It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mental Disorders: Corporate creation?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   

* Acute stress disorder
* Adjustment disorder
* Adolescent antisocial behavior
* Adult antisocial behavior
* Adverse effects of medication-not otherwise specified
* Age-related cognitive decline
* Agoraphobia
* Agoraphobia without history of panic disorder
* Alcohol-related disorder
* Alzheimers
* Amnestic disorder
* Amphetamine (or amphetamine-like)-related disorder
* Anorexia nervosa
* Antisocial personality disorder
* Anxiety disorder
* Anxiolytic-related disorder
* Asperger syndrome
* Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder
* Atypical autism
* Autistic disorder
* Autophagia
* Avoidant personality disorder
* Bereavement
* Bibliomania
* Binge eating disorder
* Bipolar disorder
* Body dysmorphic disorder
* Borderline intellectual functioning
* Borderline personality disorder
* Breathing-related sleep disorder
* Brief psychotic disorder
* Bulimia nervosa
* Caffeine-related disorder
* Cannabis-related disorder
* Catatonic disorder
* Catatonic Schizophrenia
* Childhood antisocial behavior
* Childhood Disintegrative Disorder
* Chronic motor or vocal tic disorder
* Circadian rhythm sleep disorder
* Clinical Depression
* Cocaine-related disorder
* Cognitive disorder
* Communication disorder
* Conduct disorder
* Conversion disorder
* Eating disorder not otherwise specified

Some of these are factual medical disorders. Most are basically groupings of different states of emotions, given a distinct name.

I.e:

Clinical Depression:

Clinical depression is a mental disorder characterized by an all-encompassing low mood accompanied by low self-esteem, and by loss of interest or pleasure in normally enjoyable activities.

Most of these "mental disorders" are just excuses to sell more medication, and perform more costly therapedic procedures on patients:

Typically, patients are treated with antidepressant medication and, in many cases, also receive psychotherapy or counseling although the effectiveness of medication for mild or moderate cases is questionable.

So my question to you ATS, is what do you think?
I personally feel that mental disorders, different from mental illness, is a completely made-up concept used to benefit from the populace. I sometimes think that mental disorders, are what happens when corporate America has thrown us into this mental pool of whats - needs, and having us fight each other just to get the latest ipod.

Source: DSM and ICD Mental disorders and illnesses
edit on 1-1-2011 by mr10k because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Very much plausible. I feel almost all diseases are created in labs to kill the populace until, "miraculously" a vaccine is found.
It's kind of like this South Park episode I saw once: "Stolen Underwear-Storage-Profit???"
But instead: "Man-made Disease-Cure-Profit?"
It's kind of like, what's it called, when you think you have a disease you don't have?

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
More...

More than 25 percent of children now on chronic prescription medications

The rate of prescription drug use among children and teens continues to rise, with a new report from Medco Health Solutions Inc. saying that at least a quarter of all U.S. children are now regularly taking pharmaceutical drugs. And according to the report, many of these drugs were originally intended for adults, and carry with them unknown side effects for long-term use in young people.

The Wall Street Journal (WSJ) reports that in addition to taking drugs for conditions like attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and asthma, children are now taking things like sleeping pills, diabetes drugs and even statin drugs, which are typically only prescribed for adults. The report cites an eight-year-old boy, for example, who has been taking blood pressure medications since he was a baby.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I'm personally of the opinion that the entire psychological premise of defining and labeling human behavior as a series of maladies is an infantile attempt to explain the human condition.

As soon as the Psychiatric/Pyschological community "grows up a bit" and removes itself from the idea that there is such a thing as a "normal" state of being...we might see some genuine progress.

As it stands now, they're labeling everything that doesn't suit societies mold in regards to "acceptable" manifestations of consciousness - (i.e. anything that isn't easily understood and able to be controlled).

The field has never been considered a hard science to begin with, but the amount of influence it holds over the mindset of Modern Man is a dangerous precept, if not balanced with a genuine attempt to understand, help, and compensate on all fronts of a person who is experiencing difficulty adjusting to the world around them.

It's a big mess out there - we definitely need some new ideas and new perspectives in the field to help offset the idea that everyone who doesn't fit the desired mold should be medicated into oblivion.

Sadly, too many in the industry as it stands prefer the lazy and profitable "quick fix".

edit on 1/1/11 by GENERAL EYES because: formatting

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
No, in general, I don't believe they are made up. I'm not familiar with every item on that list, but I know a fair few of them. I know that the likes of the personality disorders listed there, the eating disorders, autism, clinical depression and several others are very severe and have a huge impact on a sufferers life.

Admittedly, it's hard to imagine a starving African with ADHD, or a Victorian woman with anorexia, but these issues are still very real in our society. The fact that we have such a large percentage of the population with disorders such as those in the list when comparing to either the past or currently in developing countries could be due to a variety of circumstances. For example, speculation here, but chemicals now in food causing imbalances in the brain. One very real cause is our capitalist society and the unescapable tentacles of the media- daily we are bombarded with images of how we look, programs depicting perfect families and how we should live our lives. There is often no escaping these things for children and adolescents, and this is where we are at our most impressionable.

Yes, a lot of these disorders do start as a train of thought. However, once you get into a set way of thinking, it's incredibly hard to break out of it. Personality disorders, for example, often start as simple childhood defence mechanisms- these mechanisms soon grow to become crutches, this then escalates until they become the entire basis by which you live your life- a self-fulfilling prophecy, of sorts. Believe me, if you have lived your life with a set way of thinking for several years, it is next to impossible to break out of. In fact, I was reading that certain psychologists are starting to believe personality disorders are incurable and are down to chemical imbalances in the brain- as of yet we don't have the technology to "re-balance" these chemicals.

I agree that children are over-analysed mentally too young now, especially in America. I know the majority of drugs they prescribe often do more harm than good, given that the side effects can often be worse than the original symptons. CBT would perhaps be a better option, although that is often ineffective to those who have suffered for a longer while.

I believe psychology as a field in general has a lot to learn, there is a lot we still don't know and this lack of knowledge is often causing these issues to grow. Nevertheless, a lot of these problems are very real and ruin a lot of lives.

edit on 1-1-2011 by ScepticalBeliever because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by mr10k

I am a Psych. grad student and I think that DSM is a load of crap.

I am totally against it, but if we were to think of this in real time terms.
Look at the number of students graduating with degrees in Psychology.

The only way for a shrink to get paid is to make a diagnosis.
And dispense meds.

That is why the diagnoses always change.
As do the dosage and the type of meds.

It's all about the money.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Understanding the brain and human experience is a highly complex field. Like most sciences, psychology has a reductionist paradigm just to see what it is working with. There are some indications that pressure from drug companies are leading to over medication, in other cases drugs do make a big difference to the quality of life for some patients. It is technical and there are many ways to understand and work with behavioural and mental problems. Like the other sciences, let the debates flow and put the ignorance in it's proper place.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by kwakakev

I will wholly agree that medication is both under prescribed and over prescribed.

I have met people who are truly delusional and most definitely need to be on medication but are unable because of $$$$$..
That is another topic that bothers me...
But let's discuss something else.
The difference between delusional and hallucinating.

Hallucinations are false experiences that the individual knows is false; where delusions are hallucinations where the person is not aware that they are delusional.

Delusional people need to be medicated.
People who hallucinate are often misunderstood and unnecessarily medicated.

Hallucinations, depression, and anxiety can all be manifest by outside circumstances.
As a matter of fact television is probably responsible for more anxiety and depression and elation and catharsis than any one thing on the planet.

The science of psychology would do its greatest deed by ridding the world of the propaganda media matrix that surrounds us like a fish in water.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by ScepticalBeliever

Yes, they are very severe. Ones' mental growth can be halted with these kinds of phsycological disorders. But does how one feels justify the use of harmful drugs to make that person "normal"?

We all know that autism is a mental illness. Not a disorder. The disorder I mean is:

, a psychological or behavioral pattern associated with distress or disability that occurs in an individual and is not a part of normal development or culture

So, in this context, what is normal? The corporates create the "normal" epicenter of any culture. Everything that is "normal" is decided by the big money heads. What is in style now? Polo,( and not just any polo, Ralph Lauren), Iphones, Graphic Tees, Laptops, and watching feeble TVshows like Jersey Shore. Sometimes, not doing these things might cause others to question whether or not you are normal.

i got this idea when my friend surprised me one day saying he though he had "Borderline personality Disorder because he had some of the symptoms and fell in line with the causes:

Borderline personality disorder is a condition in which a person makes impulsive actions, and has an unstable mood and chaotic relationships.

Risk factors for BPD include:

* Abandonment in childhood or adolescence
* Disrupted family life
* Poor communication in the family
* Sexual abuse

He said he thought he had it because he doesn't communicate much with his dad, and he and his mom barely ever talk. I tried to tell him to shut up, but he insisted that he had it. Yes, a person whose father lives 4 hours away, and occasionally asks his mother to buy things for him thinks he has a disrupted family life. I then yelled at him saying that half the people I know, including myself, are missing a parent, or their parents are divorced. I tried to tell him how lucky it was to have a dad, that you can go to 4 hours away, but he persisted that I simply don't have the disorder, and started to troll by saying how not everyone is exactly the same. I got fed up.

I simply think that when saying one has "depression, abandonment as a child, and/or Poor communication" doesn't opt to give that person many unnecessary drugs and phsycological "treatment". I think it is jjust to get more money, or to just get more poison out into the world.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Hallucinations, depression, and anxiety can all be manifest by outside circumstances.
As a matter of fact television is probably responsible for more anxiety and depression and elation and catharsis than any one thing on the planet.

The science of psychology would do its greatest deed by ridding the world of the propaganda media matrix that surrounds us like a fish in water.

That is a perfect quote to sum it all up. The world would do good to rid us of all this propaganda to throw us into an ignorant pit of wants/needs.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
If you think it is just a label, then you obviously have never dealt with someone who actually sufferes from these disorders. I can tell you from vast personal experience, that something is quite wrong. There is no making it up, and no one is making that person dsyfunctional, except maybe chemicals in the environment.
someone is labeled as having a disorder when the condition is to the point of interrupting life. They can't keep a relationship, job, marriage, etc.
These conditions have always been around, they are only now being recongized and treated. Previously, they ended up in the nuthouse, or prison. The majority of prisoners now suffer mental illness.
The only problem now is that if a doctor doesn't know how to treat someone, or the cause of their state, they use them sometimes as a wastebasket diagnosis. Your extremely shy, so you must have aspbergers.
But as for non existence all together, I can tell you they are very real. And I hope, while you are walking around with your head in the sand, that you never have to personaly deal with the horrors of a loved one having a mental illness.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by mr10k

It only takes one emotionally absent parent to induce mental illness if it is a dorman gene. both parents can even live with you, but if one is emotionally absent, that can cause problems.
Humans are designed to be raised by two parents, they are designed to be raised by entire families, in a village setting, not to be raised by a solitary person.

The opposite can be said, most people come from broken homes, so that may be inducing the rise in mental illness. It has been becoming increasingly apparent that the role of the father in a child's life is extremely important. Not that the mother is any less important, but the effects of an emotionally absent or altogether absent parent has profound repercussions.

So yes, just because someone HAS a father, doesn't make them the father that is needed or a great dad.

in fact, I find most dysfunction comes from military families, where the father is strict and emotionally absent. They are there, but they are not a nurturing athority figure needed, and those kids end up with a lot of issues.Nothing like having a father figure around that never validates your existence.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by mr10k

Yes, they are very severe. Ones' mental growth can be halted with these kinds of phsycological disorders. But does how one feels justify the use of harmful drugs to make that person "normal"?

We all know that autism is a mental illness. Not a disorder.

No.

We don't all know that. First glance finds your statement obtuse and uninformed; however, perhaps I misunderstand. Please clarify.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Iamonlyhuman
More...

More than 25 percent of children now on chronic prescription medications

The rate of prescription drug use among children and teens continues to rise, with a new report from Medco Health Solutions Inc. saying that at least a quarter of all U.S. children are now regularly taking pharmaceutical drugs. And according to the report, many of these drugs were originally intended for adults, and carry with them unknown side effects for long-term use in young people.

The Wall Street Journal (WSJ) reports that in addition to taking drugs for conditions like attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and asthma, children are now taking things like sleeping pills, diabetes drugs and even statin drugs, which are typically only prescribed for adults. The report cites an eight-year-old boy, for example, who has been taking blood pressure medications since he was a baby.

I have a 3 year with some problems. I took him to a pediatric neuro-psych on the advice of our family doctor. It didn't take 15 minutes for her to write a script (and diagnose him with Asperger's which I don't buy either.) for an anti-psychotic drug. My answer to that? Absolutely not happening. I was shocked. Needless to say, we will not be going to the follow up appointment. The kid has some issues but therapy is working, why on earth would we drug him? I am amazed at the statistics. How can people do this to their kids?

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

I don't contradict the fact that a very minority of people have actual organic dysfunctions that cause them to be labeled and about 1% or even as low as .05% of the population, my opinion from looking at the prevalence rates of dysfunctions, actually need medication.

But the prison thing is no different than what Karen Horney first noted as the "vicious circle".

Violent prisoners are the most likely to have some type of organic dysfunction that causes them to need medication, I do not disagree with medicating violent outbursts, either against another or the self; however....
The prison industrial complex is responsible for the CREATION of massive depression and anxiety.
And this usually sits on the shoulders of those who were trying to alleviate the depression associated with childhood abuse by self medicating with illegal narcotics.

The situation is much more responsible than the individual. Individual's react and are shaped.
To a degree people are born with an innate personality, just as was shown by the Mary Ainsworth studies.
But who we are is a result of the environment that we were exposed to in childhood.
Freud and Erickson theorized this and Jean Piaget proved it.
I will say that I am 100% (well more like 95%) Behaviorist in my approach to Psychology.
But that is because ALL of the empirical evidence backs the Behaviorist approach, with the exception of the developmental side of Psychology and Jean Piaget.

The Pharma/Psychological medical model paradigm is like throwing a bandaid on wound, but then realizing that you can get paid for having wounds with bandages.
So the object then becomes to create more wounds to put on more bandages in order to make more money.

It's the vicious circle.
edit on 1/2/2011 by Josephus23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by daryllyn

I would seriously get your child tested for heavy metals.
In my opinion this should be done before any type of Axis I or Axis II diagnosis is made.

The doctor that you are seeing is not ethical, but most are not.
They only get paid when they make a diagnosis, which requires them to then prescribe meds.
This is the way the LAW works in the medical model regarding HMO's and health care plans.

Heavy metal toxicity in children is NEVER looked at, but it could be an Axis III diagnosis that should be cured by actual medication, or the cleansing of toxins.
NOT HEAD MEDS.

Good for you for standing up for your kid.
They do not have the ability to rationalize.
Hell, people don't have the ability to truly rationalize in abstract thought until they reach their mid 20's or up to 30.

I would suggest looking at this site about heavy metal toxicity.

If this sounds like its your child, then for sure get them tested.
Filter the water in your house and talk to a pediatrician who is realistic about immunizations.
They are not totally bogus, but they are overused for monetary gain as well.
edit on 1/2/2011 by Josephus23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
If you think it is just a label, then you obviously have never dealt with someone who actually sufferes from these disorders. I can tell you from vast personal experience, that something is quite wrong. There is no making it up, and no one is making that person dsyfunctional, except maybe chemicals in the environment.
someone is labeled as having a disorder when the condition is to the point of interrupting life. They can't keep a relationship, job, marriage, etc.
These conditions have always been around, they are only now being recongized and treated. Previously, they ended up in the nuthouse, or prison. The majority of prisoners now suffer mental illness.
The only problem now is that if a doctor doesn't know how to treat someone, or the cause of their state, they use them sometimes as a wastebasket diagnosis. Your extremely shy, so you must have aspbergers.
But as for non existence all together, I can tell you they are very real. And I hope, while you are walking around with your head in the sand, that you never have to personaly deal with the horrors of a loved one having a mental illness.

I think some of you are failing to understand I am not reffering to neurological mental diseases, but phsycological mental disorders, diagnosed by a psychiatrist and/or doctor. I do have experience with mental disorder patients, seeing as my cousin was diagnosed with Bipolar disorder, and has to take medication. Trying to link mania to a gene is absurd.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by redhorse

We all know that autism is a mental illness. Not a disorder.

No.

We don't all know that. First glance finds your statement obtuse and uninformed; however, perhaps I misunderstand. Please clarify.

i suppose I should.

I agree with the theory that autism is caused by genes, seeing as how it also is shown to impair neurons in the brain, which is why I classify it as a mental illness.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
reply to post by mr10k

It only takes one emotionally absent parent to induce mental illness if it is a dorman gene. both parents can even live with you, but if one is emotionally absent, that can cause problems.
Humans are designed to be raised by two parents, they are designed to be raised by entire families, in a village setting, not to be raised by a solitary person.

The opposite can be said, most people come from broken homes, so that may be inducing the rise in mental illness. It has been becoming increasingly apparent that the role of the father in a child's life is extremely important. Not that the mother is any less important, but the effects of an emotionally absent or altogether absent parent has profound repercussions.

So yes, just because someone HAS a father, doesn't make them the father that is needed or a great dad.

in fact, I find most dysfunction comes from military families, where the father is strict and emotionally absent. They are there, but they are not a nurturing athority figure needed, and those kids end up with a lot of issues.Nothing like having a father figure around that never validates your existence.

But this cannot be said for families with a Bigger Brother figure. A protector, that fills the place of a father while not being a father at the same time. Yes, in families where the father figure is missing, it can happen. But he always had his father. He talks to him from time to time. He visits him for the summer. So emotionally, his father IS there. I understand the man enough to know that the father he has is the father he wants. I don't have a father figure. No one to look up to. But I think the balance with that is that I AM a father figure. I am the oldest son, so I have a strong urge to be a protector to both my sister, and brother, both considerably younger, with my brother slipping into the ignorance facade.

I loathe my cousin for introducing him to cigarettes and theft. Trying to pull him over to the ignorant side where all you care about is the newest ringtone, or spending all your hard earned cash onto one pair of shoes, just to impress your friends. All my hop is lost for him, but I still stay mentally and physically fit so that if SHTF, I can ALWAYS protect my sister, and my mother's time is near.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   

i suppose I should.

I agree with the theory that autism is caused by genes, seeing as how it also is shown to impair neurons in the brain, which is why I classify it as a mental illness.

Very eloquently stated.

I think that autism is caused by genes in some cases, but it has been proven that people with a genetic predisposition for being unable to process heavy metals effectively mimic the symptoms of ASD.

Once again, environment rears its ugly head.

I think that most Americans are too busy burying their head in the sand to realize how bad we have screwed things up in this country.
We do not, as a country, have the best medical facilities around.
That is an urban myth.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join