It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michelle Obama on Child Nutrition: ‘We Can’t Just Leave It Up To The Parents'

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by eNumbra
Yes we can!

I can't honestly think of anything else to say. I disagree with anything the government seeks to force upon anyone by removing personal choice from the equation.

Exactly!

The government has seen fit to control all means of food production thanks to SB 510. Now they figure they can tell you what you can and can't eat. What you can and can't feed your family.

They aren't the only ones armed. While I get pissy about my child eating garbage from a fast food joint, she likes it so gets to do so on occasion. She also enjoys helping me get produce from the garden and making a meal from scratch.

Telling me what my child can/cannot eat will result in an individual who is far more knowledgeable than buck toothed betty Hussein about nutrition deciding that I'll allow another bag of gummy bears just to piss off the horse faced skank attempting to tell me what I can't do.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Equinox99

But on the same hand you gotta remember the food they want you to consume is just as bad for you, due to the growth hormone crap and all the other junk added to it. It all boils down to them controlling what you eat thats all.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by jaynkeel

But on the same hand you gotta remember the food they want you to consume is just as bad for you, due to the growth hormone crap and all the other junk added to it. It all boils down to them controlling what you eat thats all.

No it doesn't. If the food you eat has hormones than you go and protest, you have a right since that is your taxpayer dollars.

The idea sounds like a wonderful idea but I do understand that when implemented it will be totally different than how it sounded.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I don't care for these people , but this has been taken wrong, she said kids in school need to be made sure they are fed right, in school. Where the parents are not, in school, this is stupid.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
reply to post by bozzchem

If you haven't noticed...we have the fattest people and the fattest kids in the world. Most parents aren't doing a bang up job.

I know people don't like when politicians say that the American people are too stupid to make decisions for themselves...but it is true...people are idiots.

I guess you missed the fact that a lot of these politicians you are talking about aren't exactly in shape themselves...

And If the government was so concerned about healthy food then they would attack the corporations making obscene profits by advertising and promoting this junk..
Not the parents who have kids screaming for a happy meal or a bottle of Coke thanks to seeing multiple adverts on TV..

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   

First of all I abhor your language and your disrespect for leadership. People like you are the very reason that this kind of leadership needs to be in place.

I think the ideas presented by the First Lady are sound. Just because many of you are capable of taking care of your own children...look around you. I see parents that feed their kids Twinkies for dinner simply because they are uneducated and uncaring and just down right effing lazy.

I have seen parents that will purchase food for other people on their welfare card in exchange for cash to buy beer and cigarettes. And the kids get a frozen pizza.

There are many people like this. They need education and guidance. And even then, some are still just too lazy and unconcerned.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

Again, she did not attack any parenting skills or what not. Please point it out where she said parents are the cause for all this. She said the kids aren't getting nutrions they need in school because instead of spending money on lunch they spend it on the vending machine or buying chocolate bars, rather than healthier foods.

Of course, they are going about this all wrong. IF you let the government make these rules than they will go by a trial and error bases. That is when parents need to step in and say look this is what we want our kids to eat. Whether it be hormone free food/drinks, no junk, and etc.

If you let the governments choose what kind of meals your kids will be getting than, like I said, trial and error bases.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I have to agree with OP. They have no right to tell us what to feed our kids. To make matters worse, the current nutritional guidelines as published are hideously wrong. People generally need a higher fat, low carb diet a la Drs. Weston Price, Barry Groves and Atkins...fruit juices and cereals are just plain no good! I found this out several years ago and it totally changed my health outlook. Turn the food pyramid upside down and it would be closer to what is best (minus sugars). I would never trust these freaks to decide what my kids eat or drink.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 09:50 PM
link   

OK you go tell that to Monsanto, I am sure they will be more than willing to listen to you. Seeing as they kind of corner the market on franken foods that are good for you.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   

I notice that every time I go to Wal Mart. So you figure a politician or bureaucrat will do a better job? Just take a gander at what they've done to this country and then I'd think the last thing you'd want it to allow them control over the diets of children. Half of them are fat asses with one foot in a grave and the other on a banana peel.

No, I don't think a politician would control a kids diet...I think they would appoint a nutritionist to do that.

You can have control over my family......after you bury me.

Let me ask you a question...is your family healthy? If so...then you wouldn't really have to worry about anyone controlling your family. If not...well then you are part of the problem.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Her comments give credence to the theory that those in power think they know best and will stop at nothing to remove personal choice and responsibility from our lives.

The arrogance put forth by such people is amazing, and completely unfounded.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by jaynkeel

Well, DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.

You know I am sick of people always asking for help and when someone tries to help they say F Off, we don't need your help, you can't tell us what to do, but please help us.

First of all, how do you know Monsato will be providing the foods for the cafeteria's?

Secondly, why don't you start a petition to provide healthy foods free from any hormones and from genetic modification.

Because sitting here telling me to do something won't help your country. I don't have any kids so therefore this does not apply to me, but if you have kids, this will apply to you!

If you don't want the government regulating the poisons your sons and daughters are getting than do something about it.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Obama used the occasion to laud lawmakers of both parties for passing the bill, saying it shows they can unite on issues that affect the future of the nation's children. Read more: www.foxnews.com...

www.foxnews.com...

I don't care what logic you try to throw at me it's all for show. Simple as that.

"We can agree that in the wealthiest nation on earth all children should have the basic nutrition they need to learn and grow," Mrs. Obama said. "Nothing is more important than the health and well-being of our children. Nothing." Read more: www.foxnews.com...

Same article, again all for show. How these people can sleep at night and pretend to be all for the children when it fits something they want done is beyond me. Next thing it will be is in your workplace, they will craft a law stating things are bad for you as an employee and you can no longer do them at work or in your personal life. Oh wait they already have, then I guess they will just amend those laws and add to them.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Equinox99

Well, DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.

You know I am sick of people always asking for help and when someone tries to help they say F Off, we don't need your help, you can't tell us what to do, but please help us.

First of all, how do you know Monsato will be providing the foods for the cafeteria's?

Secondly, why don't you start a petition to provide healthy foods free from any hormones and from genetic modification.

Because sitting here telling me to do something won't help your country. I don't have any kids so therefore this does not apply to me, but if you have kids, this will apply to you!

If you don't want the government regulating the poisons your sons and daughters are getting than do something about it.

See we agree, thats a wonderful idea. If I could only gather enough support I think that could be sucessfull. Great idea.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   
She has a point. If the sheeple can't decipher between junk food and healthy food that is killing them, they should have the option to have healthy food.

I'm starting to side with Big Brother. He wants the best for us because we don't know any better. Seriously, sometimes the sheeple need what's best for them.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by v1rtu0s0
She has a point. If the sheeple can't decipher between junk food and healthy food that is killing them, they should have the option to have healthy food.

I'm starting to side with Big Brother. He wants the best for us because we don't know any better. Seriously, sometimes the sheeple need what's best for them.

I gotta disagree here, they want you to live a long and healthy life as it is more of an income generator for them, aka taxes.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 10:10 PM
link   

I think your angry knee-jerk reaction is a bit uncalled for here. There is a massive problem with kids being unhealthy and childhood obesity is a big issue - something needs to be done. When parents start shirking their responsibility to regulate what their kids eat - and many parents buy junk food and just let their kids go to town - there's a problem.

I take it that primarily she's talking about school lunches and breakfast programs and making sure that if the kids can't get healthy foods at home they can get at least one balanced meal a day at school. Also, educating kids as to why its important to eat healthy helps them make better choices if their parents won't.

I don't think there's anything sinister going on here and while I'm not sure what methods she intends to ultimately undertake I don't think its going to involve government agents bursting into your house to confiscate your Twinkies.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Besides if they are that concerned about your kids eating healthy and families eating healthy then why would they try to restrict people from growing their own foods? Why would they be crafting laws to keep people from providing for themselves with pure homegrown healthy food? Unless their is another agenda at hand? Because I am pretty sure if you taught kids to be self providing to grow food and to eat what you have produced, there might just be even more of a positive lesson learned to the kids that will follow them throughout life.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   
When ever this woman opens her mouth, I whip out a nasty letter telling her what I think and what I will do, and she is not able to do anything about it.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Yes we DO agree to a certain extent. I think citizens and nutritionists without an agenda should be implementing these kinds of healthy maneuvers. But if there are no citizens or nutritionists stepping up how do we fight this problem?

Whether you like it or not these kids are being poisoned when they eat a small breakfast, sometimes none, and head to school. They don't eat until 11:30 am, by then they head to the vending machine and get m&m's, after that they won't eat until they head home.

At that age your body needs many nutrients and proteins. I was one of those kids within the last 10 years. When I stepped out of highschool I was out of shape. I would wake up feeling like I ate a battery, my body was acidic from all the soda's and junk I used to eat. My parents were both working to make ends meet so I rarely ate any nutritional meals, even though we had plenty in the house.

I think Michelle is providing a great program which SHOULD be run by average citizens and nutritionists.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join