It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Milky Way - Welcome to your New Home Galaxy!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Blarneystoner

This is what the link I provided says

www.astro.ncu.edu.tw...

The Sun and planets move in a quasi-elliptical orbit between about 8.4 and 9.7 kpc from the galactic center, with a period of revolution of about 240 million years. The solar system Is currently close to and moving inward toward "perigalacticon," the point in the orbit closest to the galactic center. In addition, the solar system moves perpendicular to the galactic plane in a harmonic fashion, with a period of 52 to 74 million years and an amplitude of ~49 to 93 pc out of the galactic plane. (The uncertainties in the estimates of the period and amplitude of the motion are caused by the uncertainty in the amount of dark matter in the galactic disk.) The Sun and planets passed through the galactic plane about 2-3 million years ago, moving "northward."

It is pure theory that we moving in an orbit around the center of the Milky Way galaxy, as I pointed out in my previous post. Currently we are moving across the galactic plane at a pretty steep angle.

And the plane of our solar system is at about a 90 degree angle from our galactic plane.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

The orintation of our solar system plane has nothing to do with the galactic plane. That's like saying that the Earth isn't from this solar system because our equator doesn't orient with the solar system orbital plane. Seriously... this thread is no more than Psuedo-Science at best and borderline plagerism at worst. Read the original artical from 2003 and you see what I'm talking about.

Original Theory Abstract

edit on 9-12-2010 by Blarneystoner because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Awesome thread, thank you for putting the time into putting this together so well.

It's all very fascinating to think about - the idea that we've really just sort of merged with what comes into our path and evolved with whatever said things are on that path is a very cool theory.

Keep up the great threads

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

could this be the reason we may be expecting someting, such as a correction of our tilt in respect to the milkyway. ie , poleshift ?

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Read the article in my first post on this thread, and you will get an idea of how little we know about space.

The article you linked to does not support your claims, and asks more questions than it gives answers.

The tilt of the Earth's axis of rotation has nothing to do with it, we are talking planetary orbit. The orbit of the Moon, which is in line with our orbit around the sun does prove my point. Our solar plane is almost 90 degrees different from the galactic plane, and that does puzzle scientists.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

Did you really understand the quote you posted? Do you understand what Sinusoidal means?

solar system moves perpendicular to the galactic plane in a harmonic fashion

here's a visualization of that statement:

And again... here is the representation of Sag DEF orientation to the Milky Way.

You all can believe what you want. I'm just presenting information. Take it or leave it...
edit on 9-12-2010 by Blarneystoner because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by revlis

Maybe over billions of years....and not like we'll really notice such a shift as it happens.

Thing is though, even planets in our own solar system have different "tilts"...so how do we really know which one we are part of. Couldn't there be other explanations for the tilt? Is the assumption that ALL of the planets, around ALL of the stars in the original Milky Way are tilted in accordance with the galactic plane? Somehow, I doubt it. Seems like it would all depend on just how their star was spinning when the particular solar system was created.

So, I'm a Sagittarius from Sagittarius....??? I guess that's better than being Milky Wayans....

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d4c40ab3e976.jpg[/atsimg]

(get it?)

edit on 9-12-2010 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
I've read that we are probably from the Saggitarius Dwarf that is being absorbed by the Milky way and even read some theories about it discussed back and forth on a physics forum where most thought we still were a part of the Milky way due to our sun being iron rich, I believe much like the Milky Way Stars.

I'm not an expert on this, but I think it's unlikely our solar system was from the SagDEG. That captured galaxy seems to have a whole bunch of smaller old stars, which means that there is likely little hard stuff (e.g. rocks) created as a consequence of supernovae suitable for planet formation.

update: I read some of the other links. I will change "unlikely" to "not remotely possible". Sun is not part of SagDEG, period.
edit on 9-12-2010 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by TheOneEyedProphet

Beautifully put.
I believe you have just brightened my night.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   
This could be a brilliant Star Trek scenario.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b

Read the article in my first post on this thread, and you will get an idea of how little we know about space.

The article you linked to does not support your claims, and asks more questions than it gives answers.

The tilt of the Earth's axis of rotation has nothing to do with it, we are talking planetary orbit. The orbit of the Moon, which is in line with our orbit around the sun does prove my point. Our solar plane is almost 90 degrees different from the galactic plane, and that does puzzle scientists.

Which link, I posted several.

Which scientists are puzzled?

I'm certainly puzzled by this comment from you:

There is a story out on the web that has been discussed here on ATS on some threads which claims that the Earth, and our solar system is very important territory for some galactic empire, because we are situated in an important trade route. With the STS intersecting at our location in space, it sure makes that crazy story more plausible.

"..it sure makes that crazy story more plausible."

No it doesn't. It doesn't even make it sound remotely possible.. it makes it sound laughable....

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   

At what angle does the sinusoidal wave cross the time line?

When we are talking about a time line of millions of years and light years in distance and you will begin to see how hard it it to mathematically predict exactly how our solar system is moving through or with our galaxy.

It doesn't prove that we are a part of the SDG, but leaves the possibility open.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Zorgon always love your threads, I haven't read all of this thread yet but I wanted to post my silly message that it is about time it finally got here ....... if we were said to be/live in the Milky Way Galaxy it might be nice we can say yeppers we are finally and really home now.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I think I have to instantly add you to my friends list, so your threads will show up on my "friends new threads" list, so I won't risk missing a new thread of yours.

Not to say I understand every word of this, I don't. But it's certainly bears looking into, and study.

Z.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

Did you notice that the movement actually goes "up and down" and doesn't continue in the same direction as you would expect it to if it was part of the Sag DEF?

Look... I understand that at some times while moving in this sinusoidal pattern our solar system's path is perpendicular to the galactic plane. However, the general path of the SS is around the galactic center and that path is within the "confines" of the Milky Way's galactic plane!! It can't be put any more simply than that!

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Best thread in a long time!!! Isn't it strange how the "collision" just happened to be..perfect? We are halfway between the center and the edge. The center has a black hole so being close to that would be dangerous from the radiation. Inside one of the spiral at the edge would be dangerous from the supernovas (It doesn't seem to have enough of the heavier metal elements that form a planet the size of earth) Threats are minimized,habitability is perfect. This is the best place for astronomical observation and aren't we the only habitable planet? Ah the mysteries of the universe, love it!

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

Oh, don't forget the 4rings.
All makes sense now; eh?

U
edit on 49pm43061112631201012 by Perseus Apex because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Outstanding work! I learn more about scientific ideas and space through this website than I could most anywhere else. I know that there's also a lot of mush on ATS but sometimes half the fun is digging further into the theories behind the posts or reading more data on linked websites. This one is a keeper, and I'm flagging it. Thank you again for the enlightening information!

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Fascinating post, thank you for putting it together!

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   
As I briefly mentioned in another thread about the Milky Way, I have seen this. However, it was under the influence of a hallucinogenic substance so it could be coincidence.

Seriously though, I felt and saw the Universe as it seemed at the time...

But maybe it was the Galaxy I felt and saw, who knows, it was very vivid at the time.

I am in no way condoning drugs, I advise everyone against them. Just pointing out an experience.

eta: I swear< when I look at those pictures of the Milky Way sucking in another Galaxy in the OP, that is exactly what I saw when I closed my eyes that night.
edit on 9-12-2010 by Wide-Eyes because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join