It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rahm Emanuel Kicked off of the Chicago Ballot

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

You got the details right.

The law requires one year prior residence in the city.

It then goes on to specify an exemption to that requirement if that person was doing the "State or Nations Business"

...but there is question as to whether that was specific to just Voters as opposed to people running for office...and 2 of 3 judges decided that exemption did not apply to candidates for office.

Hopefully the IL Supreme court will overturn it. Not becuase I am a fan of Rahm's...but under this interpretation it would mean that returning vets from Afghanistan or Iraq would not be able to run for any office in Chicago...as a penalty for serving the country....and no one...Rahm, Veterans ...whatever should be deemed less a resident for serving the country. Just my opinion...politics and whether you like or hate Rahm etc. aside.

edit on 24-1-2011 by maybereal11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by maybereal11

but under this interpretation it would mean that returning vets from Afghanistan or Iraq would not be able to run for any office in Chicago...as a penalty for serving the country....and no one...Rahm, Veterans ...whatever should be deemed less a resident for serving the country.

There is an exemption for service members serving away from home.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Oaktree

Rahm was offered a job,which he took,the only country he served was isreal when he joined their army for two years.One can only have one loyalty,why didn't he volunteer for our armed forces,only he can answer that.the fact is he moved,changed his address,and worked in D.C.,he was not elected.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   
I'm glad he did. Him saying that he's a resident is just the start of his lies. A guy who wants to go from Chief of Staff to a Mayor is not all there. There is something about all of this that isn't right.

I guess I shouldn't get my hopes up just yet. Rahm is going to go and tattle and Obama will "persuade" the Illinois Supreme Court to put Rahm back on and then he'll win and be mayor.

Rahm gives me a bad feeling.

Chico is the man for the job.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Reply to post by ljtg123

I'm not a fan of mob rule. If he's the "peoples choice" he appeals to the lowest common denominator. I do not enjoy being ruled by the lowest common denominator. There is no election I approve of. Every election means I'm about to become the subject of some new idiot riding high on the shoulders of morons.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I'm sick of them bending things, but yes rahm must have fallen out of favor.

I mean Cheney was governor of Wyoming when he lived in Texas and no one made a stink about that.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Yahooooooooooo. The power of a republic is based on it's adherence to law and not the will of the majority. I don't know.about that polls results either, I worked for Mitofsky Edison and I can tell you this about Polls. If you know how to run SPSS softwware you can have an answer first (read results) and then look for the questions to support it. Get it?

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by maybereal11Hopefully the IL Supreme court will overturn it. Not becuase I am a fan of Rahm's...but under this interpretation it would mean that returning vets from Afghanistan or Iraq would not be able to run for any office in Chicago...as a penalty for serving the country....and no one...Rahm, Veterans ...whatever should be deemed less a resident for serving the country. Just my opinion...politics and whether you like or hate Rahm etc. aside.

No, this is covered under the Soldiers and Sailors Relief Act; Soldiers do not loose their residency status although many choose to do so for tax reasons - first thing many do is change to FL, TX or another state that either does not tax military income or has no state tax at all. I'd take that trade over the tax rates in the Peoples Democratic Republic of Illinois.

He was not called to service of the country he was offered a job as an advisor to the President of the United States, he is an appointee not an elected official "called" means elected or activated not "got a new job offer".

White House Chief of Staff is a political position given as a reward for services rendered on the campaign trail to so you can control access to the POTUS’s daily schedule and therefore advance any promises or payoffs made to all the people you had to grease to get your guy into office all the while giving the actual POTUS the luxury of plausible deniability with regard to the same pay offs.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by OneNationUnder
I'm glad he did. Him saying that he's a resident is just the start of his lies. A guy who wants to go from Chief of Staff to a Mayor is not all there. There is something about all of this that isn't right.

I guess I shouldn't get my hopes up just yet. Rahm is going to go and tattle and Obama will "persuade" the Illinois Supreme Court to put Rahm back on and then he'll win and be mayor.

Rahm gives me a bad feeling.

Chico is the man for the job.

Vote for Pedro...

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
I think people should listen to talk radio more often.

Looks like this caller was right all along.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Chicago style politics. Rahmmy will take it to the ISC currently with a democat majority.

If you can show me the last untainted state election held in ILL. then I will admit that the will of the people is being served.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
This is precisely WHY we are NOT a democracy. The will of the people is always to get something for nothing. We are a REPUBLIC. And in a republic, the will of the people is heard, yes, but law trumps it. The LAW says this gangster can not run where he is not living. Simple. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
I think the real reason so many are cheering Rahm E.'s misfortune is because he is like so many others here have pointed out, a serious @hole.. A smiling Jack and a swaggart who walked the halls of the white house with a superiority complex almost as big as obama's, then he ups and quits and announces with great fanfare that he's running for Chicago mayor...and enjoying all the media attention.

A lot of people are sick to their stomach of these types.. One falls and 3 more pop up and are working for the same people, namely Obama.. All with criminal connections to one another if you follow their history and paper trail...And their political doctrines would make practically any past president turn in his grave..

So it shouldn't be any surprise at ALL that people will be cheering at his political and professional demise..

But with all the rampant corruption happening right now, I am sure he will find some well paying spot under someone's rock, unfortunately for America..

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   
I've never met a person that liked the guy. Left, Right, Center everyone says the same thing. Maybe Chicago is a very strange town.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   

you seem to have forgotten where you live....

and the Law states one must be a resident to qualify for office of mayor..

the will of the people made that law to which the judges are adhering too...

if he could prove his residency he would have done so..

and further more..

Democrat or Republican have become two heads of the same snake...

We are facing an Oligarchy..

the Rule of sound Law is all we have left..

its refreshing to here news of Judges who abide by this..

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by mayabong
I've never met a person that liked the guy. Left, Right, Center everyone says the same thing. Maybe Chicago is a very strange town.

Apparently, yes, they like their mobsters.
edit on 103131p://bMonday2011 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
First, I do not know about those poll results because everyone I have spoken to has no plans of voting for Rahm. I do know that about two months ago I received daily calls from a pollster asking if I was planning to vote for him. Each and every time I said no, yet they persisted until I had to get a little belligerent with them.

Second, my primary reason for not voting for him is that I strongly believe that dual citizens have no place in government local or federal. As some mentioned he volunteered for the IDF. At first, I assumed that it was when he was 18 or so when Israel requires citizens to enlist. Not so with Rahm, he volunteered in 1991 during the Gulf War. I'm sorry, but why didn't he volunteer to serve the US military? Because he was busy demonstrating his loyalty. That's fine, be loyal to Israel, or Columbia, or India for all I care, however, then you need to stay the hell out of American government.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 05:54 AM
link   
This is great news.

Rahm Emanuel is so so evil.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Oaktree

but under this interpretation it would mean that returning vets from Afghanistan or Iraq would not be able to run for any office in Chicago...as a penalty for serving the country....and no one...Rahm, Veterans ...whatever should be deemed less a resident for serving the country.

There is an exemption for service members serving away from home.

THAT EXEMPTION IS JUST FOR VOTERS...NOT CANDIDATES ACCORDING TO THIS RULING.

That means returning service members could not run for office. I have read several articles on the ruling, if you know something different please provide a link.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Golf66

Originally posted by maybereal11Hopefully the IL Supreme court will overturn it. Not becuase I am a fan of Rahm's...but under this interpretation it would mean that returning vets from Afghanistan or Iraq would not be able to run for any office in Chicago...as a penalty for serving the country....and no one...Rahm, Veterans ...whatever should be deemed less a resident for serving the country. Just my opinion...politics and whether you like or hate Rahm etc. aside.

No, this is covered under the Soldiers and Sailors Relief Act;

This ruling was concerning the rules for eligibility to serve in political office....and according to this ruling a candidate must have been physically present in their dwelling for one year prior to running.

The SSRA you speak of just pertains to residency, not the rules regarding candidacy for office which Rahms ruling was based on.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   

From what I've seen of the candidates replies on the local news, they all seem to agree that Rahm is ineligible under the current law and they all discussed the possibility of changing it in the future, but will not impact next months election, and the law must be followed.

As to soldiers, that was one of the arguments in the appeal. The judge agreed that there was a significant difference between "dodging bombs in Iraq" and collecting a $170,000 salary from an appointed government position that you could leave/be fired from at any time.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join