It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

After tripling tuitions, UK may ban student marches

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 04:02 AM
link   

After tripling tuitions, UK may ban student marches

www.rawstory.com

London's top police officer says he is considering banning student marches in the wake of violent flare-ups at protests opposing a massive increase in university tuition fees.

The move has prompted some observers to declare that Britain may be headed towards "martial law" as police push back against angry youth who find they can no longer afford an education, at a time when jobs openings are rare.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 04:02 AM
link   

Speaking about a possible ban on marches, Metropolitan Police Commissioner Sir Paul Stephenson said "it is one of the tactics we will look at and something we will keep under review, and if we think it is the right thing to do then we will do it."

This story becomes even more frightening if you believe what Infowars Alex Jones has to say on the subject. He claims that if this does occur the United Kingdom will be placed under de facto martial law.

www.infowars.com...

UK police chief Sir Paul Stephenson is considering whether to ask the British government to ban protest marches altogether in response to last week’s student riots, a move that would place Britain under a de facto state of martial law.

MARTIAL LAW definition:

the control and policing of a civilian population by military forces and according to military rules, imposed, e.g. in wartime or when the civilian government no longer functions

Now I am no expert on the subject of martial law or how the system works over in the United Kingdom but if they ban student protests what happens when they do protest? Which they obviously will. Does the military get sent in to handle them? I have no idea how this operates.

Add to that a story from The Guardian stating that 100,000 public sector jobs are going to be cut after Christmas which will obviously mean massive protests early next year by the Trade Unions, Labor Unions, and disgruntled unemployed Brits.

And on February 5, 2011 the EDL will hold a large protest in Lutton titled “Back to where it all began”. So early next year could lead to massive upheaval in the United Kingdom.

'Martial Law UK' tops google following protest ban

Following a decision in the UK to ban protesting, the term “Martial Law UK” has gone viral, reaching #1 on Google’s Trends this Wednesday, December 15, 2010.

Please my British friends stay safe.

www.rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 12/16/2010 by Misoir because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 04:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

UK is a totalitarian state, you will see its true colors once people actually voice their concerns.

What else can I really say? Democracy is dictatorship at its best.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 04:14 AM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

How is Democracy a dictatorship? A Democratic Republic is the only form of government that abides by the Social Contract and offers real freedom to its citizens. Great Britain has democracy but they also have a screwed up government same as here in the US and in the rest of Europe and the world.

Democracy is not the problem, democracy is the answer.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 04:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir

However real democracy is not what is in place in most leading nations; it is called democracy because that is the ideal, and most people are conditioned to not know any better.

Democracy is not having a two-party system with virtually the same goals and policies, this is just a sham. This is plutocracy, because the two parties have the most influence, money and play in elite society and the media to dominate over other parties. This system is in place in countries like Canada, USA, UK, etc etc.

It is not the people's right to choose their countries direction anymore; it is now the people's right to vote for the most popular party leader of the same political game as his top rivals.

Want to know where democracy exists? In communism. Communism (even the practiced varieties) require leadership on all levels (except the top) to be democratic and in the interest of the people. This is a principal of communism.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 04:28 AM
link   

reply to post by oozyism

How is Democracy a dictatorship? A Democratic Republic is the only form of government that abides by the Social Contract and offers real freedom to its citizens. Great Britain has democracy but they also have a screwed up government same as here in the US and in the rest of Europe and the world.

Depends what you mean by Democracy.

Democracy is based on majority minority.

People are forced to choose representatives.

Those representatives can easily be controlled, through those representatives a whole group of people can be easily controlled. Groups of people being controlled by single candidate is the best idea which has ever been invented. Have you noticed how almost all politicians talk alot, but when it comes to it, they refuse to uphold any of their promises? Think about UK, the new leader promised cuts regarding tuition fees, instead it tripled it. Why do you think they are so pissed off?

In the above sense, Democracy is the best form of dictatorship, because it allows the actual ruler to easily control the population with justification.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 04:33 AM
link   
This will not keep them of the streets, im in a British Expad school and i know alot of people over in UK, and i know for a fact that they no matter what the government say, see it as their ultimate freedom to speak out and say what they have to say no matter how many cops are in their way. Isn't it funny, the 2005 elections the turnout was 65.1 and the Government claim to be trying to increase voter turnout and political awareness, yet when the youth (which are the main non voters) start becoming politically active, the government bash down on them

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 04:33 AM
link   

reply to post by oozyism

... Great Britain has democracy but they also have a screwed up government same as here in the US and in the rest of Europe and the world.

Germany in 1933 also had a democracy, and a 'screwed up government'. If we learnt anything from history is that it's better to stop them early.

I still remember the recent water cannon discussions in London. We had a lot of water cannon in my home country, and it was when we lived under a fascist state. We also had forbidden student marches. We also had the occasional guy dying when marching in protest. And we also had people detained and sent to a far away island for no obvious reason. Recognize any of the above?

We even had elections! Funny how the same party always won...

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 04:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Interesting, but functionaly impossible to police. Banning a student march is all very well, but in the comming year it will be the students and the unions in dual protests, spanning the nation, and comprising of numbers hitherto unseen for decades in our nations streets.
If however this ban were to be enforced, then it would not be the military as such who would deal with it, but the police force of course. There are no circumstances in which the military could be called to action against the people of this nation, short of to battle a fascist uprising (we real Britons dont hold Nazis or anything like them in the same regard with which we veiw decent people). However, the police tactic would likely change drasticaly, the use of tear gas, and water cannon for instance, as well as a larger involvement of mounted police, riot squads, and rubber bullets, tazer rounds, bean bag rounds, and so on from the armed division.
Also, stop and search powers would be increased, probably resulting in a ten fold increase of completely unjustifiable searches on innocent citizens.
Whatever tactics are used however, the government will find, as did the Thatcher government of the 80's that there are no tactics, short of murdering every single free person in the country, which will stop the people from voicing thier disgust at the destruction of our way of life, our ability to gain employment, retain employment, and gain an education in a fair and unbiased manner.
In short, regardless of rubber rounds, batons, riot police and so on, the sheer wieght of people, the brute anger foisted upon the population cannot be battled by the powers that be. This will be one of those times where the government are reminded that they are our employees, and that they have no right to call us to account for the results of thier treachery .

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 04:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBrit
reply to post by Misoir

... There are no circumstances in which the military could be called to action against the people of this nation, ...

Tell that to the Northern Irish. They still probably remember the paratroopers.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 04:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

It won't stop the protests or protesters.. from what I understand it is not protests that will be banned but the marches, and it won't stop the marches either.. it is traditional for protesters to march on London to air their grievances.. even on pain of death they marched.

A fair number of times unarmed protesters have been met and gone toe-to-toe with the British Army armed with artillery and still they marched... I really don't feel the situation will change.. this is a desperate tactic by a failing government.. one that needs to be brought up to speed with the will of the people.

That said, it is going to be interesting times ahead.. But as a parent I do worry for my son and his friends who are protesting and protecting their future as we did in my youth, I wish them luck and godspede.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 04:44 AM
link   
reply to post by jmlima

And of course that was a terrorism issue, and again not about democracy, but about extreme violence on both sides, with the use of explosives and weapons involved, and thusly requiring a concerted army presence.
Nothing , in short, like the civilian uprising, which aside from random objects found at the scene of a protest, is always less well armed than the constabulary !
The comparison is utterly invalid.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 04:52 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

So tell us, what passes for the definition of a terrorism and of extreme violence these days?

You will see that the definition is conveniently altered by govs accordingly with the circunstances. What will you think happen if the protests reach the scale of what recently happened in Rome?

Each to it's own, we are all free to believe in what we want.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by jmlima
reply to post by TrueBrit

So tell us, what passes for the definition of a terrorism

oozy: "Ohh pick me, pick me", [oozy raises hand eagerly].

Bush: "OK son, you can answer."

oozy: "is it big beards, turbans and a long robe"?

Bush: "DuuuuH"

----------

Sorry, had to pull that out of my AZZ.
edit on 16-12-2010 by oozyism because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 05:14 AM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

I see you are again conjuring up your own unique interpretations and meanings for words in the English language to suit your biased and bigoted anti-UK / US agenda.

Democracy is not a dictatorship.
dictionary.reference.com...
dictionary.reference.com...

Even you must accept that there is a massive difference.

And whilst I accept that the UK electoral and Parliamentary procedures are far from perfect, (I frequently have been known to voice my concerns about the current procedures and highlight the need for radical reform handing control and accountaility over to the electorate), contrary to what many would have you believe we are NOT living in a dictatorship just yet.

Even in the unlkely event that they do try to ban marches, protests will go ahead.
People have tried before to take away our right to protest and all failed miserably, some paid the ultimate price.
We are ruthlessly efficient when pushed too far or our backs are against the wall, as many have found out to their cost throughout the years.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Democracy, capitalism and secularism....is a total farce.

You will see the true face of these systems once you question them.

In UK they say we have freedom of speech, human rights bla de bla.....

Yes i agree we do, but our 'free' opinions or speech are limited in a way that we can't change anything.More than 80% of Britains were against the Iraq war yet the government still wen't ahead with the illegal war.

It's the government that makes the policies and capitalists decide what policies the government will establish which best suits them.So in other words the capitalists AKA Bankers are the final decision makers.

A person who earns £100 in UK will only get to keep £35 in his/her pocket once all the government taxes and expense taxes i.e fuel gets taken out.Soon the VAT will be raised from 17.5% to 20%.

And you know who pays the real price? It's the hard working middle class and lower middle class people who are trying to make ends meet.While the banksters continue to enjoy their multi-million pounds bonuses and the millionaires and billionaires dodging taxes using sinister methods.Prime examples are people like Sir Phillip Green (Jewish), Goldmansachs (jewish).

Who owns Britain? Biggest landowners agree to reveal scale of holdings By Robert Verkaik, Law Editor Monday,

A complete picture of who owns modern Britain is to be created as part of the biggest survey of land ownership since William the Conqueror commissioned the Domesday Book nearly a thousand years ago. But the task is enormous as 40 per cent of land in England and Wales has not been registered by its owners. More than half of all rural land and rural buildings are unregistered. Under the ambitious scheme sponsored by the Government, some of the country's oldest and most secretive families are to reveal the full scale of their private estates. The Queen and the Prince of Wales are among the biggest landowners who are co-operating with the Land Registry's attempt to plot every acre of land in England and Wales. English aristocratic families, including those of the Duke of Norfolk and the Duke of Bedford, who between them own 70,000 acres in the Home Counties, are also believed to have given details of their land ownership. Ministers have given officers for the Land Registry permission to consult on tightening the rules for compulsory registration, which they hope will lead to all land in England and Wales being registered.

The independant

Only 4-5% of the total British population are in control of these huge assets and capital.While the rest of us live in cardboard boxes getting taxed to the hilt.

During the recent student protests the Royals were attacked.The ever caring sympathasing Royals decided to go watch a thearetical show right around the corner from where thousands of students were protesting over their debt filled futures.Just goes to show how much these elites care about us normal folks?

And the media? What can i say? Or shall we ask who actually owns the media? In UK it's mostly owned by people likes James Murdoch coincidently a Jew.

While the focus of the masses is deliberately aimed towards the immigrants, Islam, terrorism etc, etc for all the problems.

And you know what? The masses won't question whose actually responsible for opening the doors to ISlam or immigrants even though they love to blame them.

Europe seems to be going down the s*** hole rapidly with the mountain of debt.Once all the nations go totally broke, the EU will establish it's iron fist rule with policies being made in brussels.And no one will be able to question the EU because every nation will turn into a frikkin debt slave.

edit on 16-12-2010 by Doujutsu because: grammer error

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by oozyism
reply to post by Misoir

UK is a totalitarian state, you will see its true colors once people actually voice their concerns.

What else can I really say? Democracy is dictatorship at its best.

I would like to disagree with you but you state the truth my freind.

They want to deliberately ban marches using the students excuse so that no one in future can march and stand up against the totalitarian state.

Soon they will ban the internet using wikileaks as an excuse.

They just want to turn us into robots that serves them best.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Doujutsu

I understand (for whatever reason) you have a negative view of the country, but I hold to the notion that we are in a similar transition phase the nation saw in the 1810-1850 era (Luddites, Swing, Chartists, Diggers, Levellers etc) and like that era through protest we will see a reform of the nation.

We marry into similar high unemployment rates within the forces/navy.. high levels of unemployment AND under employment throughout the nation, and a greater divide between the rich and poor.

Then like now, the wages are dropping as our daily necessities rise in cost, While the front loading of the cuts is going to hurt everyone, everywhere.. and this will show up in the coming months, they say a minimum 100,000 will be made redundant in January which will only fuel more protests.

We are (in my opinion) in a transition and I for one believe the outcome tho painfully achieved will be for the good. the only drawback is my fear that to avoid the above happening by taking us to war as a means of control and distraction.

edit on 16/12/10 by thoughtsfull because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 07:03 AM
link   

edit on 12/16/2010 by Misoir because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

But as the right to march and protest is a manifestation and integral part of our current perception of a democracy surely such discussions are relevant and so on topic?

I could be wrong and it is your thread.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join