It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Americans Stupid? Or is the world jealous?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by sensen

That first part dose sound like you are are just taking out your prejudices (or envy) off the US through looking down on the greater wealth of scientific advancements we have made, and shared with you.

Oh for crying out loud, you make it sound like America is the only bloody country on the face of the Earth that has invented important things. Did you know that your refrigerator was invented by an Aussie? And the Wireless internet many people are using now - yep also Aussie. We shared these inventions (amongst many others) with the world and yet you don't hear us screaming out about it - or whinging that others don't give us credit for it. Bloody hell man.....

And lastly, why do you claim that the US is only one of many places that refuges turn when as a result of immigration US populations are rising, whereas European populations as a whole are a fair deal aged (lowering the number of working age citizens), and have a negative net population growth?

Probably because Europeans don't have millions of single mothers popping out babies like flies. Also, you do realise that Europe and America are not the only 2 countries on Earth? There are many others you know......
edit on 2/12/2010 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Amazing that the country who has done more to destroy and kill anyone in the name of america, and you people do not think people have a right to hate your country. Amazing.

America has done more to stifle countries growth than anyone.

Just steal all the worlds resources for yourself.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
First off like some one else said US citizens are ignorant not stupid
Trying to claim US citizens as stupid shows a bit of a bias. Second off the reason the US has it's hands in everything boils back to WWII. Since that time the US has been expected to shoulder alot of things. Like pre-Berlin wall collapse we had a part in protecting the allied portion of Germany or Korea where we have quite a few troops sitting on the DMZ. Funny thing the Korean war was a UN game not just a US one. Granted that our attitude leaves something to be desired in world affairs at times just imagine how certain things would have played out without US involvement. The US has just as shady of a history as those countries that like to criticize us. Ask the Haitian's how they feel about the French or the Aborigine of Australia how they feel about the people they share their land with. The US will be held up for good or ill as a example by the rest of the world.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
"Are Americans Stupid? Or is the world jealous?"

Some Americans are stupid and some people in other countries are jealous. Some people in other countries are stupid and some Americans are jealous. Folks is folks. See?

It is currently trendy to trash Americans. We are the scape-goat of the moment. There are a lot of factors that went into the negative perception that justifies that; most of it isn't true, or is exaggerated.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by hangedman13
the Aborigine of Australia how they feel about the people they share their land with.

I get what you are saying, but I just wanted to point out that Australia made an official, public apology to the Aboriginal people for our forefathers treatment of them - one which was accepted graciously and freely.

Just wanted to clear that bit up.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

I now the US isn't the only one making scientific advances, i'm simply saying that you shouldn't belittle them simply because of who thought of them.

"Probably because Europeans don't have millions of single mothers popping out babies like flies. Also, you do realise that Europe and America are not the only 2 countries on Earth? There are many others you know......"

wow... US doesn't have that either
glad we found common ground, as to why i'm talking primarily about US and Europe, i guess it's because that is what everyone else is talking about.

as to the ignorant not stupid, I agree

and as to the policing the world I like to just extend the sleeping giant metaphor, this is how it goes: Japan woke the "sleeping giant" (USA) right after it had gotten back to sleep leaving it with the idea that it needed to watch the world. Unfortunetly as the years wore on and the giant who was naturally accustomed to sleeping slowly grew tired, than sleep deprived, but it didn't dare closing it's eyes for a second, thinking that if it did it would be woken up again with WWIII, and though the giant could recover and regain it's strength through sleep it stays up for the sake of all these who depend on it for protection. (see hostilities between Japan and China, conflicts with Israel, or keeping the Koreas separated)

The US took Japan's millitary away for the sake of all of Asia, and now has a responsibility to stand up for japan. The US came to free the Jews from concentration camps when others couldn't, now it must keep them safe.
South Korea was only able to stand up to their oppressor because of the US, what would they do if the US no longer promised it's aid?

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I'm an american with a strong belief that I'm stupid. I only say this because school was really easy to get through. I stopped paying attention around 4th grade. I spent most of my time reading and drawing until 10th grade since I needed to put in some effort in to graduated. That alone is enough to prove why americans aren't so bright. On top of that most of the teachers weren't very good. I remember having a teacher who had us teach ourselves. So...we have the best education system ever! No wonder we're all so smart...

I say a large portion of americans are stupid including me.
edit on 2/12/10 by Parize because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flighty
I'm really tired of hearing that are Americans are stupid, dumb, fat and a whole pile of other derogatory things that get bandied about.
I think it's just a reflection of the self hatred of those who think/say those kind of things.

I think the world has been jealous of Americas power but were too gutless to say it until the recent catastrophies that Americans have had to endure. It's called kicking a dog when it's down.
And it's very UGLY.

It's also usually done by Americas so called allies. The ones who will expect America to help them out when TSHTF. Hypocrits.

But, that's my point - because you think you are better than others you think the world is jealous, ( I think it was Bush who instigated that particular line) - but what you don't get is that people outside US actually don't think that. The 'jealousy' thing is nationalist propaganda perpetrated by the MSM.

Many millions of people actually view the US as one of the greatest terrorist countries in the world. They aren't jealous, they just want America to stop dominating and pillaging other countries.

T

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by sensen
reply to post by Kryties

and as to the policing the world I like to just extend the sleeping giant metaphor, this is how it goes: Japan woke the "sleeping giant" (USA) right after it had gotten back to sleep leaving it with the idea that it needed to watch the world. Unfortunetly as the years wore on and the giant who was naturally accustomed to sleeping slowly grew tired, than sleep deprived, but it didn't dare closing it's eyes for a second, thinking that if it did it would be woken up again with WWIII, and though the giant could recover and regain it's strength through sleep it stays up for the sake of all these who depend on it for protection. (see hostilities between Japan and China, conflicts with Israel, or keeping the Koreas separated)

SLEEPING GIANT - "unrealized source of great power; untapped or potential force. This term is perhaps derived from the plight of the title character in Jonathan Swift's 1726 novel, 'Gulliver's Travels'.The term itself may have appeared after the attack on Pearl Harbor. 'Respectfully Quoted,' a collection of quotations by the Library of Congress, tracks the term to a 1970 motion picture, 'Tora, Tora, Tora.' In the film Isoroku Yamamoto, a Japanese admiral in World War II, says, 'I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve.' The attributed remark, however, has no printed evidence to support Yamamoto's use. In 1978, Vermont Royster offered another possible source in the 'Wall Street Journal': 'China is a sickly, sleeping giant. But when she awakes the world will tremble.'.attributed to Napoleon by Lord Amherst." From "Safire's New Political Dictionary" by William Safire (Random House, New York, 1993).

The term 'sleeping giant' was used by Napoleon Bonaparte when describing China. THAT I believe - we are just starting to experience it now. There is no verifiable evidence to suggest that America has ever been described as thus by anyone.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by hangedman13

America didn't win WWII, it contributed, in the latter part. Millions of other nationalities fought as well. Since WWII America has sought financial and political domination of the world. Most world citizens don't want that - hence the problem.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by crmanager

If America is such a wonderful place to be, why do your banksters and your corporations and your military insist on installing themselves all over the world?

Tell them all to stay home in your wonderful country, please. Oh, no, they need to steal the world's resources.

second
edit on 2-12-2010 by wcitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

It was said of the US before Japan attacked Perl harbor in that they were about to wake the sleeping giant,
it became a more famous line when a film quoted it, but I'm terrible with names, oops guess it is unclear wether or not he said it, only that he believed it.
lets see here is a wiki link ( en.wikipedia.org...'s_sleeping_giant_quote )

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

and dont forget mr. treason himself, (john howard) refused to do it during his 10 or so years in office. you're right on the money with your first reply too.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by sensen

You are countering my link with a Wiki link? You do realise that Wiki is not a reliable source don't you? Oh and did you did read my post? This bit in particular....

'Respectfully Quoted,' a collection of quotations by the Library of Congress, tracks the term to a 1970 motion picture, 'Tora, Tora, Tora.' In the film Isoroku Yamamoto, a Japanese admiral in World War II, says, 'I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve.' The attributed remark, however, has no printed evidence to support Yamamoto's use.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties
reply to post by wcitizen

Huh? Maybe its because I'm tired but your post makes absolutely no sense to me in the context of my post.

Please explain? (Aussies will get that one
)

OMG I replied to the wrong person........it wasn't meant for you, and now it's too late to edit it! What to do?

Sincere apologies, on bended knees!

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Wow... I think I went momentarily blind
somehow missed more than half of the quoted part, even when I followed the link sorry (and I hope you didn't think that my whole extension on the metaphor was a quote) Oh well

But I don't see what you are trying to say with your link...

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by crmanager

referring to your last quip "If the world needs a safe place when trouble arrives, either personal or political, they come here. "

it is very sad to see that whatever it once was, it is no longer. TPTB have established themselves thoroughly in the US and are sucking the life blood from right under your noses.

its probably easier to do when you "have it all". thorough planning has gone into this. any freedoms you have are constantly being eroded. look at all the nasty laws that have been put in place in the last 9 years, all to preserve your freedoms that al (cia) quaida are jealous about. its absolutely astounding to me that so many americans (and a few australians too) still believe that moslems took the towers down. these are otherwise intelligent people. the unthinkable is not accessable to them.

time to take the rose colored glasses off and take back your country coz the whole lot is about to go down the plug hole. many other countries are likewise ruled including oz but we appear to be subject to/have a different agenda. maybe we are the lifeboat if all goes wrong for the PTB. many lies have been blatently used against the public of many countries to justify irak and soon to be iran wars. so the reality of the US is it is definitely not safe, just look at the declining dollar. and for many years it has been a country i admired for its naturally endowed beauty but hell, the last place i'd want to visit.

its getting close to your next revolution. keep those guns loaded.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by wcitizen

reply to post by wcitizen

Huh? Maybe its because I'm tired but your post makes absolutely no sense to me in the context of my post.

Please explain? (Aussies will get that one
)

OMG I replied to the wrong person........it wasn't meant for you, and now it's too late to edit it! What to do?

Sincere apologies, on bended knees!

Haha its OK mate, took me a few minutes but it dawned on me that you didn't mean that for me.

You can edit it by the way - above the post next to the "Quote" and "Reply" buttons should be an "Edit" function.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Haha its OK mate, took me a few minutes but it dawned on me that you didn't mean that for me.

You can edit it by the way - above the post next to the "Quote" and "Reply" buttons should be an "Edit" function.

actually, I think it only allows you to edit it for a few hours after you post it, after that...

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by orangutang
reply to post by crmanager

its absolutely astounding to me that so many americans (and a few australians too) still believe that moslems took the towers down. these are otherwise intelligent people. the unthinkable is not accessable to them.

Actually my mother explained that to me when I first told her of my thoughts on 9/11 being an inside job and she reacted with some anger and disbelief. After a while I finally convinced her something was amiss and then asked why she got so angry in the first place, she replied something along the lines of "I suppose its because I have a hard time wrapping my mind around the fact that these people could do something that evil".

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join