It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The reality of underground bases

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by EarthCitizen07

Is this the nuclear tbm that digs tunnels?

Why would the air force have ITS OWN machine and a monopoly on those Los Alamos Patents

I think you can buy those technical papers from rand inc. at a fee. I HAVE NO INTEREST in HOW THEY WORK but everyone was doubting they exist and that they can work properly.
edit on 3/26/2012 by EarthCitizen07 because: (no reason given)

The Air Force doesn't own a TBM. The TBM in your pic is owned by the DOE. The pic is a publicity photo to commemorate the contract bid won by the Reynolds Electric Engineering Co to drill the tunnels for the USAF MX missile program in Nevada in 1983. The Reynolds Electric Engineering Co was the primary contractor for the Nevada Test Site. The TBM pictured is a 256 ton TBM made by The Robbins Corporation. As TBM's go, it not particularly big, and it sure as hell isn't "nuclear".

edit on 1-8-2012 by RKWWWW because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   
To those who say governments cant keep secrets, contractors and workers will talk, people would most certainly question thousands of tons of earth being moved, large vehicles going back and forth for years on end, loud noises heard continuosly, in other words all the sounds and logistics associated with building an underground shelter, I give you...the Greenbrier Bunker:
www.washingtonpost.com...

The year was 1960 and Randy Wickline was building something so immense and unnerving that he dared not ask what it was. All the Superior Supply Co. plant manager was told was that he was to haul concrete -- an endless river of concrete -- to be poured into the cavernous hole that had been excavated beside the posh Greenbrier hotel in White Sulphur Springs, W. Va. He remembers an urgency about the job, his supervisor hollering "hurry up," even instructing him to push the legal weight limit on his truckloads, and paying the fines that resulted. To keep up with the job, Superior Supply had to purchase two more concrete mixers, and still it was stretched thin. Over the next 2 1/2 years, Wickline estimates, the company hauled some 4,000 loads to the site and poured 50,000 tons of concrete into the abyss that scrapers, rippers and air hammers had carved out of the shale. Cost was never an issue.

A warren of rooms and corridors took shape where there had been a hill. The walls were two feet thick and reinforced with steel. Later, the entire structure was covered with a concrete roof and buried beneath 20 feet of dirt. At each entrance, cranes hung humongous steel doors, as if giants were to inhabit the underground structure. Soon thereafter, Wickline was told, "sensitive equipment" was moved into the facility. The door was locked. A guard was posted outside. No one had to tell Wickline that what he had helped build had something to do with the atomic bomb. "Nobody came out and said it was a bomb shelter," he says today, "but you could pretty well look and see the way they was setting it up there that they wasn't building it to keep the rain off of them. I mean a fool would have known. There would have been enough room to get a few dignitaries in there, but us poor folks would be left standing outside. It kind of made me think about it -- and hope it never happens."

For years, the work that Wickline and scores of other local builders undertook at the Greenbrier fueled speculation, but in time the memories dimmed and the rumors died. History took its course, and the generation that was defined by its anxiety over the Bomb began to see hope for a future free of mushroom clouds and radiation sickness.

But inside the hill, time stood still.

Now, more than three decades later, interviews with numerous current and former hotel employees and executives, contractors and former government officials, along with a review of private blueprints, drawings and photographs, have confirmed Randy Wickline's assumption, and more. What he helped build, it is now clear, was a haven for members of the U.S. Congress in the event of a nuclear war.

Unlike other government relocation centers, built mainly to house military and executive branch officials who would manage a nuclear crisis and its aftermath, the Greenbrier facility was custom-designed to meet the needs of a Congress-in-hiding, complete with a chamber for the Senate, a chamber for the House and a massive hall for joint sessions. Its discovery offers the first conclusive evidence that Congress as a whole was even included in government evacuation scenarios and given a role in postwar America. Today, the installation still stands at the ready, its operators still working under cover at the hotel -- a concrete-and-steel monument to the nuclear nightmare. The secrecy that has surrounded the site has shielded it both from public scrutiny and official reassessment, and may have allowed it to outlive the purpose for which it was conceived.

House Speaker Thomas Foley, one of the very few in Congress who has been briefed on the Greenbrier facility, declined to comment for this article. But former speaker Thomas P. "Tip" O'Neill says the evacuation plan always seemed "far-fetched" to him. "I never mentioned it to anybody," O'Neill recalls. "But every time I went down to the Greenbrier -- and I went there half a dozen times -- I always used to look at the hill and say, 'Well, that's where we're supposed to live in the event something happens, and that's where we're going to do business, maybe under the tennis courts.' "

This installation was built under the noses of a town and literally within a few feet of a 5 star resort.
Yeah, I am pretty sure they can build just about anything underground these days without anyone really paying attention.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by crawdad1914

Keep in mind please, Greenbrier was not a small bunker by any means but a fully operational and self sustaining 112,000 square foot complex.

All built under the resort, and with no one paying any real attention.

Thats a lot of earth moved, a huge construction team and loads lot of materials shipped in.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by crawdad1914

Keep in mind please, Greenbrier was not a small bunker by any means but a fully operational and self sustaining 112,000 square foot complex.

All built under the resort, and with no one paying any real attention.

Thats a lot of earth moved, a huge construction team and loads lot of materials shipped in.

Well I'm not sure how they concealed the construction as it looks to have been in plain view of the hotel.

www.greenbrier.com...

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   

You are aware I hope that the construction of the Greenbrier bunker was done in conjunction with other construction at the hotel. It was NOT, I repeat NOT, built in secrecy. You simply don't move that much dirt in a vacuum.

Further, I bet plenty of people figured out something was being built. This was an Eisenhower era project. No bloggers, no conspiracy websites. You notice something odd, just how many people can you tell about it back then?

I was checking the cost of the last borehole being done on the San Francisco bay area. Less than 4000ft and right now at $400million and counting. Anyone really believe we have intercontinental underground railroads?

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by cuckooold

Dulce had an earthquake swarm. Very common. This is not to be confused with aftershocks.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
The OP is just another clueless tard, just ignore those. Usually those who start such threads that I call 'scoffers' or 'pseudoskeptics' have no clue how something can be hidden under their noses. I mean, it's one thing to come and ask is there anythign but saying 'I doubt because I don't see one' bull#

I've never seen the inside of Cheyenne mountain, therefore it doesn't exist
I had no idea that there was a bunker beneath a hotel, therefore it doesn't exist

ja ja such ridiculous logic, seen it too many times to bother replying

HINT: There are no secret airplanes by the military because I've never seen any, and I've never seen any documents explaining their technology, therefore it doesn't exist (Sarcasm)

I cannot be sure there are any other documents about facilities but because I haven't seen them, they do not exist (Sarcasm)
edit on 2-8-2012 by Imtor because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by gariac

You are aware I hope that the construction of the Greenbrier bunker was done in conjunction with other construction at the hotel. It was NOT, I repeat NOT, built in secrecy. You simply don't move that much dirt in a vacuum.

Further, I bet plenty of people figured out something was being built. This was an Eisenhower era project. No bloggers, no conspiracy websites. You notice something odd, just how many people can you tell about it back then?

I was checking the cost of the last borehole being done on the San Francisco bay area. Less than 4000ft and right now at $400million and counting. Anyone really believe we have intercontinental underground railroads?

Of course there was other construction going on. The bunker, all 112,000 square feet was being built directly under the construction of the west wing of the hotel. That west wing construction provided the cover for the bunker itself.
Yes it was built in secrecy. The labor, the contractors, the owners of the property, certain members of the government that it was built to protect, and, who were aware of its construction all kept the secret for over the 30 years untill the washington post broke the story in 1992. And of course, the monies apropriated for the construction was never disclosed, and never questioned by the public. The cost to build something this massive and then maintain it for over 30 years had to have run into the billions (todays dollars)

You are correct, no bloggers back then but people would still talk, evidently the cover up was succesfull, when the story broke it was news, big news and it prompted the shutdown of the facility. So, as stated above of course it was built in secrecy, and it stayed a secret facility for many many years being maintained by a group of 12 people under cover of a bogus electrical/audio maintenance company set up by the government and paid for by tax dollars earmarked for something else entirely.

Your point about moving that much dirt in a vacuum is a fair one though, most anyone would question that amount of earth being moved if their was not a logical reason. I should have been more clear in that regard in my initial post. I would imagine that any construction of underground facilities today would be in natural cave formations, or using boring equipment that as others have theorized pulverizes the earth and fuses it into a hardened state to form the tunnel walls. Or the earth could be simply dispersed under the cover of a mining and or excavation facility. A lot can go on unnoticed out in the desert on government land. But of course, today, people are blogging about underground bases and tunnels, whistleblowers are coming forth , so information is more readily available to the public on this subject. Many will ignore the information, like many would have ignored the few who talked about the underground bunker at Greenbrier (if anyone did talk).

As to your referencing the cost of the borehole in SF yes the costs are huge using todays technology, but it is quite possible that they are not operating and digging using todays technology. Many will acknowleged technology disseminated into the markets and the general public is 20 to 30 years behind what is being used in secrecy, by our government. Possibly new technology, has lowered the costs and the manpower. Or maybe underground facilities are being finance by the seemingly unlimited black budget. It seems trillions of dollars has gone missing and unacounted for over the last few decades. I cant see cost being prohibitive in this regard.

Peace.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   

There is no "unlimited black budget." The DoD, laughable as it may seem, does try to spend its money wisely. (Sorry if I caused anyone to spew out their coffee in a fit of laughter.) They cancel projects all the time if deemed not cost effective. So to build interstate mag level train networks is quite dubious since they rather spend the money on other, more useful projects. (The US is not denied territory. The DoD moves whatever it feels like moving. Put it on a truck, cover with a tarp, end of story.)

Secret government projects are rarely about having a way to do something cheaply. If anything, the government projects are done to exceed commercial capabilities, generally at a higher cost. Even in that respect, the government has given up on out pacing commercial technology. (The NSA shut down its wafer fab.)

The Washington Post article clearly states there were rumors about the project. But alas, no abovetopsecret.com to post said rumors.

In the era of Google Earth, you can't leave piles of dirt in the desert. Further, you just don't dump dirt. It needs to be watered and compacted, hence "engineered." This takes time, people, and machinery. If you just dump dirt, you have a very noticeable dust hazard. Even the Yucca Lake AOF had an environmental review, though done without public comment, unless you consider the government funded DRI to be the public.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by gariac

The "Unlimited Black Budget" comment was an exageration, or maybe it was'nt considering the unacounted for Trillions over the last few decades. Surely the money would be available for building large underground facilities or other projects, it was available for Greenbrier. How much covert funding was funneled into the B-2 Stealth Bomber project or other Skunkwork projects over the years. We only find out about these military projects after the fact. Many did not take seriously the eyewitness reports of the B-2 sightings prior to the unveiling of this particular "black project" in 1988. The government of course denied its existence, perhaps there is something to these undergorund bases. Perhaps its simply another black budget program. I dont know for certain, nor do you if these facilities exist, I'm just saying there is precedence, and thus the possibility.

On "Google Earth" isn't government land and military installations generall blacked out and not viewable? This would explain the hiding of the dirt, assuming they are'nt simply using natural cave formations.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I remember back in the early 90s I went to an air show at Edwards AFB. The B2 had just finished it demonstration and was taxing to the far end of the runway. At first I thought the mirage from the heat on the horizon that it was an optical illusion when I saw the B2 slowly disappear. So I grabbed my binoculars to get a better look. Turns out it was no illusion. The B2 was being lowered into the ground on a giant lift. A lift big enough to handle a bomber or commercial aircraft. SO I can at least confirm that places like Edwards does have massive underground hanger complexes.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by zoso28

"Prove me wrong" is a typical response from someone who has no proof. It is an ignorant statement. One cannot prove a negative.

Originally poseted by zoso28

So PROOVE me wrong.

/thread.

God Bless,

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack
reply to post by dnvrliz

Yes, DIA is an underground facility for when TSHTF for the Elite/TPTB. As far as proof, I worked there, before and after it opened, so I know. Can I provide proof ? No, I cant, you will have to take my word for it. I don't care if you believe me or not, I know its true and that's all that matters. Most of the time you wont find anyone to come out and talk about these things because it is not safe. Soon though you will find out first hand if they really exist, until then you wont find any proof that will satisfy you. If someone posts pics here or says anything it will just be debunked anyway so why bother ?

If/when TSHTF all you guys close to DIA should rush the place with guns and take over the facility..
I'm not close enough but I would meet my maker with a smile on my face if I knew the Elite were stuck out on the tarmac..

Make me smile guys

edit on 23-1-2011 by backinblack because: (no reason given)

Us Denverites will be running as far away from DIA as we can that day!

It has two purposes and one of them is not where you want to be.

God Bless,
edit on 2-8-2012 by ElohimJD because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by plexus
reply to post by clay2 baraka

Great, maybe you can finally answer me.

Explain the engineering involved in sustaining such a device with the output of energy required to melt rock?

Otherwise, stop posting the same sh*t over and over again.

Has a cloud of aerosol vapor or something swept over continental U.S. in the last 24 hours or something.. people seem a) ignorant and b) high as a kite.

1. Earth drilling apparatus for drilling bore holes and tunnels in rock by melting a path for itself comprising an elongated hollow drill housing having a first hollow portion and a second hollow portion, a heat source supported in said first hollow portion having a temperature of not less than about 1,100° C, heat pipe chains for thermally coupling the heat source to the interior surface of the walls of the said second hollow portion, each of said heat pipes comprising a plurality of thermally coupled heat pipe sections, each of the heat pipe sections having an evaporator end and a condenser end, and being coupled with the condenser end of a preceding heat pipe being adjacent the evaporator end of the next succeeding heat pipe, the initial evaporator of each of the heat pipe chains is supported in close thermal contact with the heat source and the terminal condenser of each heat pipe chain is affixed in tight thermal conductive relation to the interior wall of the said second hollow portion, and propulsion means supported by the said first hollow portion for translating the drilling apparatus in the direction of elongation.

2. The apparatus of claim 1 in which the propulsion means is a double thruster bore hole lock-on mechanism and means for operating the double thruster comprising a source of hydraulic fluid under pressure and hydraulic rams supported in the drill housing first portion.

3. The apparatus of claim 1 in which the walls of the housing second portion converge toward the forward end whereby molten rock is distributed laterally against the bore hole walls to in situ form a vitreous casing thereon.

4. The apparatus of claim 1 in which the propulsion means is a drill pipe stem made up of standard drill pipe segments and having a length coextensive with the bore hole plus one additional pipe segment or a portion thereof, said drill pipe stem being connected at one end to the rearward end of the drill housing first section and extending out of the bore hole at its other end, whereby said drill stem is adapted to forcefully urge the rock drill forward by its own weight and by force applied to said other end.

5. The apparatus of claim 4 in which the walls of the heat source and drill first section are water cooled, water transmission means, hydraulic pressure hoses and electrical power transmitting conductors being housed and supported in the drill stem.

6. The apparatus of claim 5 in combination with a surface facility, said surface facility comprising electrical generating means, electrical signaling means, water coolant storage and pumping means and vertical force generating means, electrical conducting means connecting the electrical generating means to the electrical power transmitting conductors, coupling means for coupling the signaling means to the rock drill, and hoses connected between the coolant pumping and storage means and the rock drill water transmission means for circulating water through the heat source armor and drill body first section for cooling the same and conveying the heat thereby obtained to the surface facility.

Description:The invention described herein was made in the course of, or under, a contract with the U. S. ATOMIC ENERGY COMMISSION. It relates generally to a method and apparatus for drilling, tunneling and shaft-sinking in rock with particular advantage at hitherto inaccessible depths.

This invention provides a rapid versatile economical method of deep-earth excavation, tunneling and shaft-sinking which offers solutions to ecological problems, acquiring natural resources presently inaccessible and access to an enormous reservoir of natural heat energy. These valuable subterranean sources include natural minerals and hydrocarbons, fresh water and clean geothermal heat energy.

It is a prime objective of the present invention to provide an apparatus and method for drilling tunnels or bore holes in rock of a size and/or depth which exceeds prior art methods.

www.freepatentsonline.com...

God Bless,

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by pezza

Originally posted by gariac

Even if you melt rock, it has to go somewhere. We are not talking about vaporizing rock, and even if we were, you have to get rid of the vapor.

yep, some more questions along the lines of that theme;

* where does the vapour recondense to liquid?
*where does that liquid resolidify?
*what is the particle size of the resolidfied matter for a variety of rock types?
* how is the resolidfied matter moved? pneumatic transport?, as a slurry?
* maybe there is no loose by-product, is it deposited into the wall of this lava tube like wall? If so, a sample of said wall could be the smoking gun to support the DUMBS existance. There it is, proof in a nutshell, just add water and mix

i could add more here. Hard to take the mining engineer out of me

Read the patient every question you are asking is explained in that document, and your last comment is pretty close to 100% correct, whether it works or not is the actual question, but the explinations are all very easy to find if you want to know the science behind the patent.

God Bless,

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by ElohimJD

I have seen that information before, possibly in Sauder's books but had forgotten. Thanks for posting it!

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by BASSPLYR

Very doubtful. Just about everybody knows someone that works at KEDW. If there is a huge cavernous underground bunker, we would hear about it.

Putting a hot aircraft into an enclosed area is always risky. It can set off fire suppression gear. Better to let it cool then tow the aircraft into the hangar.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
It wasn't right after landing. it had been on the ground for at least a half hour. It taxied over to the far end and I could see guys walking around it as it appeared to be lowering into the ground on a giant lift. At first I thought it was an illusion with the heat mirage or it was just sorta disappearing behind the horizon but it was being lowered into something. I assumed it was a underground hangar.

Garic you know more about this stuff than I do. What could it have possibly been lowered into. Cause it was getting lowered into something.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by BASSPLYR

The B-2 is a $2 billion dollar asset that weighs like 300k lbs. You wouldn't lower it into anything, if only not to risk getting it stuck and looking stupid.

They can lower aircraft beneath desk on carriers, but that wouldn't apply to the B-2.

Other than a hardened shelter to be nuke resistant, there is no need to go underground. It adds expense with no advantages.

Missions/projects change. Time marches on. Better to put the hangar above ground, do your project, then tear it down when the time comes. A hole in the ground tends to be a hole in the ground forever. Worse yet, they flood. I've talked to the folk restoring an old Nike site. Underground anything is a heap of work.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Sorry to disappoint, BASSPLYR, but there are know underground hangars at Edwards. I have been around Edwards in one capacity or another since 1977, and have seen more parts of the base than most people. The only subterranean facilities I have seen are at the rocket test site east of Rogers Dry Lake. There are a couple of missile silos built for tethered ICBM launches (when the missile reached the end of the cable, it was destroyed), a water drainage pit below the vertical vacuum chamber (one of two such chambers that simulate the space environment during engine firings), and a set of tunnels and rooms deep within Leuhman Ridge that served as a fallout shelter (I have been all through this one).

The B-2 is housed in some very conventional hangars at the Edwards South Base complex. To get there from the main runway, the B-2 must follow various taxiways. This provides ample opportunities for an optical illusion of a disappearing aircraft. The ground at Edwards is not nearly as flat is it looks. There are hills and dips that are imperceptible to the eye. Even the main runway at Edwards is not perfectly flat. That has always been an issue when determining the best spots for photographers to set up in anticipation of a space shuttle landing or other flight event.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join