It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquake Swarm in Arkansas Intensifies. Memphis, Tennessee could be epicenter for the next big one

page: 114
<< 111  112  113    115  116  117 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 06:31 AM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

That zoomed in trace you were looking at is minor earthquake signatures riding on the basic wave that gives the wobbly line. I was examining a small portion of this last night and saw exactly that.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 06:42 AM
link   
In regards to the history of earthquakes in Arkansas I found this website.

I do not know how accurate the information is, but counting through the list, there were only a little over 20 listed for Faulkner County (Greenbrier, AK) between 1990 - 2009.

Fast forward to now...... I can count well over 20 EQs for the same area since February 24, 2011.

Something has changed.

I also found a page of historical data that can be downloaded here.

OiO

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 06:50 AM
link   
reply to post by OneisOne

umm - USGS has 56 quakes since the 24th on Their list
and those are only the ones with mags of 2.0 or greater. Yes, something has changed - a loop hole in Halliburton.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Yes that site is accurate, and yes something has changed. They started injecting!!

reply to post by Anmarie96

Yes that list only shows 2.0 upwards.

You need this one
edit on 1/3/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

Having just discovered how to make the seismos in my signature automatically change day I have set them to do that and also changed the links on Fracking Arkansas. Now they will flip over at midnight UTC give or take a minute or two.

Good anti-frac site which is based on the Marcellus shale area.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Anmarie96

Well I'll be honest and say I only eyeballed the 20+ since Feb, 24. Counting this early makes my head hurt!

Your post however just amplifies the fact that something has changed for this area over the past year. I've heard many people with logical minds say there is no such thing as a coincidence. If that is true, then using the information that we have, what is causing these EQs? I know I have my answer to that question. I do beleive that the use of the gas wells is causing the activity. And that is what I will believe until someone can prove that this is all caused by a natural force, no human involvement.

No matter if the EQs are natural or induced, it is a no win. Natural could mean a bigger quake is on the way, induced means there are people making money polluting the water while making the ground unstable.

And by the way Anmarie96...... Happy Birthday!!!!!!!

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

I don't know if everyone has seen it, but Yahoo News actually has an article about the 4.7 quake. It even mentions fracking. I don't know how to link to things but I thought I would mention it in case you guys want to take a look at it.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Are the new quakes in Texas natural?

I don't know, I haven't had time to look. I wonder if there's fracking, or injection, in the quake area?

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Just to let you know, I am traveling with my mother about 3states away from home. I will have the full list of references to post in a couple of days.
Glad to see MSM is starting to take notice. Keep up the good work, will back in a couple of days, you folks in AK stay safe.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Has anyone read this thread?
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Here's the thing, from the videos I placed here yesterday, it came to my attention that they figure these 3. and lesser EQ are not reason to stop the fracking. The problem is as we know it to be is that what they find insignificant can and will do irreparable damage to the fault lines and in the end be the cause of a major contributor to a massive EQ as well as the possibility of awakening dormant volcanoes across the US.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by newsoul

I don't know if everyone has seen it, but Yahoo News actually has an article about the 4.7 quake. It even mentions fracking. I don't know how to link to things but I thought I would mention it in case you guys want to take a look at it.

I found several articles on Yahoo.... but this one is from today.

Yahoo News

While searching the articles I came across one posted on cnn.com. It has the usual info that has been reported since the 4.7 happened. But there was one line at the end that made me giggle.

Ausbrooks has said the state Geological Survey was trying to determine whether the current swarm is natural or due to some man-made cause.

source

What?!? Talk about a throw away line!.... "or due to some man-made cause"

I laughed, then a cried a bit.
edit on 1-3-2011 by OneisOne because: arrgh! can't get the stupid link to display correctly!!!!

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Hello, we have a bingo.

I checked the Texas quakes. Within five miles I found a fracking pad. There is gas production in the area of the Texas quake.

Please someone post an image of the area. You can clearly see an active fracking site.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

And I'm sure the dry wells have been converted and are used as injection wells.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by odd1out

Show us your work, then.

Gads, I sound like a teacher.

Here's some more pap, by the way:

Over a 7-month monitoring period, 3237 microearthquakes were detected during primary oil production; no injection operations were conducted. Gross changes in production rate correlate with microearthquake event rate with event rate lagging production-rate changes by about 2 weeks.

Los Alamos National Lab., NM (United States)
Sponsoring Org USDOE, Washington, DC (United States);Kentucky State Government, Frankfort, KY (United States)
Source

More

The map of microearthquake locations indicated that events occurred in the vicinity of producing wells and away from injection wells.

Los Alamos National Lab., NM (USA)
Sponsoring Org DOE/FE

More

During a massive hydraulic fracturing experiment carried out at Fenton Hill, New Mexico, 850 microearthquakes, ranging in magnitudes from -3 to 0, were located reliably using arrival times recorded at a set of 5 downhole geophone stations.

Research Org Los Alamos National Lab., NM (USA); Bundesanstalt fuer Geowissenschaften und Rohstoffe, Hannover (Germany, F.R.); Central Research Inst. of Electric Power Industry, Abiko, Chiba (Japan)

I know, you're going to say that these quakes are nowhere near close in magnitude to what we're seeing in AR and you are correct. It's a matter of scale. They weren't going after natural gas, the were looking for imaging data. Ramp up the energy put in to the fracturing and you get a corresponding increase in outcome.

More still

Findings of this project suggest that deep saline sequestration in the mid-continent region is not feasible without major financial incentives, such as tax credits or otherwise, that do not exist at this time. However, results of the analysis suggest that enhanced oil recovery with carbon sequestration is indeed feasible and practical for specific types of geologic settings in the Midwestern U.S.

Research Org University Of Utah
Sponsoring Org USDOE
Source

While not related to the seismic activity, it does seem to say that in order to begin the process(which is quite profitable) the companies need to have the wheels greased. Or at least That's what I take from t, other interpretations are possible, so make your own.

Of course the prosecution is going to have a supposition of guilt for the accused, they wouldn't be able to do a very good job if they didn't believe they were correct. If the jury has to decide upon a verdict, they will need to be swayed by the arguments along with the evidence, which is the prosecutions job to obtain and present for consideration.

If the jury has already determined the outcome before even considering argument or evidence then they are not impartial.

The oil and gas industry as well as academia takes induced seismicity AS FACT, it presupposes a lot of research and technology in use today and more that is planned to be used.

The case may not be closed but there's a lot of weight to the evidence already presented.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Just in. 2.6 from before today's 3.3

Date/Time UTC,Latitude,Longitude,Magnitude,Depth(Km),Location
2011-03-01T10:04:55.000Z,35.26910,-92.34630,2.6000,2.4000,Arkansas
2011-03-01T10:56:20.000Z,35.28880,-92.34000,3.3000,2.4000,Arkansas

Another just came in
Date/Time UTC,Latitude,Longitude,Magnitude,Depth(Km),Location
2011-03-01T03:35:29.000Z,35.25410,-92.35870,2.7000,4.8000,Arkansas

New videos page. All videos from comments etc in the one place.
Add new ones in a comment
frackingarkansas.wordpress.com...

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Please post the Texas quakes on a map and find the fracking pads.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by newsoul

St. Louis radio (KMOX) is doing stories on it and fracking.

I am sending emails to local TV stations asking them to report on this and get the video from the convenience store on TV.

Local Fox 2 is getting the video and will probably run a story about the quakes and links to fracking/water disposal at 11 AM today in STL or by 5 PM. They contacted me for more info and links.

edit on 3/1/2011 by katfish because: add info

edit on 3/1/2011 by katfish because: more info

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I expect another 3+ mag. in the next hour or so.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   

I'd also think it's important to give the area residents a heads up on next months proposed town meeting so everyone can get organized and not let the fracking issues get swept under the rug.

quote from article:

"Scott Ausbrooks, seismologist for the Arkansas Geological Survey, said Sunday's record quake was at the "max end" of what scientists expect to happen, basing that judgment on this swarm and others in the past. It's possible that a quake ranging from magnitude 5.0 to 5.5 could occur, but anything greater than that is highly unlikely, he said.

Ausbrooks said he plans to hold a town hall meeting in Greenbrier next month to address people's concerns."

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Good rumbling jolt just now in greenbrier

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
and another one....

new topics

top topics

<< 111  112  113    115  116  117 >>

join