It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What about Crowley?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Alister Crowley is a name that pops up quite often in masonic conversations here. Most often it's some anti-mason claiming that Crowley was a satanist and a 33rd degree mason, so that proves that we all worship the devil. But do these people really know about Crowley?

First off, he was not a mason. Not in the sense that regular masons believe. Regular masonry is where a group decides to have a lodge. They apply for a charter from their governing body. Like in the US you would petition your Grand lodge at state level. All grand lodges are chartered by the UGLE or United Grand Lodge of England. The lodge Crowley was a part of was not a recognized body of the UGLE. He was not aware of that at the time, and once he found out, he wasn't very happy.

Freemasonry

He had also claimed to be a Freemason,[123] but the organizations he joined are not considered regular by Masonic bodies in the Anglo-American tradition.[124] Crowley claimed the following Masonic degrees: 33° of the Scottish Rite in Mexico from Don Jesus Medina. “Don Jesus Medina, a descendant of the great duke of Armada fame, and one of the highest chiefs of Scottish Rite free-masonry. My cabbalistic knowledge being already profound by current standards, he thought me worthy of the highest initiation in his power to confer; special powers were obtained in view of my limited sojourn, and I was pushed rapidly through and admitted to the thirty-third and last degree before I left the country.” The Confessions of Aleister Crowley pp. 202–203. 3° In France by the Anglo-Saxon Lodge No. 343, a Lodge chartered in 1899 by the Grande Loge de France, a body unrecognised by the United Grand Lodge of England, on 29 June 1904. 33° of the irregular 'Cerneau' Scottish Rite from John Yarker 90°/95° of the Rite of Memphis/Misraim from John Yarker. The United Grand Lodge of England, whose recognition is generally considered the standard for Masonic validity, did not recognize any of the above bodies as being true Freemasonry, thus Crowley never was an “official” Freemason within the common understanding of the term. Crowley quickly realized that the post-Yarker era meant change. He was not rebellious by reflex, at least where old British institutions were concerned. He undoubtedly believed O.T.O. had authority from Yarker to work the Ancient and Primitive Rite's equivalent to the Craft degrees in England, but once made aware of the issue of regularity when having his own French Masonic credentials declined, he was not defiant and on his own made changes to the O.T.O. to avoid conflict. He inserted notices into the last number of The Equinox to the effect that the O.T.O. did not infringe upon the just privileges of the Grand Lodge Of England During WWI Crowley worked slightly revised English Craft rituals in America, but despite the absence of a central Grand Lodge, he met with objections from masonic authorities. He then rewrote the O.T.O. rituals for I° – III° so that they no longer resembled Craft masonry degrees in language, theme or intent.[125]

source

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   
I will try to add more to this later. I am not an expert on the man by any means, but I am still researching. I have yet to find any claims backed up by facts that he ever performed blood sacrifices, or harmed anyone during any magick ceremonies. Any information along that line would be appreciated.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by network dude

Sorry Crowley is not and never will be a Mason
Non masons
What will it take?

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 09:23 AM
link   
so masons do rituals like crowley used to do?

masons practice similiar occult practices as crowley was involved with?
edit on 11/19/2010 by indigothefish because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Most masons are left in the dark regarding the truth of the secret society practices, and how they correlate with Lucifer, God, and the creation of our material world.

Perhaps Mr. Crowley knew more than most - even if he wasn't labeled "official" (whatever that means, anyways).

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   
I think that any group who meets in a 'chappel' to have secret meetings and do secret rituals is masonic. IMO
Just because Crowleys didn't actually progress up the ladder of standard masonry doesnt mean that he doesn't have provenance as a person of great esoteric knowledge, If he did indeed learn everything there is to know about the craft up to the 33rd degree then he would easily have the power to start a Masonic style lodge system, which he did.

Now lets not forget that Crowley had a direct influence on the sci-fi writer and founder of Scientology; the now infamous Elron Hubbard. Assuming Crowleys did infact advise Elron of the fact that the time was ripe for a new religion to sweep accross America; (and we are assuming here that if Crowley implied making up a religion out of thin air then we can only assume he meant it should be done for capitalist reasons rather than moral or enlightnment reasons) this starts to point in the direction of 'the charlatan' Crowley and his reasons for starting the A.'.A.'. and the O.T.O, can become questionable.

Now I am a relatively learned Thelemite (Crowley's system of theologies and philosophies) and so myself I dont question Crowley's ability and instruction, though it may be hard to grasp at first it is an endless form of both education and entertainment, aswell as being a fantastic tool for self empowerment and ritualistic creative visualisation. The Astral Plane is real, Albert Hoffman visited as did Tim Leary. Im sure the tibetan monks and Indian guru Yogi Masters do too. I know I've travelled there many a time, to such an extent that now I walk wih it around me at all times, Im in mid cross over, which has both positive and negative side effects.

Crowley peformed a lot of sexual rituals, sex was his thing more than blood. He was bi sexual because he believed the (snake) kundalini could be achieved more effectively in same sex intercourse due to the extra (taboo) barriers one had to get through to truely ritualise the sex (in as much as I understand this it would appear Crowley was straight and forced himself to have intercourse with other males solely for the practice of Magick.) This being said he wrote openly homosexual poetry and is known to have a relationship with a man for some time.

One of his more notable student affairs was with Jerome Pollitt, a female impersonator ten years his senior

www.glbtq.com...

He used to jokingly refered to his sperm as 'child sacrifice' 'kill' and 'blood' : leading to a century of confusion.

A song by a band called Crowleys Tears:

Snake Kundalini aim for eternal.
Snake Kundalini aim for eternal, life.
Snake Kundalini aim for eternal.
Snake Kundalini aim for eternal, life.

2 Men in respect aim for eternal life,
2 Men in respect aim for eternal light,
2 wizards wand and dagger, (reference to their privates)
to Pan's delight.

edit on 19-11-2010 by Lagrimas because: spelling

edit on 19-11-2010 by Lagrimas because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-11-2010 by Lagrimas because: lyrics were wrong

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Here's a post in a thread that I've recently read on a Gnostic forum, which contains a few links to some examinations of Aleister Crowley's teachings, in the context of Primitive Freemasonry or Primeval Occult Masonry:

Golden Dawn Gnosticism and Aleister Crowley

What is explained there, is how the rituals of Aleister Crowley's system are only conducive to awakening the Kundabuffer (an esoteric term that is also found in Gurdjieff's writings), which is the opposite of Kundalini.

edit on 19-11-2010 by Tamahu because: edited text

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Tamahu

The snake kundalini refers to the kundabuffer, im sure, because it involves one man sticking his tongue up another mans anus, which is where the 'organ' you refer to is.

so just to clarify: the snake kundalini is different from regular kundalini.

These three factors are: a) Death of the Psychological “I” b) Birth of the Being within us * c) Sacrifice for Humanity The “I” dies based on rigorous creative comprehension. The Being is born within us with the Maithuna (sexual magic). Sacrifice for humanity is charity and very well understood love. The schools which teach the ejaculation of semen, even when they do this in a very mystical way, are really Black schools, because the Kundabuffer Organ is developed with such a practice. The schools which teach the connection of the Lingam-Yoni without the ejaculation of semen are White schools because this is how the Kundalini rises through the medullar canal. The schools which teach how to strengthen the psychological “I” are Black schools because the evil consequences of the Kundabuffer Organ are strengthened with that procedure. The schools which teach the dissolution of the “I” (Mystical Death) are White schools because they destroy the evil consequences of the Kundabuffer Organ. The Kundabuffer Organ is the tail of Satan. It is the sexual fire descending from the coccyx downwards towards the atomic infernos of the human being.

gnosticteachings.org...

this all making sense?

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   
The Kundalini refers to the Divine Mother Kundalini Shakti.

The Kundabuffer refers to the Kundabuffer organ which is Satan's Tail.

The actual Serpent of Kundalini Herself, awakens within the 33 Degrees of the Avadhuti or Sushumna Column, with Sexual Magic.

*Sparks* of Kundalini can be awakened within Ida and Pingala or Lalana and Rasana, by bachelors and bachelorettes, with Pranayama.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by indigothefish
so masons do rituals like crowley used to do?

masons practice similiar occult practices as crowley was involved with?
edit on 11/19/2010 by indigothefish because: (no reason given)
No, Masonic rituals and Crowlian rituals are nothing alike. As both a Mason, and a practitioner of magick, I can honestly say I've never gotten a magickal "charge" from any involvement in Masonic ritual. They're simply not designed to summon energy in that way.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by JoshNorton

Is that really so? Or is it just that modern day masonry is so out of touch with its own Esoteric past, that we are lucky Crowley came along to re-educate the west, and as such whether the official body of ~Masons likes it or not Crowley's Esoteric Masonry is much more powerfull an organisation?

Do you think Skull and Crossbones is an Esoteric Magic school unlike the Masonic lodge you are a member of?
what of the Rockefellers and the 'prayer room' in the UN. These people are Esoteric practicioners are they not?

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lagrimas
IMO
Just because Crowleys didn't actually progress up the ladder of standard masonry doesnt mean that he doesn't have provenance as a person of great esoteric knowledge, If he did indeed learn everything there is to know about the craft up to the 33rd degree then he would easily have the power to start a Masonic style lodge system, which he did.

From what I have read, Crowley has learned a great deal of esoteric knowledge and knew more than most about the subjects he studied. My point was to dispel the rumors that he was in the same group we consider regular masonry. And also to learn more about him. I find him to be a very interesting character to say the least.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Tamahu

thanks very much for that link. I have never seen AMORC associated with the Golden Dawn. I do have a vested interest in the AMORC Rosicrucian group, so I will check it out in detail. thanks again.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by JoshNorton

i am familiar with the rituals and works of crowley, however, not being a mason myself i have no idea what kind of rituals the masons pursue

what kind of rituals do masons pursue so that i can make a decision on the difference between crowley and masonic ritual

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tamahu

The Kundalini refers to the Divine Mother Kundalini Shakti.

The Kundabuffer refers to the Kundabuffer organ which is Satan's Tail.

The actual Serpent of Kundalini Herself, awakens within the 33 Degrees of the Avadhuti or Sushumna Column, with Sexual Magic.

*Sparks* of Kundalini can be awakened within Ida and Pingala or Lalana and Rasana, by bachelors and bachelorettes, with Pranayama.

Here is a bit of info from your link that is interesting:

Freemasons:
Chastity Labels:
Chastity Written by Administrator
How austere the discipline was may be seen from a summary of its rules: Confessing faith in God, an Apprentice vowed to honor the Church, the State, and the Master under whom he served, agreeing not to absent himself from the service of the order, by day or night, save with the license of the Master. He must be honest, truthful, upright, faithful in keeping the secrets of the craft, or the confidence of the Master, or of any Free-mason, when communicated to him as such. Above all he must be chaste, never committing adultery or fornication, and he must not marry, or contract himself to any woman, during his apprenticeship. - Quoted from "The Builders" by Joseph Fort Newton [1914].

I sure am glad things have changed a bit. Our order would be very small if these rules were in place.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by indigothefish

speaking from my perspective, masonic ritual, as in lodge functions, are very similar to a combination of a business meeting and Catholic mass, (minus the religion). We say a prayer at the beginning and end. Degree work is much like a play. It doesn't change so the message isn't lost. But not knowing of Crowley's type of magic, I cannot compare it.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by JoshNorton
No, Masonic rituals and Crowlian rituals are nothing alike.

Actually, Crowley's revisions of the O.T.O. degree rituals are almost completely based on Freemasonry, especially the Rites of Memphis and Mitzraim, as Crowley received them from Yarker. Crowley did in fact purge the O.T.O. blue lodge degrees of Masonic language, but the basic idea is the same. The higher O.T.O. grades still contain traditional Masonic language and degree titles (Royal Arch, Rose Croix, Knights Kadosh, Princes of the Royal Secret).

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Network dude, it is not that the two Lodges were associated.

In short, the Golden Dawn is said to have been a White Lodge when it was first founded by S.L. MacGregor Mathers and W. Wynn Westcott (both Freemasons who were interested in Rosicrucian-Gnostic studies). It is implied by Samael Aun Weor (who was a student of Huiracocha's (Arnold Krumm-Heller) teachings), that Dion Fortune was one of the few Golden Dawn Initiates to preserve the original Golden Dawn's teachings in their purity.

The politics of the events related to Huiracocha, Aleister Crowley, the O.T.O., F.R.A., F.R.C., A.M.O.R.C., etc., is perhaps another story.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lagrimas

Is that really so? Or is it just that modern day masonry is so out of touch with its own Esoteric past, that we are lucky Crowley came along to re-educate the west, and as such whether the official body of ~Masons likes it or not Crowley's Esoteric Masonry is much more powerfull an organisation?

Organization-wise, no. Crowley's O.T.O. is very small, numbering around 3,000 worldwide. The turnover rate is very high, and most of the members are nowhere near as serious as Crowley was. The O.T.O. is primarily peopled by aging hippies and young goths, and could not in any significant way be considered "powerful".

Do you think Skull and Crossbones is an Esoteric Magic school unlike the Masonic lodge you are a member of?

If you refer to the Yale fraternity of Skull and Bones, no, I do not consider them "esoteric", and they do not practice Magick.

what of the Rockefellers and the 'prayer room' in the UN. These people are Esoteric practicioners are they not?

The Rockefellers are a family, not an esoteric group. I do not consider the prayer room at the UN to be of any esoteric or magical importance.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Sorry for the derail, but wanted to respond to one statement in the OP:

Originally posted by network dude
All grand lodges are chartered by the UGLE or United Grand Lodge of England.

The UGLE does not charter Grand Lodges. The UGLE may only charter subordinate Lodges in its own jurisdiction.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join