It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blood Chocolate - And the suspicious death of a chocolate CEO

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
You may never eat chocolate again if you knew
the whole story. This ain't Willy Wonka and
the Chocolate Factory by any means.

We all love a good conspiracy theory well
I am about to share one for discussion
on ATS.

Did you know that over 50% of the worlds
chocolate comes from 2 African Provinces
including the Ivory Coast where ex-president
Gbagbo was just arrested by French forces
and the UN. Gbagbo is now in custody.
Did you also know a very prominent man
involved with the chocolate industry
died in the very same week?

Chocolate company CEO Pietro Ferrero dies in biking accident.
eatocracy.cnn.com...

His father is the wealthiest man in Italy. And his company
Ferrero Chocolate accounts for 2% of the worlds
chocolate manufacturing which they in turn get from
illegal child slave labor in the Ivory Coast.

Now why in the world would a healthy man just fall
off his bike and die. Something is very suspicious here.

Top Cocoa Bean Processors

As the following list shows, the cocoa processing industry is highly concentrated. Profits are driven by large-scale production capabilities, with 3 multinationals processing over 40% of cocoa beans worldwide each year.

Archer Daniels Midland (US) ... 15% of global cocoa bean grindings
Cargill (US) ... 14%
Barry Callebaut (Switzerland) ... 13%
Nestle (Switzerland) ... 5%
Cadbury Schweppes (UK) ... 3%
Hershey (US) ... 2%
Ferraro (Italy) ... 2%
Mars (US) ... 2%

www.suite101.com...

Well some may say that 2% is not a lot. That may be true but
it would give the man who died insight into the child slave labor
trade in the Ivory Coast. And in his case, may have made him
a target for assassination to keep quiet on the chocolate cartels.

I just find it highly suspicious that a healthy man just fell off his bike
and died. Don't you?? Especially in the line of work that he was in.
Here are some videos concerning the child slave labor which produces
the chocolate that you eat.

A video entitled Blood Chocolate

Italian-owned Ferrero operates 15 production facilities, 11 of which are located outside Italy. Well-known Ferrero brands include Ferrero Rocher and Nutella.

from link above

A spokesperson for Italian confectionery company Ferrero SpA confirmed today that their joint chief executive Pietro Ferrero has died in an accident in South Africa. The 47-year-old father of three was traveling for business when he reportedly fainted and fell from his bicycle during a routine ride.

Italian Foreign Minister Franco Frattini released a statement saying, "Italy has lost a businessman who represented the best qualities of our economic history."

Ferreo's father, 85-year-old father Michele is Italy's richest man, having taken over the company from his parents Piera and Pietro who founded the company in the 1940s.

eatocracy.cnn.com...

Fairtrade is an organization committed to ousting the
child slave labor in the cocoa industry.

There was dissent between cocoa manufacturers and NGO's.

The Challenge: High tensions existed between leaders of the cocoa industry and NGOs that advocate for fair labor practices. Many representatives of NGOs felt that industry representatives could not be trusted partners in the process of verifying surveys. Industry representatives felt unduly mistrusted and that some NGOs were not very familiar with conditions on the ground in millions of small cocoa farms. These conflicting groups needed to agree on a process for verifying child labor surveys to satisfy a U.S. government protocol, but neither side was satisfied with the other’s proposal.

www.publicconversations.org...

So was Ferrero assassinated to keep him quiet
or was it truly an accident ???

You be the judge.

edit on 4/18/2011 by boondock-saint because: corrected video url

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by YourPopRock
Oompah Loompah INDEED!
Doop - A - Dee - Do.

well I was expecting a lil more response
than just a reference to Wonka.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
same as every other commodity in the world...if you are not buying naturally and organically from developed nations, you support every evil that corporations and governments perpetrate on mankind...i would rather starve and go naked than buy clothes and food produced by slaves and child laborers...the ONLY way to vote is with your money, and if you havent realized that by now you deserve everything the NWO wants to do to you...

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
It wouldn't be surprising most of our food comes from cheap labor. A majority of ATS users probably never have hunted in their lives or grown their own food. I wonder what would happen if we started growing our own food? We did it during WW2! Why can't we do it today?

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
and here is a punch to Hersey's gut

Green America Fair Trade Coordinator Elizabeth O'Connell said: "We've already had tens of thousands of U.S. consumers participate directly in various campaigns to highlight Hershey's troubling reliance on forced and child labor in West Africa. Now, we want to get consumers directly involved in spoofing the ads of Hershey to put more heat on the company."

Global Exchange Fair Trade Director Adrienne Fitch Frankel said: "It remains our hope that Hershey will put an end to these unconscionable labor abuses. That day is likely to come about more quickly as even more Americans tell Hershey to clean up its chocolate mess."

ILRF Campaigns Director Tim Newman said: "Hershey lags behind the rest of the industry in failing to have any independent, third party certification for its cocoa. More and more consumers are calling on Hershey to raise the bar and begin sourcing Fair Trade Certified cocoa."

newsblaze.com...

yes, by all means enjoy your Hersey bar.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
nvm...
2nd
edit on 4/18/2011 by PennKen2009 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by PennKen2009
But you said their company only accounts for 2% of chocolate production?

Gadaffi only accounts for 2% of America's Oil
but they are still fighting him.

My point was not that Ferrero was the biggest
producer of child slave labor produced cocoa
but that he was involved enough in it that he
may have had whistleblower info that may have
gotten him assassinated. He was still involved
and had insider info in the slave trade.
And he suspiciously died.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Well I definitely think the civil war over Ivory Coast's next president was do to our addiction to chocolate, mmm ferrero rochers! But maybe the CEO was addicted to chocolate as well. He could have fallen off his bike reaching for a candy bar.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
and another related video

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by FeraVerto
A majority of ATS users probably never have hunted in their lives or grown their own food.

well u would not be talking about me.
I'm from the south and have done both

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Thank you, its really hard to get fair trade chocolate too. Fair trade coffee, I buy as much as I can afford. Mountain Mayan is a good tasting brand.

The Fair Trade isn't being done in the right way either. It shoudln't cost as much as it does for chocolate or coffee considering the cifference in the dollars even though it is directly going to the producers and farm labor and the children are in school, not in the fields. The difference in price seems to be the middle man, our Corporations that are richly rewarding themselves.

There is a lot of issues people need to pay attention to. Madagascar. Where the companies have over logged their mountains and ruined the climate and nature, for their profit. The farm land is owned by wealthy internationalists and grow export fringe crops, like vanilla beans, and not food for the millions of people expected to work for the rich, but not feed themselves, as there is very little arable land for food. Its an obscenity and they need to toss out their governments, and the land needs to be restored back to the people. In addition, lots of trees need to be brought in an replanted to change the climate back to rain and life giving.

Of course all of this is being said in the midst of global weather anomalies and earth changes.

So alot of our food is done by bloodshed, starvation, exhortion of land and resources, and child labor, and most are unaware.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

That sounds fun. I never hunted in my life. I wonder how does one person hunt and cleans an animal?

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   
A routine bike ride? so he was a experianced rider and he died from just a fall? opens up alot of speculation without further explanation.Pietro Ferrero death comes as his company considers joining a takeover battle for Parmalat SpA (PLT), as part of a government- backed group of Italian investors trying to block France’s Groupe Lactalis from gaining control of Italy’s biggest dairy company..He was rich and we don't know what sort of circles he traveled in...so anything's possible wouldnt surprise me if he had child labor thats how the rich get richer im sure he was probley assassinated to keep him quiet ..S&F

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Boon,

Thanks for bringing this important matter to ATS!

Another tragedy, brought to us by greed, and a desire for forutne and fame.

Hopefully this information can add some clarity to the issue, and help chocolate lovers be resposible!

Hershey Foods Corp., the nation’s largest chocolate-maker, says it is “shocked” and “deeply concerned” that its products, such as Hershey’s Kisses, Nuggets, Hershey chocolate bars and Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups, may be made with cocoa produced by child slaves. The company, which has a long history of involvement with children, says it is deeply embarrassed by revelations of indirect involvement with child slavery. (Hershey Foods, which has a market capitalization on Wall Street of $8.4 billion, is affiliated with a school for orphaned and disadvantaged children, established in 1909 by company founder Milton S. Hershey and his wife Catherine.)

M&M Mars and Hershey Foods Corp. are not alone. Other companies whose chocolate is almost certainly tainted with child slavery include: ADM Cocoa, Ben & Jerry’s, Cadbury Ltd., Chocolates by Bernard Callebaut, Fowler’s Chocolate, Godiva, Guittard Chocolate Company, Kraft, Nestle, See’s Candies, The Chocolate Vault, and Toblerone. While most of these companies have issued condemnations of slavery, and expressed a great deal of moral outrage that it exists in the industry, they each have acknowledged that they use Ivory Coast cocoa and so have no grounds to ensure consumers that their products are slavery-free.

Companies like Mars, Hershey, and Nestle often say that there is no way they can control the labor practices of their suppliers. But there are other chocolate companies who manage to do so, and it would seem that if the bigger companies really wanted to reform problems in the supply chain, they have the power and ability to do so.
www.johnrobbins.info...

There are many chocolate companies who according to company correspondence use cocoa that has definitively not been produced with slave labor; including Cliff Bar, Cloud Nine, Dagoba Organic Chocolate, Denman Island Chocolate, Gardners Candies, Green and Black’s, Kailua Candy Company, Koppers Chocolate, L.A. Burdick Chocolates, Montezuma’s Chocolates, Newman’s Own Organics, Omanhene Cocoa Bean Company, Rapunzel Pure Organics, and The Endangered Species Chocolate Company.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships
Boon,
Thanks for bringing this important matter to ATS!
Another tragedy, brought to us by greed, and a desire for fortune and fame.

ur welcome and thanks for your
contribution as well

star 4 u

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by sugarcookie1

hey cookie, thanks for that.
I didn't know they were venturing
into the dairy business or a hostile
takeover. I think most chocolate products
have dairy in them.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
*sigh*
thats it
noe more chocolate ishtar bunnies for me...

i like ovaltine anyhow

ps
make that radioactive dairy...
edit on 18-4-2011 by Danbones because: ps

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Holy Crapola !!!
Like this story didn't have enough twists and turns
already with the slave child labor. Guess what else
I just found out.

Pietro Ferrero was an Italian member
of the CFR (Council of Foreign Relations)

Consigliere: Pietro Ferrero; è anche consigliere di Italcementi Spa

msdfli.wordpress.com...

OK, now my interest is really peaked.

A CFR member just ups and dies while riding a bicycle.
Not a chance in he!!.
There is more here.

Soros is CFR also.

edit on 4/18/2011 by boondock-saint because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Great thread!! good timing...,, i just started a diet...

my wife was appalled--- good work--- it helps when i sit at the computer for MANY hours a day,,
and friends like you, uhhm "justify" my time ,(in her eyes) with a socially-redeeming-mindset-changing-eyeopener...

thank you!! time to play poker

edit on 4/18/11 by darrman because: ok im joking...... cant play poker till she goes to sleep...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join