It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA's Press Conference December 2 To Reveal "Astrobiology" Finding!!

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Ross 54

Excellent, Excellent, Excellent Post!

If this is the discovery it will be HUGE! If they have found a second Genesis on Earth where you have another life form evolving alongside carbon based life forms, then it's checkmate. I personally believe the talk of life being rare to earth is a fantasy that's not based on any evidence just a philosophy that wants to restrict life in the universe to earth so it must be rare.

I think the reluctance in these areas stems from what Extraterrestrial existence would mean. Many people don't want to face these questions because they have a set worldview and the existence of Extraterrestrials would be like opening Pandora's box.

Are these Extraterrestrials the gods of some religions? Have they visited us? Are they coming back? How advanced is their technology? And the questions go on and on. So it's easier to ignore any of these questions and just stick your head in the sand and say,"Life on earth is rare" three times in a row and that will make it true.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Matrix Rising
reply to post by Ross 54

Excellent, Excellent, Excellent Post!

If this is the discovery it will be HUGE! If they have found a second Genesis on Earth where you have another life form evolving alongside carbon based life forms, then it's checkmate. I personally believe the talk of life being rare to earth is a fantasy that's not based on any evidence just a philosophy that wants to restrict life in the universe to earth so it must be rare.

I think the reluctance in these areas stems from what Extraterrestrial existence would mean. Many people don't want to face these questions because they have a set worldview and the existence of Extraterrestrials would be like opening Pandora's box.

Are these Extraterrestrials the gods of some religions? Have they visited us? Are they coming back? How advanced is their technology? And the questions go on and on. So it's easier to ignore any of these questions and just stick your head in the sand and say,"Life on earth is rare" three times in a row and that will make it true.

ahhh... calm down, you're getting too excited and jumping the gun i think. this is not a discovery of finding aliens or extraterrestial life. it's more of a discovery of finding the right elements in the universe for life to survive. that could be nothing new to us.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by sc00by_d00

From the post a page or so back that leaked the info its supposed to be life that evolved on earth on a paralell to humans (I think I got that right). Fox News was talking about this and some of their speculation was from what the article mentioned refers to, to contact, to finding some type of life on one of the moons of either Saturn or Jupiter, which is to say no one has any idea of what it is until tomorow.

I for one hope its ET.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

as much as i would like it to be the ET as well, because i am a believer in this phenomenon, i really don't think that this is the case.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

As I said last night, it is about possible life else where in the solar system - based on the second Genesis on Earth. Believed, from my source, that an analogy to Titan will be made. Will it be confirmed? NASA already has potential data about life on Titan (see the news stories from June 2010) - due to its primitive state, it will be extremely difficult to confirm the presence without physically observing it.

If world governments stopped behavouring as philistines we might actually provide the platform for a global space agency, under the UN, which could analysis these findings - without national agencies competing among themselves.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
If world governments stopped behavouring as philistines we might actually provide the platform for a global space agency, under the UN, which could analysis these findings - without national agencies competing among themselves.

Under the UN? BAD IDEA IMO

I say let the NAVY do it... after all the flew Clementine which gave us full color images of the moon, and found that water that NASA only rediscovered 16 years later. They also flew a tether satellite at the same time that NASA was flubbing theirs... and even shot lasers at it to proof of concept laser power transmission...

And in Star Trek, it's the NAVY doing all the exploration, but at least the ships are armed, in case you met some 'resistance'

You know? They even have a laser at China lake called SELENE that can beam power to a Lunar Base

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
New tweet from NASA @ 12:29 PM PST

NASA NASA Tune into our press briefing on a new astrobiology discovery: Thursday, 2pm EST. Live on NASA TV & online. www.nasa.gov...

NASA Twitter

"A new astrobiology discovery" is an interesting choice of words from the wording in their original press release. I hope I'm not reading too much into their wording. I'm thinking it could be due to Twitter's character limit, but NASA seems to be hyping people up for tomorrow's meeting!

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   

NASA Aids in Characterizing Super-Earth Atmosphere 12.01.10

Artist concept of exoplanet GJ 1214b The planet GJ 1214b, shown here in an artist's conception with two hypothetical moons, orbits a "red dwarf" star 40 light-years from Earth. Image credit: CfA/David Aguilar › Full image and caption PASADENA, Calif. -- A team of astronomers, including two NASA Sagan Fellows, has made the first characterizations of a super-Earth's atmosphere, by using a ground-based telescope.

A super-Earth is a planet up to three times the size of Earth and weighing up to 10 times as much. The findings, reported in the Dec. 2 issue of the journal Nature, are a significant milestone toward eventually being able to probe the atmospheres of Earth-like planets for signs of life. The team determined the planet, GJ 1214b, is either blanketed with a thin layer of water steam or surrounded by a thick layer of high clouds.

If the former, the planet itself would have an icy composition. If the latter, the planet would be rocky or similar to the composition of Neptune, though much smaller. "This is the first super-Earth known to have an atmosphere," said Jacob Bean, a NASA Sagan Fellow and astronomer at the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics in Cambridge, Mass. "But even with these new measurements, we can't say yet what that atmosphere is made of. This world is being very shy and veiling its true nature from us."

NASA SOURCE

If someone has already posted this correlation then i apologise in advance..... wanted to get this post in then gonna read the whole thread
have not been on in a while.....

But they are able to detect the 'Characteristics' of an atmosphere around a 'super-Earth-

What if these results show life in those atmospheres? or things that only life below could produce?

we live in interesting times.
edit on 1/12/10 by Quantum_Squirrel because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Could it be that the info in this article is what will be talked about tomorrow?

Sky News

Hopes Rise Of Chance Of Life Outside Earth
The chances of life existing outside the Earth have been boosted by the discovery that there might be many more stars in the universe than first thought.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaSaint
Could it be that the info in this article is what will be talked about tomorrow?

Sky News

Hopes Rise Of Chance Of Life Outside Earth
The chances of life existing outside the Earth have been boosted by the discovery that there might be many more stars in the universe than first thought.

Nice catch, well seems it could be a multitude of things , ..

Arsenic (daily mail)
More stars .. (sky) ..
Atmosphere of super-earth (Nasa)

or maybe none of the above , .. its really nice to see the MSM picking up on these stories even if just to shine a slither of light on the sheeple.. but maybe they are also guessing just like we are.... ..

i guess tomorrow at 2 we will tell

lets hope its not a budget boosting tactic.... i have always said about disclosure ( of any form microbes etc.)

it seems to be

Drip Drip Drip , from many different directions .
edit on 1/12/10 by Quantum_Squirrel because: spelling

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
NASA went to fuel consuming rockets instead of the available advanced propulsion
as if we were not going to the moon or planets anyway.

A more effective Navy was proposed long ago by Tesla.
(March 20, 1907 To New York Times)
Tapping into his world wide remote control armies might have been a wikileaks disaster
but do you think Tesla would ever give out the password.

Laser is pulsed naturally coming from voltage jumps in atoms would have little
effect compared to the focused voltage of Tesla as we know propels his ship
and might beat out the destructive power of any laser gun.
Unfortunately neither the Navy or anyone else beating a path to the Tesla
library will be let in.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by TeslaandLyne

Tapping into his world wide remote control armies might have been a wikileaks disaster
but do you think Tesla would ever give out the password.

Laser is pulsed naturally coming from voltage jumps in atoms would have little
effect compared to the focused voltage of Tesla as we know propels his ship
and might beat out the destructive power of any laser gun.
Unfortunately neither the Navy or anyone else beating a path to the Tesla
library will be let in.

What's the Tesla-NASA-NAVY-Wikileaks connection?

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
It's about a microbe found near Mono Lake that's based on ARSENIC!!!! (not phosphorous)
This has consequences for the search of life in the universe!!!!!!!!!
because they never looked at ARSENICUM (wich is tremendous poisonous!)

The britsh newspaper The Sun has this story, inspite of the no-publicitie code!
we'll here it tomorrow!

Quote:

HOPE of finding ET-style life on other worlds has got a massive boost after scientists discovered microbes in a deadly poisonous ARSENIC lake.

NASA researchers - amazed that anything could thrive in the toxic liquid - will unveil their dramatic conclusions tomorrow.

They say the microbes prove a second form of life started on Earth in environments previously thought too hostile.

It opens up the possibility that Extra Terrestial aliens like the one from the 1982 movie CAN exist in the solar system.

Geobiologist Dr Felisa Wolfe-Simon made the breakthrough discovery during two years probing Mono Lake in California's Yosemite National Park - which has one of the highest natural concentrations of arsenic on Earth.

She will be among NASA-backed experts explaining the findings. Others include ecologist James Elser, who researches the possibility of ET creatures on other planets.

Scientists looking for life on Mars and Saturn's largest moon Titan will also speak.

Basic forms of life found before all rely on phosphorous to exist...............................

Unquote

source: www.thesun.co.uk...
edit on 1-12-2010 by DarkVince because: I've put more information in my comment and edited my source in it

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by DarkVince

I also heard that is going to be the content of the press conference. However, this is not new news. Here is an article from 2008 discussing this very find. Wonder why NASA, only now, feels the need to rehash this.

dsc.discovery.com...

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Get some pre-study about Felisa Wolfe-Simons lecture from November at Nasa Astrobiological Institute Workshop.

Alternative Biochemistry and Arsenic. Shadow biosphere.

Life on Earth is metabolically diverse and yet maintains a biochemical unity. That is, all known biology is composed of essentially identical components such as DNA/RNA, proteins and lipids made of carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, oxygen, phosphorus and sulfur; while the physiology of organisms can be highly varied. The basis for all life starts with chemical underpinnings. This chemical potential manifests in four metabolic strategies used by life on Earth today, all of which most likely evolved in the distant past. However, a single metabolism is not linked to a unique microbe, for example some microbes, like Cyanobacteria, may utilize known biological processes (e.g. photosynthesis) in alternative ways with relatively unexplored yet potentially significant biogeochemistry. In addition to well-known microbes with unexpected metabolism, current research is also addressing this ‘unity of biochemistry’ to identify potential alternatives to ‘CHNOPS’-based life; for example the substitution of arsenic for phosphorus. Taken together, variations on these themes of microbial metabolic flexibility and alternative biochemistry may help us search for ‘alien’ life either elsewhere in the Universe or a ‘shadow biosphere’ right here at home on Earth.

connect.arc.nasa.gov...

This is so remarkable that Felisa will goto Stockholm next year and get some Nobel.

edit on 1-12-2010 by northwoods because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Felisa Wolfe-Simon was on an episode of Morgan Freeman's Through the Wormhole series. The episode "How Did We Get Here?".

If anyone wants to watch it, might be a preview of tomorrow's announcement.
Her part starts at 2:00 into the video.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   
I think it likely that Dr. Wolfe-Simon will have more to tell about arsenic-based life than was known in 2008. Her work in this area has been ongoing. An organism that uses arsenic only as a substitute for phosphorus in photosynthesis might merely be an extremophile cousin of ours. Phosphorus is essential in many biological molecules: DNA, RNA, ATP (adenosine-triphosphate), used for energy transport in cells, and phospholipids, which form cell membranes. If all of these functions were assumed by arsenic instead, we would have something very strange indeed, an independent and 'alien' form of life, right here on Earth.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I'm starting to like the name Dr Felisa Wolfe-Simon. She said this in a Times Online article:

Dr Wolfe-Simon is investigating whether, in the mud around the lake or in the water, there exist microbes whose biological make-up is so fundamentally different from that of any known life on Earth that it may provide proof of a shadow biosphere, a second genesis for life on this planet.

Her work is funded by the Nasa Astrobiology Institute and she is based at the laboratories of Professor Ron Oremland, of the US Geological Survey in Menlo Park, California. Does she believe that there are alien life forms out there? “I don’t know how there could not be extraterrestrial life,” she replies.

www.timesonline.co.uk...

This might get interesting tomorrow. If they show a second Genesis occurred on Earth that will be HUGE!!

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Yahoo guesses "that a group of NASA astrobiologists has discovered a chemical model for life based on something other than oxygen and water. Such a discovery might open up the number of potential sites where extraterrestrial life might be found and would be a major breakthrough in the field."

The article goes on to detail some of the specialties and a little background on the team members who have made the discovery. It's worth looking at. Regardless, it's an exciting time...

news.yahoo.com...

edit on 1-12-2010 by jcolsto because: URL didn't work

edit on 1-12-2010 by jcolsto because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Leak....

NASA has discovered a completely new life form that doesn't share the biological building blocks of anything currently living in planet Earth. This changes everything.

gizmodo.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join