days anyway (Not that I believe this BS). Should there be celebrations if it doesn't happen, Something like "God has forgiven us, He's giving us another chance"?.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Concert promoters, Fight proimoters, Event promoters.

Doomsday promoters ?

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by pazcat

I couldn't agree more with what you have said! They should be sterilized..

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   

I think PT Barnum once said something along the lines of "There's a sucker born every minute and two more to take him"

If people are pathetic enough to hang their self-worth on the promises of a Shaman and then fall into depression when the sham is revealed, so be it.

By the way: if anyone actually is planning on jumping off a roof Sunday morning at 12:01 am, please try not to land on the gold Saturn SVU, ok?
edit on 20-5-2011 by mydarkpassenger because: add

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join