It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In fear of what may come I have moved to Alaska with $800.00 in my pocket.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
I haven't read anything other than your post. But at least get away from the coast. Fairbanks is due north of you and has a much higher elevation and is a mid sized town as far as towns go in Alaska.

Me and the wife looked at it a while ago but decided that we didn't think that we could hack the winters. But perhaps you can.

It's a least worth a gander for you.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   
OP, I have to say, I admire you!

You took your dream, and made it a reality, for whatever reason. It's people like you that still give me hope for the human race. You didnt sit on your bum and wish, you DID it.

Whatever your reasons for moving there, look inside yourself and know that you really are worth it

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by robotically

Juneau is beautiful I would love to be there. Learn how to use snares and make sure you have a long term water source.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by warequalsmurder

Hey, I dont think anyone can ever be too old,Thanks for the suggestion on Fairbanks Ill take a look. Have a good one bud.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Yummy Freelunch

Yeah it was very scary for me Ill be honest. I am over 4,000 miles away from home and family and I am doing everything in my power to hack it. I am in love with this place and I think everyone else up here is too. Did you know, when I first got into town I was walking through the city and on every lamp post they these little cigarette extinguishers. There is a sign on every one of them at it states that dropping a butt on the ground is a 200.00$ fine immediately, I was very impressed it is so unbelievably clean up here, people really take care of this place, its inspiring, people just dont litter here it is really frowned upon, not like in New York where people dont give a damn. Here, people do everything in their power to keep it tidy. I feel like I am in paradise. I have a few photos that you guys just have to see. Ill get a pic of my new'ish car and my cabin'ish cabin. I have seen it on TV and stuff but you just cant fully appreciate it until you are here. Just don't work for a fishery like I did if you dont have to, its not worth it, although I did meet a really cute Ukrainian girl, we still write eachother. When I broke my hand they put me on light duty, sorting caviar eggs with all of the females lol.

She and I would always play and have fun, that last part actually was bearable, that I would do again, even if it meant Iwould have to break my hand again. she made it worth it.
edit on 8-2-2011 by robotically because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by robotically
reply to post by Yummy Freelunch

Yeah it was very scary for me Ill be honest. I am over 4,000 miles away from home and family and I am doing everything in my power to hack it. I am in love with this place and I think everyone else up here is too. Did you know, when I first got into town I was walking through the city and on every lamp post they these little cigarette extinguishers. There is a sign on every one of them at it states that dropping a butt on the ground is a 200.00$ fine immediately, I was very impressed it is so unbelievably clean up here, people really take care of this place, its inspiring, people just dont litter here it is really frowned upon, not like in New York where people dont give a damn. Here, people do everything in their power to keep it tidy. I feel like I am in paradise. I have a few photos that you guys just have to see. Ill get a pic of my new'ish car and my cabin'ish cabin. I have seen it on TV and stuff but you just cant fully appreciate it until you are here. Just don't work for a fishery like I did if you dont have to, its not worth it, although I did meet a really cute Ukrainian girl, we still write eachother. When I broke my hand they put me on light duty, sorting caviar eggs with all of the females lol.

She and I would always play and have fun, that last part actually was bearable, that I would do again, even if it meant Iwould have to break my hand again. she made it worth it.
edit on 8-2-2011 by robotically because: (no reason given)

Looking forward to seeing pics!
Sounds like you really did find paradise.
Must be culture shock going from a big city to a serene, pristine land.
All in all, you did what many of us dream of doing. I would love to move somewhere virtually untouched, but it does take the funds.
I always swore if a truckload of money comes my way, Im buying up a ton of land and making a huge commune where everyone lives off the land. Hmmm..isnt that the Amish?

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   
....... This is just sad I dont wanna insult the op, so i'll just say good luck dont let the polar bears bite your ass

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Very cool! (no pun intended
)

After you've been there a year you can get the Citizen dividend too.

Alaska Permanent Fund

Anxious for some pics! Good luck to you.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Good for you robotically....it takes a lot of guts to just leave everything and move on to something totally unknown and new.
I did that once but didnt make it quite as far as AK, I landed in California and stayed put for a while.

I applaud you for your courage and Im glad you are loving your new found home. Forget about the whole 2012 thing, just getting out of a rut and out of the rat race and into something new and exciting sounds better than I can even relay at present time.

Enjoy yourself and post some of those pics you were mentioning. Stay warm up there.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   

edit on 2/8/11 by BlackOps719 because: double post

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 03:55 AM
link   
I would think a better bet for yu would be the Grand Canyon area, with the hopi. That is, of course, if you take alot of what you read here as true. They believe that they will be the only ones to survive all the doom.

Glad you're enjoying your trek. Hope you find what you're looking for.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 06:20 AM
link   

"Its truly amazing that Salmon even exist with all that we took over the summer."

You are a part of the problem, not the solution. You should run scared.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Haters be hatin'. Just keep rollin' !
Good luck and congrats on your big move!

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Well. hate to break it to you.. but nothing is going to happen.
Polar shift have happened they don't cause that much damage.
A shift isn't that big of a deal, conspiracy theorists shouted their heads off about the poles flipping, and somehow that got confused with the more common scenario of a pole shift. The poles are constantly on the move by the way.

So I hope you enjoyed your adventure at least, if it's not a story.

One question.. what would make you think that Alaska would be the safe place to go?
What makes sense about that? Also..on the ocean?

edit on 8-2-2011 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   

I would prefer it if the world remains, but fair enough, good luck to you

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by rusethorcain

"Its truly amazing that Salmon even exist with all that we took over the summer."

You are a part of the problem, not the solution. You should run scared.

You are both wrong, it had to be farmed salmon. It's like saying it's amazing that there is any cows left seeing how many burgers are eaten.

And to the OP.
Good luck, I personaly don't think anything is going to happen, at least not any "Day After Tomorrow" kind of scenario.
I have allways dreamed of living in Alaska, fishing and hunting

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Double, not really sure how that happened, as earlier post was not showing before.
edit on 8-2-2011 by MoneyRain because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-2-2011 by MoneyRain because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by ANClENT

Yeah, thankfully the Polar Bears are a bit further North, the ones I have to worry about are much bigger. I just wont be visiting Kodiak any time soon unless I have a big gun. Heh.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by SkurkNilsen

Yeah I realize being surprised about how much salmon we processed and that are any left is a bit foolish but you have to think about the shear quantity taken in just by the one fishery I worked at. I remember not having work at all for a few days and then BAM! We would be on standby waiting for hauls to come in from Wrangle. See there was a bit of a slow down actually at the beginning of the season we didnt work at all. I got hired to process salmon and there I was working in the crab shack de-gilling crab. Then we got word by our supervisor that the fisheries in Wrangle are full and turning away the fisherman looking to unload there. They had to turn around and head up our way. Now that was a 3 day trek for some of the fisherman and they were bringing in a total of 4 million lbs.
4 MILLION LBS!! We started working 16hr days just so we could keep up with the amount coming in it was crazy. Not to mention the regular fishermen who usually unload at Petersburg. In total it was around 6-8 million lbs. Some of the Salmon were 4 days old and when you picked them up your fingers went right through the skin. Pretty nasty, I still have clothes that smell a bit like fish that have been washed and washed. Anyway that was just a spurt at the end of the Summer not to mention what we processed all together during the summer. I dont know for sure but it was over 20 million lbs. One fishery. Now put that into perspective.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Hey Robo, first of all thankyou very much for sharing your experiences with us! Since the days when I was a child and my grandfather told me about Alaska, I've been fascinated by that land, and like many others who posted in this thread, I dream about leaving it all behind and move up to Alaska to find rest and peace.

Nobody knows what's going to happen in the future, but no matter what happens, keeping in mind your account of your earlier life in NY, I'm pretty sure you already benefit from your decision moving to Alaska. Because, as you told, your personality grew because of it!

You can be proud of yourself, because you did what many (including me) fail to do - to overcome your fear and make your path into the unknown.

Life long and prosper, I wish you (and all the other posters here) all the best!!!

kind regards from Germany,
Daniel

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join