It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What about Crowley?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by network dude

crowley was a rich playboy,homosexual,drug addict and con man, and at the time the occult was a favourite past time for most people,hes more closer to a george bush meets charles manson than an anton la vey,try jack parsons or barbara bush for links,to this mad man

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by The 5th
reply to post by Tamahu

Apologies for being somewhat brash with that post Tamahu, it was a very late and tired night for me and there are some things i don't agree with SAW on when it comes to that said topic, but should not of been so forward with you.

No worries.

About the Name of Samael

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by driley
Crowley was never a regular Mason, although, in fairness, it made several attempts to become one.

Crowley's status as an initiate in most organizations is somewhat suspect, actually. He seemed to have a talent for finding himself in irregular, clandestine, or disintegrating organizations and then making maximum use of the shards as they fell about him. I seem to remember reading that his Golden Dawn credentials were pretty suspect and that even his O.T.O. credentials were somewhat... open to interpretation.

driley,

Again you impress me with your accuracy. *smile*

Crowley's "entry" into the Golden Dawn is what further contributed to its disintegration into two groups. Lots of history on this well known fact. Later, Crowley went on to be part of many offshoots including the O.T.O.

Esoteric studies often splinter into "left hand path" and "right hand path." I believe Crowley spent a lot of time investigating both. While the man was a genius and progressive for his time (few can argue this point), his ego in these matters ultimately descended him into madness. As any student of the mysteries would know, it is imperative to have a balanced psyche when studying the paths. Any imbalance is downright dangerous and can lead to physical and mental breaks. I have no doubt that Crowley was a gifted magician and much can be learned from studying him or his techniques; however, I would also caution any prospective student to study his mistakes too.

I do not believe Crowley was a Satanist. It is easy for those who do not understand the mysteries to think Qabalah, Golden Dawn, Rosicrucianism, or Thelema is "not of God." This is a false assumption and couldn't be further from the truth. All of these subjects simply discuss a philosophical and spiritual system whose basis equates to a balance of forces. "Good" and "Evil" are simply matters of degree on a scale of existence created by one divine being.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 05:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Masonic Light

Originally posted by KeithClark

Aleister Crowley was a member of a irregular lodge under the jurisdiction of the UGLE.

- I'm a mason

Crowley's Lodge, Anglo-Saxon No. 343 in Paris, was under jurisdiction of the Grande Loge de Francais, not UGLE.

Correct my mistake, thanks for that!

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Masonic Light
Organization-wise, no. Crowley's O.T.O. is very small, numbering around 3,000 worldwide. The turnover rate is very high, and most of the members are nowhere near as serious as Crowley was. The O.T.O. is primarily peopled by aging hippies and young goths, and could not in any significant way be considered "powerful".

The number of initiates of the OTO who don't even practice magick is disappointing. It's easier to find community in Thelema than it is in the 'official' religious body of the practice these days.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join