It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Army Unveils 'Revolutionary' XM25 Rifle in Afghanistan

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   

U.S. Army Unveils 'Revolutionary' XM25 Rifle in Afghanistan

www.foxnews.com

After years of development, the U.S. Army has unleashed a new weapon in Afghanistan -- the XM25 Counter Defilade Target Engagement System, a high-tech rifle that can be programmed so that its 25-mm. ammunition detonates either in front of or behind a target, meaning it can be fired just above a wall before it explodes and kills the enemy.

It also has a range of roughly 2,300 feet -- nearly the length of eight football fields -- making it possible to fire at targets well past the range of the -- A patrol encounters an enemy combatant in a walled Afghan village who fires an AK-47 intermittent
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Wow....this thing is insane!!!! This gun will completely revolutionize the way hand held weapons are used. Short of a ray gun, this is the baddest thing out there. You can actually caclucate exactly where you want the bullet to explode (and it explodes with the force of a hand grenade). It also fires the bullet at a distance of almost half a mile.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by princeofpeace
Wow....this thing is insane!!!! This gun will completely revolutionize the way hand held weapons are used. Short of a ray gun, this is the baddest thing out there.

Actually it seems way more dangerous than an extremely precise ray gun
This rifle does not require so much accuracy, it will still kill

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   
It better be good, for $35,000.00 a peice. I read that they will likely distribute 1 per unit within a few years.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   
This is basically a miniature missile!!

Wow

MBF

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 08:45 PM
link   
They can do this already with some of the larger rounds. Good find though, I haven't seen this on a smaller round.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by princeofpeace

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 09:25 PM
link   
So they finally figured out how to get bushmaster technology into a portable lightweight rifle... I'm impressed!

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   
This is a cool weapon and all but wat if an enemy leans from a doorway or balcaney to fire on us soliders. They fire the xm25 to detonate in the room. well come to find out upon investigation the shooter was the only armed enemy in the room and his mom and 3 year old sister and grandma is laid out pretty much ate up with shrapnel

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Go America thats a bad ass gun!!!

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by pthd840
This is a cool weapon and all but wat if an enemy leans from a doorway or balcaney to fire on us soliders. They fire the xm25 to detonate in the room. well come to find out upon investigation the shooter was the only armed enemy in the room and his mom and 3 year old sister and grandma is laid out pretty much ate up with shrapnel

SOB shouldn't of risked his mom and 3 year olds sisters life shooting like a coward behind his mommy.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Very true it was dumb given the scene. but things like that happen and i was just putting the thought out there because the source gave the village scene and i couldnt help but think that innocent people live in villages too

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Will this mean the end of cover-based shooters in video games? Bummer!

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by thewanger
Will this mean the end of cover-based shooters in video games? Bummer!

that happened a long time ago battlefield 2142 Pwned!

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   
A bad ass gun,. but at $35,000 a pop, I wonder how many troops will get one when they can't even give them adequate body armor?

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   
We're certainly good at killing. How much better can we get?

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by pthd840

If the round explodes with the power of a grenade then it sounds like the traditional ordnance rules will remain in effect. If this is the first effective weapons system available then what can you do?

It almost seems like a nice weapon to have mounted as a crew serve or something.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   
I believe the article said there would be one gun per squadron to begin with. I believe specials groups like small SEALs units will all be eqipped with them.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by pthd840

I hate to say this, but we're dealing with an unconventional enemy, they hide amongst the civilians because if we kill an innocent civilian we are condemned. Noone condemns the enemy for hiding and using humans as shields.
If it happens, its unfortunate, but until the enemy stops bringing the fight to civilians, they will continue to be collateral damage.
The soldiers have a tough enough job trying to figure out WHO the enemy is, maybe a few airbursts will change this.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 11:04 PM
link   
And yet again.. America creates another damn weapon.. Cant you guys create anything that doesnt kill people and destroy things ?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join