It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CERN scientists have finally trapped anti-matter!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
It would make a fine bomb.
No need for nasty nukes.
No worries about radiation.
Perfect!

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by midicon

No need for nasty nukes.
Perfect!

I had the same thought. I give it a year before its weaponized and used on the battlefield.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Seriously, this LHC is going to blow our minds with some of the things we'll discover from it. Amazing, already we've trapped anti-matter, now it can be studied in detail. All that tech you see on Star Trek will come from the finds that the LHC provides, it absolutely has the potential to completely change the planet.

Okay, we'll see some weapons too but the world has survived this long with nukes on it so what's new there? I'd rather not have to halt scientific progress (and therefore mankind's) just because we have war mongerers on the planet.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by jamiejames

thats the most ignorant thing iv ever read...

have you ever read the ATS´ motto? its DENY IGNORANCE...and what you say,sir,is ignorance.pure ignorance.
if you are against science how do you wake up in the morning with your clock and drive to work on your air-conditioner equipped car hear the sound waves that are created thru the speakers that are connected to your Radio That receives eletromagnetic waves in the form of information that translates it into what we call...music... how do you start your computer and check your emails? how do you do ANYTHING on the modern world without science? how do you deny science? that is pure ignorance... if you are against the evolution of mankind then go back to your cave and make a cross out of bones so you can pray to your god...for a better life without science...thats what you want?
edit on 18/11/2010 by jpsdasnake because: spelling

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hawkwind.
Seriously, this LHC is going to blow our minds with some of the things we'll discover from it. Amazing, already we've trapped anti-matter, now it can be studied in detail. All that tech you see on Star Trek will come from the finds that the LHC provides, it absolutely has the potential to completely change the planet.

Okay, we'll see some weapons too but the world has survived this long with nukes on it so what's new there? I'd rather not have to halt scientific progress (and therefore mankind's) just because we have war mongerers on the planet.

Sometimes life imitates art. Hopefully some of these scientists will have enough imagination to find a way for this achievement to benefit society. Unfortunately, my years of experience tell me that the M.I.C. will definitely will find a way to weaponize this process.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Lol. Its so obvious they only do things for weapons. Now I am wondering who they are going to test the commercial weapon on.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by lawlb0t

"they" only do things for weapons?you do know we are talking about CERN right?

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Yes, but I think the poster was referring to where some of CERN's funding likely comes from...

I had the same thought. I give it a year before its weaponized and used on the battlefield.

While I'd love to state that the use of it an energy source was my first thought, it isn't. This could be really dangerous....in the wrong hands.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Yeah,thats true...the same thing for Nukes...we use the same materials to generate electricity

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
This is great! We are another step closer to anti-matter propulsion.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by jpsdasnake
reply to post by Gazrok

Yeah,thats true...the same thing for Nukes...we use the same materials to generate electricity

Yes, we do use nuclear power to generate electricity....AND nuclear weapons. Now we are dealing with energies that were involved from the universe's conception. That involved collisions of matter and anti-matter that help propel the basic constituents that make galaxies that are still racing out to fill the inconceivable void to this day.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Kratos40

so basically we´v got powder on our hands...we can either build a tunnel or kill someone.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 06:12 AM
link   
Awesome. All we need now are the dilithium crystals...

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
In continuation on the topic of anti-matter, recently scientists at Brookhaven created another form of anti-matter. Although, this is not at CERN it is still another major milestone in the creation of anti-matter:

A tiny "big bang" set off in Long Island recently created a new type of antimatter that's literally off the charts, scientists announced last week. Dubbed the antihypertriton, the newfound antimatter is the heaviest yet detected. What's more, it's the first type of particle that contains what's called an antistrange quark, which puts the antihypertriton in a new plane on the periodic table of elements.

Heaviest Antimatter Found; Made in U.S. Atom Smasher

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by midicon

No need for nasty nukes.
Perfect!

Yes, this is much more efficient than a neutron bomb's short lived neutron flux upon surrounding matter.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I just read this story on Yahoo and I immediately came over to ATS to post, I however, did what most people don't...SEARCHED.

So I found that you beat me to it, lol, but thank you for posting.

This story is amazing. In only 3 short years since the LHC started we have already trapped Antimatter. If I'm correct, LHC isnt even at full power yet, is it?

Imagine the implications this will cause! (good I hope) This could be the start of the Zefram Cochrane moment of First Contact, but alas I shall hold my crazy optimism and imagination for another day.

Mac

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
What would the chances be to launch an antimatter weapon to a projected near earth asteroid we find to be dangerously close to a collision course with us, would such a weapon take it out? Could such a antimatter power source steer away a NEO? Sounds to me making use somehow of antimatter production could potentially save the world.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join