It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CERN scientists have finally trapped anti-matter!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   
No offense to anyone in general but anti matter flight is REALLY not gonna be easy to do at our current level of advancement.

Have any of you forgotten the amount of money it takes to create anti-matter. Anti-matter is BY FAR the most EXPENSIVE substance in the entire universe?(Not counting how much dark and imaginary matter would cost.)

These particle accelerators can manage to make anti-protons, and positrons but not the large amounts of anti-matter that is needed for travel.

Oh and if you were going to mention it is very hard to obtain anti-matter that is created high above our atmosphere.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Saw this on Cosmos.

Was gonna post it, but I see you beat me.

Very fascinating.

I find it amusing that the scientists say "For reasons that no-one yet understands, nature ruled out antimatter."

In some universe parallel to ours, I'm sure there are scientists saying the exact same thing. Only in their universe, protons are negative and electrons are positive. What I'm saying is, our matter may be their antimatter and vice-versa.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Been done before and by CERN themselves around 15 years ago this is just propaganda now to justify their massive money wasting.

en.wikipedia.org...

In fact I believe Fermilab have a facility solely for doing this and have been doing so for years.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 02:34 AM
link   
If most of the universe is made up of dark matter, it makes me wonder if the dark matter could be anti-matter. I don't believe anyone really knows what the dark matter is made up of. Therefore it seems like it could be several different things. I don't completely understand how energy changed into matter either. At one point in the future this will probably all be explained in an Astronomy class. Energy transformed into matter and anti-matter. When energy transformed into the matter we see, it had a positive spin going in a certain direction. When energy transformed into anti-matter, the spin was in the opposite direction. When these two opposing spinning bodies collide, all the energy breaks back out of the spin and is released. Maybe it's that simple. I'm not sure.

Maybe most of the energy did not transform into positive or negative spinning bodies of matter and anti-matter but transformed into something else. This could be the dark energy or matter that comprises most of the universe. I'm really speculating with that statement.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 03:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Teknikal

Been done before and by CERN themselves around 15 years ago

Yeah, but was that just the production of anti-matter? This is dealing with the storage of anti-matter, a whole different ball game...

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 04:06 AM
link   
Great few days for science, the Cern discovery in conjunction with Fermilab's soon to be confirmed discovery of a new particle.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

It'll be a long time before the implications of these discoveries are felt, but each small step forward we take is exciting as far as I'm concerned.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 04:09 AM
link   
Not more of this positive thinking rubbish.

2nd line

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 05:03 AM
link   
Just thought I would add my thoughts here as a futurologist.

There is a lot of antimatter around jupiter, and there is a lot of H3 on the moons surface. There are threads on these issues and if you search and you will find.

I predict that with Obama's encouraging of the private sector to start finding ways of working in space, and with all the bills he has put in place to retain (certain) rights over that work, and over what they might mine/harvest.

Expect to see either NASA or the private sector start to harvest H3 first with a view to using it to power crafts to Jupiter to gather the antimatter thats available at a fraction (I mean a staggering fraction even with the cost of space travel to Jupiter) of the cost it would take to make Antimatter in a lab such as cern.

Nasa already hold patents for a 'storage case' for both H3 and Antimatter. These things are going to happen sooner than you think. stars and flags to OP.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 05:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Lagrimas

WHAT? waht do you mean there is anti-matter around jupiter??? how the hell is it still there? --

If there was anti-matter orbiting jupiter it would have to be in a absolute vacuum otherwise it would annihilate regular matter.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by jpsdasnake

www.centauri-dreams.org...

www.centauri-dreams.org...

www.spacetravel.org...

Im not that up on it, I've heard it mentioned here on ATS before, and obviously above.

If its not true, at all, I'd like to know!! Because in order to forecast its important to have good info.
edit on 18-11-2010 by Lagrimas because: spelling

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by jpsdasnake

Last time I checked, space was a vacuum, and I think that's were Jupiter is, in space

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by worstcasescenario

we know its vacuum but NOT ABSOLUTE VACUUM(there is no such thing) so anti-matter would collide with anything from solar wind particles to gas and jupiter moons(wich i have to remind you,are made of regular matter so the result would be annihilation)

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kratos40

Originally posted by Ronin22
What if Matter is the by product of Anti-Matter and some other pre-existing material that clashed and created the big bang? because (and I do not understand physics much) but if Anti-Matter and Regular matter is suppose to be that volatile against one another, then it's NO way possible for them to contain Anti-Matter without it reacting.

So maybe Anti-Matter and another unknown/undiscovered element is what came together to form regular matter

Astrophysicists speculate that at the time of the Big Bang, there were equal amounts of matter and antimatter, and somehow matter won out in the end. Perhaps regular matter had some help. You do bring up an intriguing point.

edit on 17-11-2010 by Kratos40 because: (no reason given)

Perhaps There was harmony in the universe until there was one atom more of matter....which CAUSED the big bang. Maybe?

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Really, who cares? Is it going to help our everday lives? Who cares if we find new planets! Who cares if we find life on those planets! Who cares that we've trapped anti-matter! Is it going to help mankind get out of the muck he's in? Is it going to help starvation and poverty? Will it bring an end to wars? Will people now begin to love each other, and care for each other? So...who cares?

Who gives a rat's lumps what new crap 'science' has discovered, 'created', or theorized. IS IT GOING TO CHANGE LIFE ON PLANET EARTH??? And if so, how?

And while i'm at it...who cares what's going on in space? It's been going on since the beginning of time...and it will continue to go along....after our time, on this planet, is up. God created space...for our enjoyment...and you don't need a rocket to enjoy it. You just need EYES to see it.

For me, personally....science is hogwash! It's nothing more than another 'illusion' to spend the money of hard working people. What has technology done for our planet...that our planet couldnt have done without technology? Even the electricity that powers our computers IS FREE...but 'the man'....usurps us, and charges us for it.

Now, if one were to say..this 'anti-matter' will help a seed produce a harvest in 30 days...instead of 1/2 a year or so, then, i'd be ECSTATIC. But seeing that they only want to use it...for THEIR agenda makes me...want to

Question: CAN WE PLEASE FOCUS ON OUR PLANET??? Afterall, earth will still be here, even if we destroy or use up all of her resources....WE JUST WONT BE! Get the picture???

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by jamiejames

dude, really? we cannot move forward without science. Moving forward is a way to achieve those things you mentioned. World peace, alternative fuel, (helping mankind). Don't fear it.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   
They won't be happy until they either blow up the planet or get it sucked into a singularity. Or trap us all in a static bubble. Or turn us into strange matter.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   
from the project i saw at cern last year, roughly about this time, and the talk i had from a particle physicst there, they had only ever been succefully 7 anti hydrogens created and measured, like in the other thread posted about 38 of them existing at once, they have been at it many years with little succes so if they have been able to generate a segnificant quantity surely it would be all over the news? but if its true then thats a big leap forward.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Why are they not creating anti matter in space where it will be more easily contained?

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   
WOW! This is possibly great news for space travel! Star and flag for the find!

Not that its massively important, but the film was Angels and Demons, not Lost Symbol. The Lost Symbol isn't out yet, I don't think its due for realise until 2012 (oooooh!)

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by jamiejames

Amazing post. And I am sure that if everyone else in history was as simple minded and ignorant as you are, sir, we would all be sitting in a cave next to Lucy playing with dirt.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join