It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why The Unfair & Unbalanced Political Correctness Regarding Homosexuality?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   
This is Social Issues, so I assume I can post Social Issues right?
Thanks

In alot of debates regarding the homosexuality topic I often see people saying "Homosexuality is not a choice".
There are also many heterosexuals saying this as well
And they get angry and either say "why do you care"
Well why do I care about anything? Why do I want to have a discussion about anything then?

This tactic does not work in my opinion and only further divides the line between all parties

But the other thing is that these same people that say that "you aren't homosexual so you don't know, and who are you to tell me who I am" when debating that homosexuality IS a choice.

But a large majority of them then turn around and say "Sexuality is not a choice"
So how come heteros can't say that homosexuality isn't a choice but the other side of the fence is able to say that heterosexuality is a choice?

That doesn't make sense to me
Trying to shut people up rather than discussing the issue with get us nowhere as a society

So is it just an obsession over political correctness?
Is that what it is?

Can we truly evolve as a society with this approach?
What this does is disallow any type of ending to this debate, which of course allows many to get distracted and it's the economy and well being of the country that suffers in the end.

So is it nothing more than political or social correctness?

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

So is it nothing more than political or social correctness?

Maybe.

Alternatively it could be the illogical rationalization of someone who is wrong and misinformed on too many levels to tackle thus transferring responsibility to the abstraction of political correctness.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
This argument will go on as long as there is religion that frowns down on homosexuality. There is no separation of church and state like they would have you believe. Therefore there will always be an unbalance political correctness regarding homosexuality because of the majorities beliefs.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

"How can you just tell me to stop talking if I don't know what I'm talking about?"

If you don't like being told you don't know what you're talking about, post some credible sources that support your claims. We call this "Denying Ignorance" here. Kthx.

If homosexuality was a choice there would be no homosexual men.

Your righteous youth would make sure of that in high school.

I hope you don't think this activity of "reserving an opinion" against homosexuality is anything near Christian, either.
edit on 18-11-2010 by Brood because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by haterproof
Alternatively it could be the illogical rationalization of someone who is wrong and misinformed on too many levels to tackle thus transferring responsibility to the abstraction of political correctness.

Quite a possibility

Originally posted by TheLieWeLive
This argument will go on as long as there is religion that frowns down on homosexuality. There is no separation of church and state like they would have you believe.

We are talking about social issues here not legislation

I am not a religious person, I am an agnostic, so where do I fit?

You bringing religion into this is the same as "why do you care"
Your only tactic is to categorize your opponent and then attack the category and not the arguments

This is cheap!

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Sexual Orientation (Note the proper Clinical, terminology), is not merely a preference, or, as some would say, a choice.

At least, current medical and psychological studies seem to indicate as much.

Many of those who would claim that homosexuality is a choice do so from the standpoint that, if homosexuality could be relegated to something that is merely a matter of personal decision, then that decision can (and in their opinion, Should) be changed; ie. homosexuals are not really different, they just want to seem different.

People who hold this opinion are generally disturbed by the possibility that homosexuality (or bi-sexuality, or transgenderism, or anything that is not "normal" heterosexuality) is as innate in those that are homosexual as heterosexuality is to those that are heterosexuals.

Although many studies have been conducted which support the apparent fact that human sexuality is neither "Either/Or" but, in fact best represented by a scale ranging from strictly, and exclusively, hetereosexual to strictly, and exclusively, homosexual; most people (a far larger percentage of them, heterosexual) feel somhow threatened by this reality.

Silly really.

What you seem to percieve as "Political Correctness" is, in actuality, nothing more than societiy's attempt to recognize the reality of the circumstance.

And I think you denigrate the desire of rrational, compassionate people by refering to their endevours with the catch-all phrase "Political Correctness". In a large, pluralistic society, such as ours, the key to social harmony and, perhaps even , Survival, is the ability to compromise, the willingness to consider the needs of your fellow citizens, and the maturity to realize that you loose nothing by not aggrivating another.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   

I think haterproof pretty much summed up what is usually the root of this issue of "politically correctness." As far as when people say you cant know what someone else feels because you havent experienced it, I agree. But there are two ways, in my opinion based on what I see, that this could go. The first is realizing you dont know and choosing not to understand. When you do that you are refusing to accept new information into your world view so you can cling to whats comfortable and familiar...old patterns of thought. However, realizing you dont know, cannot know, but still exploring the issue, trying to understand it, applying this knowledge to other things, basically connecting the dots, allows you to learn. Learning allows growth and change, which lead to new thought patterns and new ways of seeing the world and also that you were wrong at some point which makes a lot of people uncomfortable.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Quite a possibility

I'm glad you are willing to consider the possibility. So should you find yourself once more on the erroneous side of a discussion there will be no need to rationalize it and blame it on the other side's political correctness or any other such abstraction. We're all wrong at some point or another, accepting it, learning from it, and moving on is the healthy response. Unless of course one wishes to remain mired in the archaic thinking of cave dwellers and religious zealots who are the last remnants of people who believe that homosexuality is a choice. Ironically, religious zealots don't believe in our evolutionary lineage from cave dwellers even though they share the same theories. Go figure.
edit on 18-11-2010 by haterproof because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   

I'm glad you are willing to consider the possibility.

So should you find yourself once more on the erroneous side of a discussion

Wait, only I am supposed to be open minded?????

You offer no argument that I am wrong but label me as wrong right off the bat?

No sorry.... Not happening!

there will be no need to rationalize it and blame it on the other side's political correctness or any other such abstraction.

I am not rationalizing anything, you however do not seem to be able to stay on topic

We're all wrong at some point or another, accepting it, learning from it, and moving on is the healthy response.

I'm pretty sure a healthy response is a healthy response
All you offer is finger pointing
That is not a healthy response

Unless of course one wishes to remain mired in the archaic thinking of cave dwellers and religious zealots who are the last remnants of people who believe that homosexuality is a choice. Ironically, religious zealots don't believe in our evolutionary lineage from cave dwellers even though they share the same theories. Go figure

So even after saying i'm an agnostic you categorize me in that space and then attack the category?
This is EXACTLY what I spoke of in my opening post

You are PROOF of this tactic

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   

So even after saying i'm an agnostic you categorize me in that space and then attack the category?

I didn't attack you, I was complimenting your ability to accept when you are misinformed. I was obviously mistaken. And saying that you're agnostic doesn't mean you are agnostic. How do we know? Aren't these your threads?

Homosexuality is a choice and nothing else!
All The Pro-Homosexuality People Please Enter!
CNN Asks: 'Homosexuality, Is It A Problem In Need Of A Cure?'

Your comments opinions as those of others are there for all to see. It seems you want to keep asking the same question expecting to get a different and satisfactory answer and when you do not you then create this thread putting it on others political correctness.

You sure like this topic though.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 10:21 PM
link   

I didn't attack you, I was complimenting your ability to accept when you are misinformed.

That compliment must stem from a reading disability and an inability to know what a compliment is

And saying that you're agnostic doesn't mean you are agnostic. How do we know? Aren't these your threads?

Homosexuality is a choice and nothing else!
All The Pro-Homosexuality People Please Enter!
CNN Asks: 'Homosexuality, Is It A Problem In Need Of A Cure?'

Your comments opinions as those of others are there for all to see. It seems you want to keep asking the same question expecting to get a different and satisfactory answer and when you do not you then create this thread putting it on others political correctness.

Ummm.. yes those are my threads
where and how do those threads indicate I am a religious person?

Why don't you do some even more researching one me on the topic of whether I am religious or not
Take that approach why don't you

You are doing nothing more than trying to derail this thread

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Another thread about homosexuality and another thread that devolves into attacking the OP as opposed to discussing the content.

It's a conspiracy I tell you.

Yes the PC Modern, are a bunch of a holes. It's not easy hating everybody but yourself and those who do what you mentioned are not informed and incapable of having proper discussions so as the above poster stated move responsibility to the "guilty" party.

Then again, there's no real hard fact information that we can use to come up with an answer to the question of whether is a inherent or learned.

Until that times comes we won't be able to stop this senseless bickering and ridiculous non issues discussion about a non issue.

I mean really, who cares about this stuff in this day and age? 70% of our armed forces don't apparently. People need to start listening to the younger generation, these are the people who will be taking the reigns. We've already left them a mountain of debt they will never be able to escape, a world that's divided into nice categories with nice labels and a media that is foaming at the mouth to sensationalize any story they can.

Culture and society has NEVER been stagnant. Trying to keep things the same as they were 30 years ago is an exercise of idiocy.

~Keeper

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 12:11 AM
link   

I apologize, I didn't realize I was attacking anyone. I could care less about who loves who or who sleeps with who. It is none of my business. When I speak to someone I don't recognize them for who they had sex with the night before.
I was just stating why homosexuality wasn't excepted on a larger scale. It is due to religion. Regardless of your choice of religion, homosexuality wouldn't be an issue by most if we weren't told that it was wrong since a young age.
So if anyone is gay then the church will be their biggest fight for acceptance. Not I.
edit on 19-11-2010 by TheLieWeLive because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Here's why.. The idea is. You didn't chose to be white, or black or whatever you are. If the subject were "Being black isn't a choice" well that would be pretty obvious right? You can't change being black without certain disorders or diseases.

Saying homosexuality is a choice implies that they are chosing to be gay, when they could chose the opposite sex and go marry that person. But that's not reality.. I know people that told me they wished it were a choice. So suggesting that you can choose to be straight is like suggesting to a black man that he could chose to be a white man. That's not true is it? And it's very offensive to them.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 07:00 AM
link   

I apologize, I didn't realize I was attacking anyone.

No I apologize, I didn't realize I was responding to you
Your post was not aggressive, my apologies for the mixup.

I was just stating why homosexuality wasn't excepted on a larger scale. It is due to religion. Regardless of your choice of religion, homosexuality wouldn't be an issue by most if we weren't told that it was wrong since a young age.

I don't think so
I think you are perhaps forgetting the natural phenomena of reproduction.
A man and a woman = a baby

That's not religion
Im' not saying religion doesn't play a part, but even if there wasn't religion i'm not sure it would make that much of a difference.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 07:31 AM
link   
I dunno, I think sometimes it's a choice and sometimes it isn't. If you've ever seen a highly effeminate 4 year old who prefers Barbies over Tonka Trucks, you would know that in some instances you're born with gayness. That said, there's also a lot of trendy homo's, or dudes who were so scorn by woman that they made the switch. I also suspect that many lonely people (fatty's, uggo's, the socially awkward) who just want love and don't care what sex it comes from.

I'd also like to include that the only reasons anyone is against it, is religious belief (which is retarded), immaturity (i.e "Eww f**gots are disgusting"), or crappy parents who would rather abolish the love life of a person they have no affiliation with, rather than talk to their kids and explain to them that gays exist. Or you yourself had lame parents who instilled poor morals into your head and you chose to live by them, even after reaching the age of reason.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 08:19 AM
link   
I think that sexual orientation is probably a lot more complicated than the black and white choice/not a choice argument that always seems to crop up on these threads.

My personal opinion is that genetics play the main part, but that environmental factors, such as childhood experiences, may tip someone slightly more in one direction than they would have been, if they hadn't had these experiences.

Someone else's sexual predilections are of no importance to me. And if consenting adults want to express their sexuality in a physical manner, then I see no possible problem with that.

I'll admit that I'm not overly keen on the thought of some homosexual practices, but then again, I'm sure many gay people find the idea of heterosexual sex a bit ''icky''.

I hold the revolutionary view, whereby if I don't personally like a particular sexual practice, then I don't participate in it, and if I don't like thinking about a certain sexual act, then I don't think about it.

It's quite simple !

Having said all that, I think that the OP raises a valid point, in terms of the debating tactics that are often used, although they are not necessarily specific to this subject matter.

For example, saying ''why do you care ?'' or ''what's it got to do with you ?'' is a pretty facile line of argument.
If you applied that line of thinking to every topic, then we wouldn't have much to talk about !

And from a much deeper perspective, then everything has to do with everyone else, because each person's actions has a knock-on effect, even if it isn't immediately noticeable.

Also, the argument that ''you've never experienced something, so you have no right to comment'' is a complete cop-out or an attempt to stifle any debate on a topic.

By that logic, I can't make any comment on someone else's parental skills ( or lack of parental skills ), because I don't have children, so ''I don't know what it's like to be a parent'' !
In fact, everybody would be severely limited as to what they could comment on, depending on what they had or hadn't personally experienced.

This line of argument is also problematic, as it works both ways.
If someone holds a positive opinion on something that they haven't experienced, is their view also invalid ?
Or is an exception made for that, because they aren't being critical ?

Humans are naturally opinionated, but also have powers of logic and reason. You can formulate an opinion on something that you haven't experienced, by using logic, reason and observational skills.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   

I don't CARE if homosexuality is a choice or not! It's none of my business! It doesn't affect me in ANY way, it certainly doesn't hurt me, it clearly what some people want to do or are driven by hormones to do... and did I say it's none of my freaking business? Why do you CARE? It's not about YOU. It has nothing to do with YOU!

Why do people these days think that everything other people do is their business and open for judgment?

I'm really beginning to wonder about people who are SO obsessed with homosexuality that they make thread after thread against it... WTF is that about? Are you trying to convince yourself of something? Because you're not going to convince anyone else. I don't like to jump on the bandwagon of "if you're homophobic - it's because of latent homosexuality" but when someone is OBSESSED to the point of desperately trying to convince other people, I honestly begin to wonder.

We supposedly live in a free society, but posts like this make it CLEAR that some people DON'T want a free society. They DON'T want freedom for ALL.

Dude, it's none of your business. Live your life and leave it alone. None of your threads on the subject have convinced anyone of anything. I think people who have such a problem with who others sleep with should maybe seek some help to find out why they're obsessed with something that doesn't concern them. At all!

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   

I think you are perhaps forgetting the natural phenomena of reproduction.
A man and a woman = a baby

Who's talking about reproduction? Homosexuality isn't a means to reproduce. Thank you for that update. I think we already knew that. So what? Who says we're all meant to reproduce? There are plenty of heterosexual people who don't reproduce. What's the point? I think we all know that a man and a woman can sometimes make a baby together.

You're right, there's a natural phenomena of reproduction, but there's also the natural phenomenon of homosexuality. Get over it.

Remember, reproduction is a CHOICE, too!
Do you have an issue with choices?
edit on 11/19/2010 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I don't CARE if homosexuality is a choice or not! It's none of my business! It doesn't affect me in ANY way, it certainly doesn't hurt me, it clearly what some people want to do or are driven by hormones to do... and did I say it's none of my freaking business? Why do you CARE? It's not about YOU. It has nothing to do with YOU!

I already answered this question in my OP before anyone brought it up
because it's always been brought up!

Tell me one thing, would I be able to turn your statement into "Why do people have any interest in Sociology?"
Can I do that? If not then why not?
Is the gay community not part of our society?

I'm really beginning to wonder about people who are SO obsessed with homosexuality that they make thread after thread against it... WTF is that about

Haha, man that's an EASY ONE!!!!
Why is there thread after thread
Easiest question EVER!!!!

It's because too many people are so opposed to talking about and because of that THERE'S NEVER ANY CLOSURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The topic remains open FOREVER, do you think that the fault of this belongs to people making the threads or the one's opposed to discussion and only respond by saying "Why do you care", "you are offensive", "It's none of your business"

The topic remains forever open, that's why there are so many threads about it
Because some people, for whatever reason, are so damn opposed to a mature discussion.

My friend.... there's your answer!

Are you trying to convince yourself of something? Because you're not going to convince anyone else. I don't like to jump on the bandwagon of "if you're homophobic - it's because of latent homosexuality" but when someone is OBSESSED to the point of desperately trying to convince other people, I honestly begin to wonder.

Yes that MUST be the reason
It just CANNOT be the reason that I stated above that people do not allow people to have a discussion about this topic.

Your guess MUST be the closest to the truth, Right?
It cannot simply be because of people not allowing any mature discussion and forever making this discussion a bottomless pit of emotional PC-Driven responses.

We supposedly live in a free society, but posts like this make it CLEAR that some people DON'T want a free society. They DON'T want freedom for ALL.

I agree, I don't know why people do not allow us the freedom to discuss
What's that all about???

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join