It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Milky Way - Welcome to your New Home Galaxy!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by badw0lf
According to the OP, our galaxy is the Sagittarius galaxy, which on collision with the Milky Way has left us ensnared in one of the spirals of it.
So we're the Sagittariuns.. Invading the larger and cannibal milky way galaxy!

Nicely put
The irony is that I really am a sagittarian

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Wow... You hit this one out of the proverbial ball park. Only... everything you said was wrong, a hoax and invalid!!! Just kidding. This has to be one of the BEST threads I've ever read on ATS. It's one of those paradigm-shifting moments. At first, I was very skeptical. After reading this well-documented post... Wow.

And, my question is: if these scientists have suspected this, researched this... Why haven't I seen this on the news, or a documentary... or even discussed on Coast to Coast AM? This is truly phenomenal. Again, I suppose that this "slant" on explaining why we're on an almost 90 degree course compared to the Milky Way plane is that of a small minority of scientists.

At the very least, this should be up for public debate. S & F. Thanks!!

ADDITIONAL THOUGHTS: The collision of our two galaxies might also explain why, periodically it seems, that large planets, brown dwarfs, etc. come flying out of "empty" space and wreak havoc in our solar system. This could be the reason so many civilizations in the remote and forgotten past are said to have fallen. Maybe this explains the previously inexplicable ---- why we find artifacts in the ground, in strata that dates hundreds of millions of years into the past, artifacts that shake up our current scientific theories surrounding the forming of our modern age, of the progress of mankind. For, when we find tools and artefacts where they shouldn't be (in rock strata of impossibly ancient age), we ask why they're there, how they got there and who made them so long ago. This indicates, to me, that this age, our age, is not the first age of man, but probably the hundredth age, and that every time we reach a certain level of progress, we have been pummeled by rogue planets crashing through our system, rogue stars, comets and asteroids. It seems that each time we progress far enough to know certain things about our galactic neighborhood, we had not progressed far enough to prevent the CYCLIC CATACLYSMS sure to cross our path... Could it be that SHAKESPEARE was onto an ancient truth when he implemented the word "starcrossed" to describe Romeo and Juliet? Apparently, we are indeed --the entire galactic region of these two galaxies-- STARCROSSED.

Further, perhaps this hasn't been widely shared because it is indeed true, and some few people KNOW what is to come, and have some idea as to WHEN. This explains the secret and intense construction projects going on in our country and others. At least that's what Richard Sauder who's written several books on the topic speculates if memory serves. Seed banks being built into the mountains of Norway, at high elevation? All manner of underground city construction (there's one under Kansas City, and it's no secret). Denver Airport!? But, if they told us, civilization would fall. People would stop working and starvation would be soon behind.

This has the makings of a great Hollywood screenplay, but unfortunately, we might have been cursed to be living in "interesting times."
edit on 9-12-2010 by GhostLancer because: Additional comment about "Planet X" events

edit on 9-12-2010 by GhostLancer because: Typo

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Wow. This is pretty amazing! Looks like some emails are going to be sent

Im gonna have to read the rest when I get the time.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I was interested by this claim yesterday when I discovered your post regarding Earth originally being from Sagittarius under the Stargate thread (I think that was the thread). So I researched this claim, and found to no avail that the only website claiming this was utter fact was from Viewzone by Dan Eden. Other websites that claim the same thing generally took their info off Dan Eden's article.

In fact, I found a site that claimed this was baloney. Unfortunately, the link "debunking" Eden's claim is no longer there.

Do you have any other sources that claims this is indeed factual, instead of conjecture?
edit on 9-12-2010 by Loose Change because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
To be an Ander-Son is to be as the Son of an Ander with the Heart of a Lion. Where is the Lioness?
Welcome to the matrix of conformity.
May one find their wings in the tribulations on terrA.

Written as a King's SpartAn.
Must have gotten ahead of mIself.
Looking forward to reading the read.
edit on 49pm28030112331201012 by Perseus Apex because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Hi Zorgon, great post and star and flag from me.Just one question that is bugging me, how can all those stars be moving within the galaxy like our sun, and remain in patterns that are seemingly unchanged over thousands of years of observation?

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Man that was a great read. I learned so much about our universe from this and it's made me feel even smaller then I did. GREAT JOB. Thanks

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
excellent information mate, nice to learn new and important things.

Is this in anyway dangerous for us in planet earth are we safe going the way we are going??

thanks,

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
How can people know where the earth solar system is from

Milky way may not even be milky inside

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

About time there is a good astronomical read SF.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   
EXCELLENT OP!!!

I just love REAL science, and this is a very interesting topic.

It must have taken you quite a while to craft the OP; the effort is very much appreciated, and has earned you a star and a flag (along with major Internets.)

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Fascinating thread Zorgon, but can you please make clearer what this has to do with aliens/UFOs?

I do find this thread very interesting. I know when I was growing up, the basic k-12 education system had me believing that galaxies are huge places with billions of stars. But there were billions of galaxies in the universes. I began to imagine these giant galaxies spread out randomly throughout a nearly infinitely big universe. The complete picture of space is thinking more in terms of galaxies-groups-clusters-super clusters. Certainly we are rewriting science books nearly every week considering the amount of new data coming in all the time. The fact that our tiny star system may come from a neighboring dwarf galaxy is interesting in and of itself.

As far as what that means in terms of aliens/higher intelligence, here's one idea:

Better universal models allow us to better speculate on what the intentions of these mysterious visitors are. Any consciousness (no matter how intelligent or powerful) must have a purpose. This could give potentially higher consciousness a very legitimate and awe-inspiring purpose. Perhaps the collision of galaxies could endanger a promising species/civilization before the civilization is able to harness the full power of science to escape their impending doom. In such circumstances, "aliens" may intervene and move the species to another planet that has similar conditions (gravity, atmospheric composition, etc), so that it can continue it's evolution.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
This is the quality of post I seek in ATS.
Thanks Zorgon , very enlightening, simply amazing.

Thanks

Scary thought: Life may be alien on Earth and our solar system is alien to this galaxy!
edit on 9-12-2010 by TheOracle because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Thanks for a great post. This is the reason I like ATS. Interesting, Intelligent
and Enlightening.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Great stuff Zorgon. Thanks for posting this thread.

Here is a link that gives an idea of how this information is obtained, and how much scientist really know about what they are discovering as their ability to gaze out into space improves. At the very end there are some pictures that put more perspective on the situation. This is some heavy stuff, but those scientifically minded should be able to glean a better perspective of what is being said.

www.cs.rpi.edu...

What fascinates me is the huge spiraling ring that has been named the Sagittarius Tidal Stream. While this system might not be as dense as the Milky Way Galaxy, it seems to occupy a far greater amount of space. Could the STS extend far deeper into space than we are aware? I don't see how this could have been some kind of spiral galaxy ripped apart by the Milky way. It doesn't fit any pattern to suggest such a thing, from what I am reading. Could this stream link us to other galaxies?

There is a story out on the web that has been discussed here on ATS on some threads which claims that the Earth, and our solar system is very important territory for some galactic empire, because we are situated in an important trade route. With the STS intersecting at our location in space, it sure makes that crazy story more plausible.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   
wow! so we had a big crash!
well most of the suns would have miss't.
but most are Still swerving about. LOL.
I always wondered what this would be like.

on NO look out, we are going to hit that galaxy!!!

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
This theory was debunked many years ago.

Discover: Bad Astronomy

A website called Viewzone recently posted an article claiming that scientists have determined the Sun is not native to the Milky Way Galaxy, but instead was absorbed by the Milky Way while eating a smaller dwarf galaxy.

A website called Viewzone recently posted an article claiming that scientists have determined the Sun is not native to the Milky Way Galaxy, but instead was absorbed by the Milky Way while eating a smaller dwarf galaxy.

There’s just one eensy weensy problem with this: it’s totally wrong.

Is this what ATS has been reduced to? Doesn't anyone bother to do a little bit of research?

This story first broke way back in 2003 and was promptly dismissed:

Accidental Weblog

See, there was this paper in the Astrophysical Journal way back in 2003. Full citation is: Majewski, Steven R.; Skrutskie, M. F.; Weinberg, Martin D. et al, “A 2MASS All-Sky View of the Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy: I. Morphology of the Sagittarius Core and Tidal Arms”, The Astrophysical Journal 599 1082 (2003). There’s a preprint online (PDF), if you’re curious about the whole thing… what it basically says is: the Milky Way is currently in the process of devouring a small, nearby elliptical galaxy, the Sagittarius Dwarf Elliptical Galaxy (short form: Sag DEG). The trail of debris from this encounter—a trail of stars ripped out of the Sag DEG by the Milky Way—is a big, long curving thingy that passes right through the disk of the Milky Way—and among the cool things about this: that tail of debris passes fairly close to our current position in the disk.

There’s a pattern, I might add, to a certain form of pseudoscience. It has a way of starting from something already rather cool (those facts, up there above, from the paper), and trying to ‘improve’ upon them, make them cooler still. It’s sort of a fish story phenomenon. No matter how big the fish is you’ve caught, you always want to tell people it’s just that little bit bigger, at least…

Here's a re-print of the original article: Abstract

The BIG problem with this theory is this:

the sun orbits the nucleus of the Milky Way in the plane of the Milky Way’s disk, just like the vast majority of its neighbours, exactly unlike members of the Sag DEG stream.

Comon guys.... top of the front page? really?

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Holly N.R.A.

Nice point about the ancient symbolism of the serpent, as the STS looks a lot like a giant serpent encircling the MW.

What about plasma life forms? Could the Sagitarius Tidal Stream be a huge river through which plasma life flows and communicates across the universe?

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Blarneystoner

Actually our solar system is moving across the solar plane, not necessarily around it. It is ( or was ) believed that we orbit the center of our galaxy in a sinusoidal pattern, but that is only a theory that at a certain point the direction our solar system is moving will change.

www.astro.ncu.edu.tw...

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b
reply to post by Blarneystoner

Actually our solar system is moving across the solar plane, not necessarily around it. It is ( or was ) believed that we orbit the center of our galaxy in a sinusoidal pattern, but that is only a theory that at a certain point the direction our solar system is moving will change.

www.astro.ncu.edu.tw...

Did you look at the picture in the OP of the orbital plane of Sag? The Sag orbital plane is almost 90* to the orbital plane of the Milky Way! Our Sun moves around the galactic plane just like all the other stars originating from the Milky Way galaxy.

The theory is bunk.

ETA: Here's a VALID explaination of the sinusoidal orbit:

...the close proximity of SagDEG has also affected the Milky Way's spiral disk, warping it like an old-fashioned phonograph record left out in the hot sun

Source

edit on 9-12-2010 by Blarneystoner because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join