It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientifically Speaking, Quantum Physically speaking, how could an after life exist?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Your brain controls your consciousness/mind and once that is gone, you won't be conscious.

Your heart controls the pumping of the chemicals which bears emotions, once your heart is gone there is no more emotion.

When you die, your body goes into the ground and it becomes food for worms and the ground.

With this being said, how can there be an after life?

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Well, lets see.

When you die, the spark in your body dies out, theres no more energy flowing through you. Scientifically, it is known that energy nor mass can be destroyed, just displaced.

What if, when we die, our consciousness and energy shift from matter to anti-matter (the space BETWEEN atoms). Thus leaving this dimension and entering another in almost exactly the same spot.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by arpgme
Your brain controls your consciousness/mind and once that is gone, you won't be conscious.

Your heart controls the pumping of the chemicals which bears emotions, once your heart is gone there is no more emotion.

When you die, your body goes into the ground and it becomes food for worms and the ground.

Umm, your missing the whole picture here my friend....What intelligence is in your brain? It is not intelligent of itself, what intelligence tells your heart to pump those chemicals??, what intelligence is it that takes a gamete, and an egg, and from the very same cell, comes two cells, then four, then eight, and from those exactly alike cells, somehow, an intelligence is imbued from somewhere to have this cell start making a heart, this cell to start a brain.....Sure, your body goes to the grave, your brain isn't intelligent in of itself, neither is the heart, it's the intelligence in you that continues on my friend......and will continue forever, for it can not die.....Thus what it means to have a soul.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I do not believe there is an afterlife, that being said, Quantum Mechanics has actually been the first science to even remotely suggest that there may be alternate realities and in that suggestion one could chose to find a potential path to "afterlife".

Portions of M-Theories mathematics hint that all possible outcomes of any given event will occur, while only outcome is manifest in our "dimension". So perhaps, when one dies, one might "switch channels" and continue on in a slightly different reality in which he survived.

It's all too much hocus pokus for me, but I guess the point is, some serious scientist have seen fit to express the potential for some very strange things to happen in a reality that is beyond our comprehension.

Is it the bizarre fringe of scientific quackery or a potential path to other times and dimensional spaces?

Eye of the beholder at this point, me thinks.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I think we need a New Intelligence to this Universe.

The "Intelligence" the OP speak of, is nothing more than a vibration. If it was 332 SubZero, and we were outside naked, none of us would be moving, not even the Trees. Earth-like "Intelligence" comes with a vibration... right? It's all math, and nothing more, chances and probabilities. Invisible Fractals of nothings. What makes it all, really? Why do we have chunks of ice and rock floating in outerspace? how'd they get there?

who knows, who cares, right?
just live life because asking why is a waste of time... right?

Vibrations begin and end with "life".
edit on 3-12-2010 by leira7 because: sometimes, one word can change it all

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Well you don't know how consciousnes is being contained. You can't prove that when your brain dies, your consciousnes is erased. And in quantum physics everything, everywhere is connected and will always be connected, forever and ever, meaning that in one way or another you will live infinitivly.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   
No one knows for sure. THAT'S the fun bit, is't it. Mechaniscism or Spiritualism. Magic or machine.

If there's nothing, You would not know, if there is something beyond our flesh-machine You will find out anyways. We all die. We can postpone it for a bit, maybe for a looong bit in the future, but we all die. Sooo... we are bound to find out...or not.

Shame there's no reporting back...(yet)

Biggest question has always been "What are we? Pseudo sentient machines, or cosmic conscience made flesh?" Is our concience the ultimate fraud? If so, how would we know if we are not "a conscience"? If not a fraud or delusion, where do "I" reside, and what makes "I" capable of thinking about "I" ?

Not even thinking of the implications of being able to realize our conscience is a delusion.. Who's doing the "realizing"? Heh.... dangerous questions my dear.. many a greater mind has gone bonkers over that question.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Intelligence is the wrong choice of words. Consciousness is the correct term.

Matter is never destroyed. It changes to energy.

Your argument presumes that everything that is known or can be known has already been explained by quantum physics but it hasn't. Nobody has explained or understood the effects of forces we cant understand in higher dimesnsions. Even Gravitational forces aren't understood, only their effects.

Quantum physics has not explained how psychisc solve murders. Currently there have been several very good programmes on TV in USA, the U K and Australasia exploring psychics contacting the dead, gleening facts unknown to Police investigators.

I am not talking about shysters passing themselves off as psychics but people with established credentials and valid track records which can't be explained by quantum physics.

Quantum physics is good at what it does but has it's limitations. It can't explain everything in life and to presume otherwise is an arrogant ignorance.

link   
You've got it all backwards - its science that is the illusion, it doesn't really exist. The soul is energy that is boundless and can't be trapped in the body at death. But if you truly believe what you wrote I pity you, i really do.

link   
caterpillar metamorphases into butterfly, the original life leaves the original body with memories of being a worm and the new knowledge that it changed into an entity that could fly. The blueprint for body & soul.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Some will compare the live spirit (one eternal atom) of the human being to tea in a teacup.
When the cup is broken (the body dies and is cremated or eaten by worms if you prefer) the tea does not vanish - it goes elsewhere.

One eternal atom. A spirit, memory, soul particle that weighs in at about an ounce.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
If there is no intelligence to the world beyond chemical interactions then why does physics have discernable laws ?

Why isn't everything just random?

And if there are laws who or what created them?

The more one delves sub atomic particles and discovers well defined laws and principles the more one has to wonder if there isn't some form of intelligent design for this world of ours ?

And you know what?
I don't even practice religion, because I can't stomach the hypocracy of organised religion, but there is something beyond taking a weekly paycheck.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   

your brain controls motor function, both voluntary and involuntary. consciousness is more than just brain function

the chemicals of emotion are produced in the brain, but just because thats where emotion is based from, it doesn't mean we can't be aware of things without a brain
take trees for example... they have no brain, but do they feel joy after a summer rain brings out the sunshine to bathe on them? do they feel pain when an axe tears into them severing their life? are they not conscious of the life they live?

when you die, the matter that makes up your physical body is recycled for future use

but your consciousness finds a new vessel to experience life, whether it be as a new form of life, a ghost unable to move on, or the experience of Heaven/Nirvana in another dimension of the universe

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

I think the point of the brain is to develop awareness of the self.

So after the body leaves, the only thing that remains is awareness, what you choose to do with it???

Just remember, the only thing that can hold you back is the act of not letting go.

In essence, the worldy body is the womb, the earth is like your mother. The act of dying is like being born.
edit on 3-12-2010 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   
YOU are a soul, not a body. you aren't a body with a soul..once a physical body has died, the soul moves on to another body (not necessarily human) until it's karmic intentions are met. think of a soul as a bent and crooked beam of light. each lesson you learn, or as you evolve, your light becomes more straight. thus, it takes many lives and experiences to straighten this light before it re-joins the BIG light..i.e.God, or whatever..that's my take on it anyway, more or less. hope this helped..i found hinduism and buddhism helped me understand. but if you seek, you will find!

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by 3finjo
You've got it all backwards - its science that is the illusion, it doesn't really exist. The soul is energy that is boundless and can't be trapped in the body at death. But if you truly believe what you wrote I pity you, i really do.

Well, if you don't believe in science then I pity you. I hope you don't try jumping off buildings anytime soon...

People, your consciousness is in your brain. No brain, no consciousness. Anyone who has ever fainted before should know this.

Also, what is the soul and where is it located in the body?
edit on 3-12-2010 by arpgme because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Science is a form of observation. It can be a tool of creation...

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Modern science cannot figure out how the consciousness gets into (or switched on in) the brain, so how can we say for sure how the consciousness gets out (or gets turned off)?

We really don't even know how the interaction between the material and immaterial aspects of the brain works. So it is an assumption that the brain is 100% responsible for the consciousness. We can't say for sure with any certainty until we actually know what consciousness is and how it works. Just because something appears to be true, doesn't mean it really is.

Theoretically speaking, since of course our entire understanding of consciousness is theoretical...
It wouldn't be entirely impossible for consciousness to maintain itself outside of the brain for at least some period of time. Consciousness could work like a wave: like a radio. If you think about how certain energy waves can travel around and throughout an entire planet, and through an entire galaxy, then you see that the idea isn't really all that far-fetched.

For all we know, our consciousness could travel into the core of the Earth, into our atmosphere, into the Moon, into the Sun... into outer space, into quantum space, into the nearest black hole, into another dimension, etc. There could even be billions/trillions of "free-floating" consciousnesses orbiting our planet and other celestial bodies. How would we even know?
edit on 3-12-2010 by xiphias because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by xiphias

Actually, yeah, science DOES know that consciousness is in the brain.

Also, have you ever fainted? If you did, you would know that your consciousness fades out and then when you wake up, everything fades back in.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

I'm not saying consciousness isn't in the brain. I'm saying the brain might not be 100% responsible for the presence. fixture, or anchoring of consciousness within the brain. Science hasn't proved this one way or the other. It's an assumption that "conscious energy" is entirely electrical in nature. It could be something else, or even a combination.

If you separate the two concepts, brain and consciousness, instead of assuming they are absolutely co-dependent, you see that it isn't entirely impossible for any type of "energy" (conscious or not) to exist outside of a physical medium. For all we know, the energy which makes us self-aware could maintain itself in a complete vacuum. It could even be dark energy.
edit on 3-12-2010 by xiphias because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join