It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Assange free. Granted bail

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Assange free. Granted bail.

www.boingboing.net

A bail hearing for Wikileaks founder Julian Assange is under way as I type this blog post. Assange is being held in the UK on allegations of sex crimes involving two women in Sweden. Journalists in the courtroom have been granted permission to tweet what they observe, "as long as it's quiet," and does not disrupt proceedings. Bail has been granted.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
twitter.com
twitter.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Wikileaks Founder Julian Assange Arrested in London
Assange lawyer says US spying indictment imminent
Wikileaks protests in Spain over Julian Assange arrest
edit on 14-12-2010 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Assange was granted bail.
For a lot of people on this website that means, more "of course he did, it's all a show." For everyone else though this is a small victory. Of course he will be back in court Jan 11th.

Apparently I didn't post enough of my own comments.
Um.. discuss? if you think this implies something.. say it.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   
You just beat me to it, I was going to post the same info, Im in the "small victory" camp, if they had refused bail again then it would stink to high hell... hell it already does, at least he's out for now and can fight back...

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   
At last. Seems like an eternity ago when he was taken down. Now hopefully he can get back to his work

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Majestic RNA
You just beat me to it, I was going to post the same info, Im in the "small victory" camp, if they had refused bail again then it would stink to high hell... hell it already does, at least he's out for now and can fight back...

but from what the talking heads said today it didn't go down to well with the court that he only gave a PO Box number in Australia as an address
if true

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   
its unlikely that he'll be released tonight. i was quite skeptical that he would make bail but it seems he has. Sweden are going to appeal this decision.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Majestic RNA

Yeah. Hopefully he has a lot to say. Since he mentioned Visa, Mastercard, and Paypal as extensions of U.S. foreign policy I'm hoping he really rails against them. I don't think people see what a big deal it is that the government got these companies to do their bidding. They had to know it would reflect negatively on them. It makes me wonder how/if they were pressured

I thought it was funny that they mentioned he couldn't get time magazine and see his own cover.. like he can't do that now.

Also.. yeah this whole thing has been insanely fishy. Interpol?! Was he planning on never returning? Was he on the lam? Will interpol soon be bringing in expat fathers on outstanding child support?

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

Looks like they took his passport though... standard procedure I guess... they apparently put him in solitary confinement too.....

BBC

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   
More on the bail conditions.

• Surety of £240,000, according to BBC News
• Curfew from 10am-2pm and 10pm-2am
• Assange must report to the police station every day at 6pm

(Guardian)

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Looks like they took his passport though... standard procedure I guess... they apparently put him in solitary confinement too.....

BBC

Yeah for his own protection apparently. From whom? I have no idea.
2nd

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow

BBC

Yeah for his own protection apparently. From whom? I have no idea.
2nd

Obama and his thugs I would take a guess at

I really feel strongly about all this, it's been wrong from the start, he's being fitted up I have no doubt about it, it's in plain sight too, I've said it before on here... "I'll be out marching at demos over this"… the time for armchair protests are over, action is what's needed for the freedom of speech in this world…. I've never been on a protest in my life but this has got my back up… big time!

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   

do you know what happens to sex offenders in prison. including alleged sex offenders. (personally i don't believe he's guilty at all) plus he's a high profile prisoner so there's the chance an inmate could attack him just for reputations sake (bragging rights).
If he gets extradited to Sweden I'm almost a hundred percent sure he'll be extradited from there to the U.S.
I don't think the U.K would get off to lightly if they handed him to America on the basis that there's already a big debate about extradition in the u.k especially involving the U.S

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Yeah, standard I guess, but I still don't know why the circus. He never refused any requests and turned himself in, he has to as maintaining credibility is now his mission and burden. The fact that such efforts have been made to bring him in erases most of the standard C. theorist doubts about WL for me. Likely no one would call out the missing anonymous charges against him if they never happened. It would just be counter productive.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Well, I guess its now off to Ecuador for Lil' Assange. One way or another he'll make it there and most likely he will never see a court room anytime soon. He's like a fart in a windstorm and the chance to bottle the gas has passed. Pardon the puns.

Off to continue his work indeed.... Gotta get the FCC crackdown rolling before Christmas!! Remember that the FCC is due to vote December 21 on a set of new "net neutrality" regulations. The open meeting at which the vote will be held was moved from December 15, leading some people to wonder if the commission wanted to bury this critical vote amongst the distractions of the Holidays.

The internet has thrived and grown exponentially over the last 25 years with virtually NO GOVT. regulation!! REMEMBER THAT!! Think of the massive bandwidth drain of all of the new streaming features available now. Think of the revenue potential in charging for additional bandwidth and beyond!! Its going to get complicated very soon!!!! and you all can thank Assange for what is about to happen as he skips away wrinkle free while licking a very large lollipop.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
If my memory serves correct, wasn't he denied bail orignally because he failed to provide a physical address to the court, instead only reporting a PO box somewhere in London. I wonder if this info was correct, and if it was what has changed since then.

Did he cave in and provide a physical location?

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by thoughtsfull

but from what the talking heads said today it didn't go down to well with the court that he only gave a PO Box number in Australia as an address
if true

Yeah I can imagine it wouldn't go down too well in the courts, you are required by law to state your name and address in the UK... he's out for now that's all that matters for now...

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by danielhanson420

Eh.. I imagine U.S. and U.K. prisons are very different for some reason. Either way, you are thinking of child molesters and child killers. But I just meant, if it was an actual solitary style cell meant as disciplinary. They could have just gave him a private cell.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   
So did Michael Moore help bail him out or do we know who did?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by thoughtsfull

if true

Yeah I can imagine it wouldn't go down too well in the courts, you are required by law to state your name and address in the UK... he's out for now that's all that matters for now...

lets hope the Swedish Authorities don't go for appeal.. the talking heads are rather unclear right now what they are doing, but from what I heard that could delay things by 48 hours.. be
if they do..

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   

I will be there with you. I live in a small town, but I will be making the trip to the nearest protest. Same here, never protested before, but free speech is to important and our government is slapping the public in the face with their blatant disregard of this right. They are showing outright disdain for freedom of speech.
They are literally throwing tantrums and crying about this.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join