It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CERN scientists have finally trapped anti-matter!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   
This is quite exciting news in the realm of physics and the possibilities of energy generation. According to the following article, scientists were able to trap molecules of anti-hydrogen.

Scientists step closer to understanding secrets of anti-matter

The MSNBC site has also posted news about this today:

"We're over the moon," Aarhus University's Jeffrey Hangst, spokesman of the ALPHA collaboration at Europe's CERN particle-physics center, told me today. "I think this was the hardest step in the whole business."

Antimatter atoms caught at last

The most exciting part is knowing that a thimble worth of antimatter could propel a spaceship to Mars and perhaps even further.
edit on 17-11-2010 by Kratos40 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Kratos40

Thats unbelievable news Kratos, thanks for posting, I suppose it was only a matter of time. The sky's the limit now!!!! Sirius here we come!!!!

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   
wow this is huge... when i read the topic´s title i was like 0-0 The Lost Symbol
i just hope we can use that as a 100% efficient way of energy...in a safe way...

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Anam Gra

What comes to mind is the term "Antimatter containment unit" from Star Trek. There is a lot of energy generated when matter and antimatter collide and annihilate each other.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kratos40

What comes to mind is the term "Antimatter containment unit" from Star Trek. There is a lot of energy generated when matter and antimatter collide and annihilate each other.

Lol, I was going to ask exactly what would be used to store this?

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Well this project started back in 2007. Here's an article from MSNBC:

Inside the antimatter factory

Unfortunately, they mention that creating a milligram of antimatter takes a VERY long time. Hopefully we can get around this limitation.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   
since there is no absolute vacuum how would you safely store anti-matter?

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Endure

There are patents out there show proof of concept on how to contain antimatter. One version I read uses electromagnetism in a vacuum in order to "hold" the antimatter in place. It's hard to curb my enthusiasm when hearing about scientists passing this hurdle.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   

well thats job number two.............now you got it what do ya do with it!!!

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Endure

There are patents out there show proof of concept on how to contain antimatter. One version I read uses electromagnetism in a vacuum in order to "hold" the antimatter in place. It's hard to curb my enthusiasm when hearing about scientists passing this hurdle.

As I recall, this was the method used in the film "The Lost Symbol", to contain the antimatter created by CERN, which was stolen and used in an attempt to blow up the Vatican.
Truth stranger than fiction, much?

Roy.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   

yeah vaccum,but not absolute...it would still contain matter right? wouldnt it annihilate the whole thing?

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by jpsdasnake
since there is no absolute vacuum how would you safely store anti-matter?

Here's one version of what I was talking about:

Apparatus and Method for long-term storage of antimatter

A long-term antimatter storage device that may be energized by a low power magnetron and can function autonomously for hundreds of hours on the energy provided by batteries. An evacuated, cryogenic container is arranged with a source of positrons and a source of electrons positioned in capture relation to one another within the container so as to allow for the formation of a plurality of positronium atoms. A microwave resonator is located within the container forming a circularly polarized standing wave within which the plurality of positronium atoms rotate. Radioactive sources for small stores and low energy positron accelerators for large stores are used to efficiently fill the device with positronium in seconds to minutes. The device may also be arranged to provide for the extraction of positrons. A method for storing antimatter is also provided.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   
I hope theve stored it correctly! ( i just have this image of some scientist keeping it in a fosters mini-fridge).

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 07:07 PM
link   
What if Matter is the by product of Anti-Matter and some other pre-existing material that clashed and created the big bang? because (and I do not understand physics much) but if Anti-Matter and Regular matter is suppose to be that volatile against one another, then it's NO way possible for them to contain Anti-Matter without it reacting.

So maybe Anti-Matter and another unknown/undiscovered element is what came together to form regular matter

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   

huh...what?

edit on 17/11/2010 by jpsdasnake because: added smiley

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ronin22
What if Matter is the by product of Anti-Matter and some other pre-existing material that clashed and created the big bang? because (and I do not understand physics much) but if Anti-Matter and Regular matter is suppose to be that volatile against one another, then it's NO way possible for them to contain Anti-Matter without it reacting.

So maybe Anti-Matter and another unknown/undiscovered element is what came together to form regular matter

Astrophysicists speculate that at the time of the Big Bang, there were equal amounts of matter and antimatter, and somehow matter won out in the end. Perhaps regular matter had some help. You do bring up an intriguing point.

edit on 17-11-2010 by Kratos40 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Ronin22

anti-matter is the negative-charged regular matter...think of it as beeing:

Matter-Positive Charge(+)
Anti-Matter-Negative Charge(-)

so any "element" would be made either of (+) or (-) got it?

and (+) + (-) = 100% annihilation(transforms both matter into 100% energy)

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   
There already exists a patent for long term storage of antimatter. patft.uspto.gov.../77098 19&RS=PN/7709819

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by jpsdasnake

huh...what?

edit on 17/11/2010 by jpsdasnake because: added smiley

Yes, I know. A little too much to get your head around it.
It took me a few reads to just to understand the first couple of paragraphs.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   

haha
i guess it doesnt really helps that im a 13 year old brazillian haha I learned english all by myself

edit on 17/11/2010 by jpsdasnake because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join