It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pirate-slaying COICA censorship bill gets unanimous support

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+27 more 
posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Pirate-slaying COICA censorship bill gets unanimous support

arstechnica.com

The Combating Online Infringement and Counterfeits Act (COICA) sets up a system through which the US government can blacklist a pirate website from the Domain Name System, ban credit card companies from processing US payments to the site, and forbid online ad networks from working with the site. This morning, COICA unanimously passed the Senate Judiciary Committee.
"We are disappointed that the Senate Judiciary Committee this morning chose to disregard the concerns of public-interest groups, Internet engineers, Internet companies, human-rights groups and law professors in approving a bill. A controversial proposal allowing the government to pull the plug on Web sites accused of aiding piracy is closer to becoming a federal law.

After a flurry of last-minute lobbying from representatives of content providers including the Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA) and the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA), a Senate committee approved the measure today by a unanimous vote.

Read more: news.cnet.com...

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
news.cnet.com
edit on 18-11-2010 by thecinic because: (no reason given)

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums: Copy The Exact Headline

edit on 11/18/2010 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

+13 more 
posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Kiss the free internet goodbye It has nothing to do with "Theres a difference between freedom of information and freedom of illegally downloading materials." but rather with Enjoy the government being able to shut someone down for being accused of providing access to content to illegally DL. Essentially this law gives the government the power to seize something without a trial. So how is that really any different than what the Chinese are doing? All it takes is an accusation from an organization that donates a lot of money to these same politicians so they can get re-elected.

Enjoy your freedom while you can because with a lot of people thinking just like you do it may not last long. And BTW, I do not DL content illegally. As a matter of fact I try to make sure I do not buy or DL anything that the RIAA and MPAA have a hand in.
This is a sad day for sure people!!!!

I understand the purpose of the bill, but its gone way too far. Due process is essential to the protection of the innocent. This is just the first step to total censorship. If the Attorney General can shut down a website because it is suspect, whether or not the content is illegal or not, how long will it be until another politician can shut down a website for any reason they choose. This is the beginning of total web censorship and the American people are sitting back and watching it happen.

arstechnica.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

+4 more 
posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   
The internet is the last true bastion of free speech. That's a grave threat to rogue governments and they'll do whatever they can to curb (control) the net. They're only using the copyright infringement bull because it's popular right now and no one would bat an eye lid at it. Truth is, it's has a snowball effect. Once one law gets passed, what's to say that they don't add an amendment here and an amendment here granting them to close other websites which they don't agree with?

One you take that first big step, the other smaller steps are easy. Like religion and the government, the internet and government should also remain separate.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   
This is an awful bill. Hopefully if passed and signed it will face successful legal challenges. In the meantime I'd suggest everyone start investing in European or Asian based VPN services.

+11 more 
posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   
America is doing things daily that are far worse than any of the other countries it counts as enemies to democracy, everyday civil liberties like this are destroyed and they chip away at any element of our lives that they cannot control. Anyone that comes on here and thinks this bill will be used on pirate websites only is sadly deluded, coming soon an amendment to the bill to include politically subversive websites or websites openly criticising the Government this is the end of the Internet mark my words and F**K THE US SENATE

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by NoArmsJames
This is an awful bill. Hopefully if passed and signed it will face successful legal challenges. In the meantime I'd suggest everyone start investing in European or Asian based VPN services.

How does one do that if they wanted too. Also can you just use the ip of the website and country??

What the prices and how reliable.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   
I think torrents can still be used but I wonder if they can come after the individual.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   
You know this bill is bad just by the people supporting it :

The measure, approved by the Senate panel in a 19-0 vote, has the backing of companies including Disney, Nike, Merck and Time Warner and groups such as the Screen Actors Guild, the Motion Picture Association of America and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce. Committee aides said they worked with companies like MasterCard, PayPal and AT&T to develop the legislation.

First, the senators voted for it at a 100% rate. When was the last time SENATORS voted for the people? Ah yes, not once in decades.

Then all the big businesses... yeah big business sure love freedom...
edit on 18-11-2010 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by thecinic

How does one do that if they wanted too. Also can you just use the ip of the website and country??

I'm not sure if I can post it publicly without it looking like I'm advertising; though I promise it's all 100% legal. May I u2u you? If a mod or admin will give me permission I'll post all the info for everyone to see.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
You know this bill is bad just by the people supporting it :

The measure, approved by the Senate panel in a 19-0 vote, has the backing of companies including Disney, Nike, Merck and Time Warner and groups such as the Screen Actors Guild, the Motion Picture Association of America and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce. Committee aides said they worked with companies like MasterCard, PayPal and AT&T to develop the legislation.

First, the senators voted for it at a 100% rate. When was the last time SENATORS voted for the people? Ah yes, not once in decades.

Then all the big businesses... yeah big business sure love freedom...
edit on 18-11-2010 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

Thats the funny thing i mailed Bill Nelson, U.S. Senator of florida 5 TIMES called to no ends and NO ONE IS LISTENING!!!!

I know 6 other people in florida personally who sent the senator letters emails and calls

getting no where

THIS IS CORPATE ELITE AT ITS BEST

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   

I'm not sure if I can post it publicly without it looking like I'm advertising; though I promise it's all 100% legal. May I u2u you? If a mod or admin will give me permission I'll post all the info for everyone to see.

Yes you can u2u i dont see how posting a way to save our internet should be wrong

ATS is to deny ignorance this is what we are doing

We know your not an advertiser but i think people need to know how to combat this legally!!

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I sometimes watch missed tv shows online and while searching for one...i came across this on several of the sites...i dont remember which ones it was....its been a couple weeks now...but i found the picture posted by someone at another site....several sites i went to had this up already. This is already going on .... my opinion? It is the beginning of the end of internet freedom.

I dont know how to make it show up on the thread...
edit on 18-11-2010 by tasim because: bubbles...cause of bubbles...

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Essentially this law gives the government the power to seize something without a trial. So how is that really any different than what the Chinese are doing?

How is that any different from what the US government has been doing in regards to IRS cases, drug trafficking, and racketeering charges? There are a lot of folks out there who lost everything they owned, homes, property, vehicles, investments, cash, everything, confiscated under these acts and auctioned off before a trial commenced, then found not guilty and set free without so much as a "Gee, that sucks about your stuff" from the authorities.

Unconstitutional as hell, yet happening daily.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Thank you tasim here is the blacklist/censor/Seized image.. Time to learn some new tech and how to

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ac3eebe1a009.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   
OH Goody!
I can't wait to pay Sony Baloney 25 dollars plus Value added taxes, sales taxes GST PST etc etc etc for a crap CD worth .12 cents delivered......

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   
There are a lot of VPN services out there, some free, some pay. I haven't tried all of them and I'm not going to recommend one over another, but here are some good places to start.

Firstly, here is a list of 7 free VPNs, plus a quick rundown of what VPNs do. Some are US based, some are not.

7 Completely Free VPN Services To Protect Your Privacy

and here is a site dedicated to VPNs, all rated and reviewed by users:

Price comparison & user review of VPN services

That's just a start to what's out there. You should do your own research as to what service (if any) works best for you.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   
registries for top-level domains in other countries would remain unaffected, and The Pirate Bay, perhaps as a precautionary measure, already owns thepiratebay.se. Americans interested in free (if illegal) downloads could switch to an offshore domain name service or visit The Pirate Bay's IP address at 194.71.107.15..., which means that this congressional effort might accomplish less than its backers would like.

news.cnet.com...

So there ARE ways around it. The url will not work but the ip of the site can still be used

but if they start banning urls the next step would be banning the IP's which i think this is where it is going

take our freedom of the internet little by little

Hopefully just a little but of hope One open question: whether the lame duck Congress currently in session has time to enact COICA, which would mean votes in the House of Representatives as well. Even with this breadth of support, the odds are against it.

Its not over quite yet, but every democrat and republican senator in office NOW voted FOR this.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by NoArmsJames

Thanks No Arms.
I don't know anything about VPNs
Guess I'll start learning from your links.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

I use a VPN service based in the US, and now I can watch hulu. As you know, it's not available in Canada due to licensing issues. I have to disconnect when done, so I can watch content in Canada. Got the best of both worlds at the moment.... Just hope it stays that way for me

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Senate Committee OKs Domain-Name Seizure

The Senate Judiciary Committee, voting 19-0, approved legislation that would let the Justice Department seek U.S. court orders against piracy websites anywhere in the world, and shut them down through the sites’ domain registration.

Holy Cow! Let's put the pieces of this puzzle together, shall we?

1. Joe is a Web Developer and operates his business through a rather popular blog.
2. Joe gets a speeding ticket.
3. The government doesn't like the fact that Joe has posted "certain websites" in his Favorite Links.
4. The government uses the speeding ticket to add Joe to the terrorist list.
5. The government shuts down Joe's website & his lively hood.

Coming to a theater near you! - You never know when this might be your last ATS post.

edit on 18-11-2010 by CodeRed3D because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join