It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Above Top Secret concerns.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   
I recently just signed up for ATS after I graduated from MIT with a pHD. I am 28 year's old and wish to give a vialed complaint.

1. I'm tired of random people spamming forums so they can get enough post counts in order to "post new topics".
2. ATS needs to enforce disinfo and misleading post's.
3. Don't allow ATS to become politicized.
4. Disable the posting privilege too those whom fear monger.

I have a bunch more complaints but I'll leave those to everyone else who is fed up with the crap posters on ATS.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
ATS has Terms and Conditions that each member must follow. As long as people post w/in the T&C of the site, they are free to post whether they have a Ph.D or an ABC. "Crap posters" is clearly in the eye of the reader.

If you have a specific complaint about a post, alert it. If it is a general complaint, use the Complaint form, located under TOOLS.

*snip* because thread was moved to proper place
edit on February 12th 2011 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by MITSwagger

It's kind of like life though isn't it? I mean we have jerks everywhere but the trick is just don't take it personal and get at them with facts.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by MITSwagger

I'll see if i can address these one at a time.

1. I'm tired of random people spamming forums so they can get enough post counts in order to "post new topics".

This one I agree with for the most part. It is quite easy to simply peruse past the short one liner 'I agree" posts, which are discouraged anyway. Those who make such posts usually dont last long anyway.

Who can really say what is disinfo on a site such as this. Many people have beliefs regarding conspiracies and mysterious topics that will differ immensely. To label something as disinfo is to discredit the kind of thinking that we at ATS come together for.

3. Don't allow ATS to become politicized.

Not sure what you exactly mean here. We have a politics thread and there are many members from each of the political parties that like to have it out here quite often. Just start a thread about Sarah Palin and you will see the vitriolic remarks that follow.

How do we tell the difference between those who are fear mongering and who are voicing legitimate concerns. We can not just discount others POVs because we might not agree or think they are just mongering, for it may be legitimate.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   

I have one myself only recently. The number of threads, that have a micro organism, of an opening post. Ir's like abuse, if you don't post, a well put together thread, that includes your views of the subject. Offering no meat for discussion at the beginning, dosn't help the thread to even float for awhile. Sometimes they do anyway but I think it's hurting ATS quite a bit.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   

1. I'm tired of random people......

As a random person I must say I represent that remark.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   

It'd be complicated but it could be done. You'd have to rework the whole karma system though or allow another system that allows people to flag posts as annoying/fear mongering, etc.

So you'd have something like :

1) Poster annoys/fear mongers.
2) Other members flag them and a negative points system/meter builds up. If it's not too bad and they stop, the system allows for that and the meter/system over a set period of time cools down and returns to normal. If not, or they've annoyed too many people :
3) They hit a stage where the system sends them an automated message, telling them that they're causing problems.
4) After that the system stops gathering points, even if people carry on flagging previous posts, and tracks what happens next. Again the system cools down and slowly reduces points.
5) They either don't post for a bit or stop being annoying. If they don't and the next post(s) gather a certain number of flags over a period of time, they get one more warning.
6) Then the system goes back to steps 4 and 5.
7) If the results of 5 are again bad, the system disables their ability to post for a fortnight. If it happens again, a month, then takes increasing steps of 6 months, 1 year, then banning.

Of course you could ban a lot earlier, but I think it's cool that people are given several chances.

So, anoyone want to start coding it and try adding it to the site? Shouldn't take much messing around.

Or you could just ignore them. It's people that reply/quote and reply to their posts that gives them fuel to carry on.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Hitoshura

The problem I see with this concept is the potential for abuse. For example a heated debate where one group of opinions is in heated discussion with another, opposing group. Instead of debating the talking points, they just start "negative flagging" one another. Imagine what the Aliens and UFO forum would look like if this were possible...

Half of the posters, at any given time, in any give thread, would be disabled from posting.

~Heff

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 12:44 AM
link   

This is what the alert feature is for, so staff can step in.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 12:52 AM
link   

I am 28 year's old and wish to give a vialed complaint.

Is your PhD in chemistry, Mr/s Swagger?

Is that why your complaints come in vials?

Presumably you were not required to show proficiency in English...

ATS is an entertainment site. There may be some information contained in it occasionally with all the misinformation and disinformation, but in the scheme of things none of it really matters, so long as people are overtly happy and not in Egypt.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

The problem I see with this concept is the potential for abuse. For example a heated debate where one group of opinions is in heated discussion with another, opposing group. Instead of debating the talking points, they just start "negative flagging" one another. Imagine what the Aliens and UFO forum would look like if this were possible...

Half of the posters, at any given time, in any give thread, would be disabled from posting.

~Heff

Easy fixed..Give me the button, I'll decide..

Anyone seen weed?

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Once upon a time, a long long time ago, there was an Ignore Button on ATS which worked wonders in getting rid of the garbage. Then someone came up with a genius idea to do away with the Ignore Button, subjecting us random people to an ever increasing amount of garbage.

The moral of the story is we all lived happily ever after while up to our ears in garbage. Good luck with your expectations, although I do not see anyone of them coming to fruition anytime soon.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 12:59 AM
link   

I recently just signed up for ATS after I graduated from MIT with a pHD. I am 28 year's old and wish to give a vialed complaint.

I doubt your hairy chested claim.

It's not phD but PhD...and someone who has one would know that.

Besides, the definition of a PhD is...
...someone who knows more and more about less and less...
...until they know everything about nothing.

Keep trying Mr Swagger pHD...

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   
You took that discounted Dale Carnegie course didn't you?

The fact is that ATS is not new to the forum game. They run it the way they see fit and probably turn a nice profit while they are at it.

All types of people are a part of this community. Learn to overlook what bothers you is the best advice anyone can give. If something violates the t&c... report it.

Enjoy your stay.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Doesn't it also annoy you when people start "nothing" threads with little meat in them?
Here's a great example I chose at random..

The entire OP..

Looking for people who will be recording the game tonight and for people who are watching to keep your eyes open for UFO's then come back here and report it if you see one!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I mean, there's a full 2 mins I'll never get back right??

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 01:09 AM
link   
We have a misleading post, as the opening post of this thread.

-- with a pHD --

I know several who are proud of their Ph.D degree, and would never mistakenly spell it the way you just did.

-- give a vialed complaint. --

Perhaps you intended to use the word, "valid"? Again, no Ph.D with whom I converse would misspell such a simple word.

---get enough post counts

"Post Count" is a singular common noun. The plural usage in your message is improper.

Oh, I see, you're attempting to lead us by example. Your poor ability to communicate with the written word would have us believe you want ATS to enforce its members to author disinformation and misleading content. How did you ever complete an acceptable thesis?

-- Disable the posting privilege too --

This is where you should have used the plural "posting privileges."

those whom fear monger.

"Whom" is inappropriate here. The proper usage would be "who."

I have a bunch more complaints --

Perhaps you should re-register with a new account and begin anew. This account is sullied.

Extraordinary claims (an MIT Ph.D) require extraordinary evidence, of which you have failed to provide.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 01:13 AM
link   

And while I'm at it. There is a old stool at the far end of the graduate student rathskeller bar, for whom is that reserved and what happens to anyone else who sits there?

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by mister.old.school

I suppose if I pointed-out the teeny weeny error in your last sentence I would be a boring pedant.

But what the heck

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 01:20 AM
link   
There are thousands who don't conform to the ATS TOS. Hell I even violated it just by making this thread.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 01:22 AM
link   

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join