It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How can the earth be millions of yrs old and we can't find a tree over 10K yrs old?

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldThinker
You just get off work or home from the bar?

OP get's creative license

Still you remain off topic.
The earth is much older than 10,000 years.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by OldThinker

What does that have to do with the thread?

link   

edit on 24-11-2010 by mr10k because: Triple double post

link   

edit on 24-11-2010 by mr10k because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   

SF I thought it was a pretty good question, no reason to be so grouchy.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by cbaskins

If you want to get depressed...wait....wait till after thx-gving....read the paniky pages of responses...I thought it was benign enough...maybe not

Thank you for the S&F

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illustronic
You see OldThinker that is the beauty of science, to be able to use new discoveries to amend set patterns observed. Which you refer to as following the wrong path, failed theory, bad science.

We have yet to see one simple indication that faith based beliefs can be duplicated in a laboratory several times always with the same result. In fact we have ZERO indication that faith based beliefs have ONE SINGLE shead of tangible evidence of existence.

But you do the math. Oh that's right, math is a NASA hoax and us shepple are stupid. But you know better. Lets read your dissertation, or white paper. Have you a peer reviewed essay?

I'm on the edge of my seat in waiting, maybe the edge of this dimension, or is it Dementia?

You seem to think science is the anti-God, and I say to the contrary, God is science, and science is slowly figuring out how God works. He is logic, and follows rules, rules that He made. (stop rolling your eyes and keep reading)

If you delve deep enough into quantum physics you will find some strange FACTS that are PROVEN. Facts that even atheist physicists will admit to.
For instance, matter can go from one spot to another without moving through the intervening space (called quantum tunneling).
Photons that are light years away can affect one another simultaneously.
An electron can move so fast that it can be at two places at once.
Most of our matter is actually 99% empty space. Yet you can sit in your chair and not fall through it.
If you throw a crumbled ball of paper on the floor, quantum physics says that it shouldn't land anywhere on the floor, in fact it should land either everywhere or nowhere. But the fact that it lands where it did, means that something made it land in that exact spot.
Believing that there is no God takes more faith then it does to believe in God.

(I guess im not your stereotypical dumb, conservative, Palin loving, gun toting, socially backwards, uneducated redneck.) Although I do like Palin, I hope that doesn't ruin it.

edit on 24-11-2010 by freedish because: meh

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   

The tectonic plates of the Earth are constantly in motion. Large movements in the Earth's crust destroy trees, and then new ones grow.

You can live to be 80 years old, but the cells of your body are only a few months old at the most. Constant renewal.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by freedish

Easy now freedish, before loong you'll be on the Atheist Black List like
T......

Happy Thx-giving friend

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   
because of fireworks thats why.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Easy now freedish, before loong you'll be on the Atheist Black List like
T......

Happy Thx-giving friend

Haha sorry I get a little fired up when it comes to my faith. Especially when people make faulty assumptions.

Happy Mashed Potatoes, Gravy, Cranberry Sauce, Green Bean Casserole, Cornbread, and Turkey Day!

By the way I'm thankful that we live in a country where we are allowed to debate our beliefs. 60~ years ago in Russia it was illegal to own a bible. Makes you wonder...if it's just a book written by some guy, why does it cause so much turmoil?

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Reasons that we don't find trees older than 9K (or more) years-old:

1. Organic materials decay and are "absorbed" by the ecosystem (microbes, etc.). Organic materials do not last as long as inorganic materials (stone). Rock of ages. Stones LAST.

2. Trees are made of wood. They get chopped down by people who don't realize how ancient they are. When it's cold, they don't care. They also needed trees for construction (ships, cabins, forts, fences, etc.).

3. Tree disease. Yes, trees get diseases. And they die.

4. Termites, beavers, woodpeckers, bugs. Yes, they chew up and/or devour wood.

5. Wood burns. There is LIGHTNING. Even if people do not lay a hand on trees, nature will over the course of time send that errant bolt from the sky which will eventually ignite a tree and cause a forest fire. Forest fires are a natural part of the cycles of our world (which is why we shouldn't build neighborhoods in regions of California that are overdue for such things). Forest fires HAPPEN. They burn down countless tracts of wilderness each year. Imagine this cycle over the course of thousands of years.

Frankly, I'm surprised that this tree survived this long. It's easy for someone to get drunk and get a wild idea to chop down an ancient tree, or ignite it in a fiery display of stupidity. It is EASIER TO DESTROY than to create. This tree is LUCKY TO BE HERE. We are lucky to have it.

So, in the end, trees don't get old because of a variety of reasons, FIRE being the most destructive. Further, some trees simply die of old age. As far as we know, *nothing*, lives forever.
edit on 24-11-2010 by GhostLancer because: Typo

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Thank you for your thoughts...your perception of Christianity is disturbing to me...I have had nothing "active" in my faith...its all been "passive"....I am not in the know...but the "known" has revealed himself to me ... because I asked.

Yeah, sorry, but thats what everyone of every religion says... so whos right???

The universe told me that I can't begin to understand it, so instead of wasting my life wondering whos right or wrong, just enjoy it.

nothing disturbing about that my friend

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Since we cut down lots of trees these days, forest fires, and all the destruction. We only have some trees that are a few hundred years old.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   

60~ years ago in Russia it was illegal to own a bible. Makes you wonder...if it's just a book written by some guy, why does it cause so much turmoil?

Yes, what a sobering thought...

Some young poster 10 pages back or so said, "some guy (just) wrote it" I wonder if some of our young engineers/left-brainers had to 'experience' persecution would they be sooo cocky about their beliefs?

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by GhostLancer

Nice reply...well-thought-out and CALM

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Trees are not required to prove a lot of things.

But if we are talkign about evolution, many have gone 1,2 ahh 10! It's all rubbish. If it were true there would be evidence of gradual change and there is none that I have ever seen.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Odessy

Thank you for your thoughts...your perception of Christianity is disturbing to me...I have had nothing "active" in my faith...its all been "passive"....I am not in the know...but the "known" has revealed himself to me ... because I asked.

Yeah, sorry, but thats what everyone of every religion says... so whos right???

No problem...

You have to answer that yourself....I started here: www.amazon.com...

...when I got serious...

Have a great holiday

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by daggyz
Trees are not required to prove a lot of things.

But if we are talkign about evolution, many have gone 1,2 ahh 10! It's all rubbish. If it were true there would be evidence of gradual change and there is none that I have ever seen.

Actually, we have plenty of evidence:

Also, we are actively using the theory of evolution in modern gene technology and medicine. If the theory were wrong, we wouldn't have many of the antibiotics we have today.

Hope that clarifies it

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Wow, look at you. "when I got serious." Just like a good christian, judging me on how serious I am.

I know myself man, and I'm very happy to be alive. I can see the beauty of this place and ponder at its marvels. I have no fear, of anything. So why should I change? You have nothing you can offer me that is better than what I experience on a day to day basis. Some days are better than others, and there are ups and downs, but I'm happy dude, and the world teaches me things every day.

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join