It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pirate-slaying COICA censorship bill gets unanimous support

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by thecinic

Wikileaks will be the first website to get shutdown. They are hosting "illegally" obtained data. Internet is done if this passes.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I can understand why the companies are angry that their products are being used without them being paid for it, but this bill opens alot of doors to violating our rights (similar to the Patriot Act). There are a million loop holes that they can use to shut ANY website down that they see fit.

Something needs to happen here. Our federal government seems to have no regulation, and all our protests are falling on deaf ears. We can protest all day long, but eventually when we all go back home, the federal government continues on.... WTF!!!

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   
These are just the first steps being made in an ultimate plan to completely control and regulate the internet.

Eventually an entity much like the FCC will regulate and control all content on the internet nearly exactly the same way it does now with broadcast radio and commercial television.

They also want to limit interactive abilities, as well as file sharing of ANY kind.

Be careful what you say from now on, they are watching, monitoring and listening and searching for ANY opportunity to blacklist your site and shut you down.

edit on 19-11-2010 by Fractured.Facade because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   
as an IT professional this is very sad. however.. things like this are put into effect and allowed to exist because of the lethargy of the american people. whats worse really... the law or the fact that millions of people are so readily willing to sacrifice their self reliance and freedom for a gilded cage.. i think i've lost faith in the willingness of the sheeple to do anything for themselves.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   

What annoys me about this is that the USA is basically saying they own the internet. Now i know some americans love to say the internet belongs to them because it was a network originally designed in the USA (even though the HTTP protocol was designed by a brit). However the internet is made up of hardware that exists in every country on Earth and software that comes from all corners of the globe. More importantly the USA is basically saying they can control the revenue of all companies in all countries by denying advertising on these websites.

Forget piracy, the issues here go well beyond that.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Another amendment erased already? You've all got to be kidding me.
How many have disappeared off that bill I lost count.

"So this is how liberty dies, with thunderous applause"

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Nogard2012

Forget ammendments because that only deals with US laws, this i honestly believe could be classed as terrorism by a government. They are saying to everyone in this world, from all nations that the USA can tell them what to do, that they must obey US laws and that companies cannot make profit from advertising on websites that are not hosted in the USA.

This is disgusting.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
As a musician with a full length movie sound track under my belt I have a right to say.
If I want to get payed I'll go PLAY, or dig a ditch, or engineer a show, or a recording....

You like my music AWSOME !
Take all you want, it doesn't cost me anything to make..
My super deadly little studio cost not.
google free vst and asio4all no latency
rmms linux studio open source.
my over head for what I am told is an entirely professioal "product" is Naught.

I get all the partying for free I could ever want.

trade my free speech so some record company can rip me blind?
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!NAUGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!*

PS man would I ever like to meet some of these ZIOfascisit clowns in the parking lot after a gig.....

edit on 19-11-2010 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Having never actually paid for a piece of software, or any form of music in the last 10 years, I frown upon the shenanigans being passed off as legislation in DC.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I Say screw the copyright agenda, i am getting sick of it, in every one moments the publishers always seem to blame the consumer for there loss in revenues.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   

If I understand this bill - it would be the same as 'deeming' a flower shop to be a money laundering front and closing it down without any judicial due process? Is that right? Isn't this bill needed to circumvent the judicial process in order shut down businesses which they've been unable to legally shutdown to-date?

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Piracy won't be killed, it'll just go further underground.

Keep the internet free!

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Sounds to me like they were bribed to push that law through.
edit on 19/11/10 by Gazmeister because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Patrick J. Leahy || Herb Kohl
Chairman, D-Vermont || D-Wisconsin

Jeff Sessions || Dianne Feinstein
Ranking Member, R-Alabama || D-California

Orrin G. Hatch || Russ Feingold
R-Utah || D-Wisconsin

Chuck Grassley || Arlen Specter
R-Iowa || D-Pennsylvania

Jon Kyl || Chuck Schumer
R-Arizona || D-New York

Lindsey Graham || Dick Durbin
R-South Carolina || D-Illinois

John Cornyn || Benjamin L. Cardin
R-Texas || D-Maryland

Tom Coburn || Sheldon Whitehouse
R-Oklahoma || D-Rhode Island

Amy Klobuchar || Al Franken
D-Minnesota || D-Minnesota

Chris Coons
D-Delaware

The only thing we can do to save the Internet is VOTE THEM ALL OUT!!!

Don't buy anything for the corporations that sponsor their campaigns and thoughts.

edit on 19-11-2010 by tooo many pills because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   
The great thing is they cant stop a Tor browser or .onion sites! There are always loop holes when it comes to the internet.
edit on 19-11-2010 by olliks2020 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by olliks2020

Yes people. You might already get used to using this www.torproject.org...

What is Tor?

Tor is free software and an open network that helps you defend against a form of network surveillance that threatens personal freedom and privacy, confidential business activities and relationships, and state security known as traffic analysis

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Let them. As I have said many times, this will just start the first cyber war, and it won't be a war fought between two countries. It will be between people who understand exactly how precious the internet is versus the people who want to control and abuse it. And the people who understand the internet (and have more cyber security experience than any state or institution has) would rather watch the internet burn and die then let it be taken over like this.

In other words, this is why we can't have nice things.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Danbones
OH Goody!
I can't wait to pay Sony Baloney 25 dollars plus Value added taxes, sales taxes GST PST etc etc etc for a crap CD worth .12 cents delivered......

Why the hell do people think they deserve everything for free? I am a firm believer in the concept of "getting what you pay for"

Sure, maybe the cd itself is only worth .12, but do you have any idea the amount of money and effort it takes to create the content that cd holds?

Do you know how much time and energy it takes to practice a musical instrument? To sit and write a song? To record, mix, and produce an album? All that work and you cant even bother to pay the few bucks on itunes to download it legally?

People dont seem to understand that if you want health care for free its going to suck, if you want government provided housing for free its going to be a S***-hole. If you want to pay next to nothing for a vehicle its going to be a piece of crap.

Just get over it people. Dont steal stuff and you wont have to worry about this affecting you

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpectreDC
Let them. As I have said many times, this will just start the first cyber war, and it won't be a war fought between two countries. It will be between people who understand exactly how precious the internet is versus the people who want to control and abuse it.

Some of us are already ready!

Think of this as an opportunity to destroy them, and you too may have a whole new outlook on this situation.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fractured.Facade
These are just the first steps being made in an ultimate plan to completely control and regulate the internet.

Eventually an entity much like the FCC will regulate and control all content on the internet nearly exactly the same way it does now with broadcast radio and commercial television.

They also want to limit interactive abilities, as well as file sharing of ANY kind.

Be careful what you say from now on, they are watching, monitoring and listening and searching for ANY opportunity to blacklist your site and shut you down.

edit on 19-11-2010 by Fractured.Facade because: (no reason given)

I agree, the govt doesnt like the monster the internet has become. Especially with sites like wikileaks and all of the pirating going on, thats just the excuse they need to get the votes.

I agree the real issue here is the precedent for censorship this will establish.

But this makes me realize how truly dependent we have become on this somewhat new technology.

Some how the world still turned, and life was able to exist before 1950

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join