It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA's Fermi Telescope Finds Giant Structure in our Galaxy

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+65 more 
posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Vast, mysterious structure discovered at the heart of our galaxy

Two enormous, gamma-ray-emitting structures are bubbling out of the center of our galaxy. And astronomers have no idea what caused them. These bubbles, which stretch an astonishing 25,000 light years above and below the galactic plane, are invisible to the naked eye. But astronomers working with data from the Fermi space telescope, which detects gamma rays, were able to see the structures.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b6b8c5bacb91.jpg[/atsimg]
NASA's Fermi Telescope Finds Giant Structure in our Galaxy

io9.com

----------------

I wonder what else is out there. How they got there, or how they were made is still unknown, for now atleast.

Scientists now are conducting more analyses to better understand how the never-before-seen structure was formed. The bubble emissions are much more energetic than the gamma-ray fog seen elsewhere in the Milky Way. The bubbles also appear to have well-defined edges. The structure's shape and emissions suggest it was formed as a result of a large and relatively rapid energy release - the source of which remains a mystery.

Too bad it's invisible to the naked eye.

edit on 9-11-2010 by Oozii because: Edited title.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Very interesting star and flag. Yesterday I was looking up a bit of information pertaining to black holes and quasars [I don't know why I just kind of felt like looking that up as well as a variety of other space topics.]. So I'm wondering if this could perhaps be linked to the concept of the super massive black hole that is laden within' our galaxy. With that in mind perhaps something in the past that made it spew out a bit of material that just began to collect above the galaxy?

Now the next part I am not too sure if true, but I heard that as big as the super massive black hole is that it's pull isn't as strong as say a smaller one. From what I have read some would say it's due to the size? So perhaps when it was spitting the material out it wasn't a jet like a quasar but more of a "burp" type of deal that just kind of shot the material out there, yet the gravitational pull from the super massive kept it close? Thus the bubble formed as it continued to "burp" out more material?

I saw that the article listed it as a possibility as well.

One possibility includes a particle jet from the supermassive black hole at the galactic center. In many other galaxies, astronomers see fast particle jets powered by matter falling toward a central black hole. While there is no evidence the Milky Way's black hole has such a jet today, it may have in the past. The bubbles also may have formed as a result of gas outflows from a burst of star formation, perhaps the one that produced many massive star clusters in the Milky Way's center several million years ago.

Though their thinking seems a bit different from mine, perhaps a bit of both was involved?
Anyway I do hope the answer will at least be found out in this life time as I am curious now as to what could have caused it.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   
That is awesome! Perhaps the black hole in the center 'burped', releasing the energy instead of a spear of light like some other galaxies that have been observed... could in fact our center be not dormant, but far more active, I wonder....

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by volafox

More like it burped & farted!!!

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Oozii

Not a far stretch of the imagination...

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   
nothing can escape the gravity of a black hole lol
except hawking radiation
except electrons
except gamma rays
i wounder how long the list is going to get
i have said for a while
if energy canot be created or destroyed what happens to the energy in the form of mass when it enters a black hole ?
energy can be transfered, modulated change forms even but not be destroyed

so is this a look at what happens to all those electrons wizzing around atoms when they are sucked into a black hole
they are expelled in a form unknown to mankind and interacte with everything in there path

does this cloud comprise a form of energy we know nothing about?

star and flag for the find

xp

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Americanist

Mind explaining that diagram? It does look similar I have to say, but im at a dead end as to what the picture is trying to show.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Oozii

Vortex Based Mathematics markorodin.com... peace

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by the2ofusr1

Thanks, I'll have to read it about 10 times, but i'll learn something new

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Ok, so I know this is a very, very LONG way away but...

We argue that these Galactic gamma-ray bubbles were most likely created by some large episode of
energy injection in the Galactic center, such as past accretion events onto the central massive black
hole, or a nuclear starburst in the last ∼ 10 Myr.

I wonder if the original event, the "large episode of energy injection", could have an impact on Earth - and, to what degree? After all, this energy could have been traveling 10 Myr. Could this have an immediate (~100 yrs) impact to us?
edit on 9/11/2010 by Iamonlyhuman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Oozii

Yeah, you'll learn how to spot crackpots easier after wasting your time learning the hard way.

Rodin is a quack.

Check out this 4 hour documentary / series on the work of Frank Znidarsic... real physics with REAL math to back it up (like as in physics equations, not just numbers LOL)

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   
This is really Weird news.. I just read Contact and this is pretty much exactly what Carl Sagan said was in the center of the galaxy.. Two Black holes spewing a ton of energy into the galaxy to slow down the big freeze.

But that book was fiction.

Wonder if Sagan knew more than he let on?

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by FalselyFlagged
reply to post by Oozii

Yeah, you'll learn how to spot crackpots easier after wasting your time learning the hard way.

Rodin is a quack.

Check out this 4 hour documentary / series on the work of Frank Znidarsic... real physics with REAL math to back it up (like as in physics equations, not just numbers LOL)

Both gentleman are explaining the exact same thing in different fashion... One via equations. The other with a simple number map. The latter is much more thorough because it determines 3-dimensional space within a fractal pattern.

If your understand web development, here's a simple analogy... You have to manipulate code before you apply it to creation.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   
What I'd like to know is if this effects our galaxy, in any way.

The one that I wish was possible was to see it with our own eyes. I'd love to look up and see 2 massive gamma ray emitting structures.

edit on 9-11-2010 by Oozii because: -

+9 more 
posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/11f2d6110f83.png[/atsimg]

My baby sister teaches Physics in Paris,
specializes in Galaxy Morphology, and has
an impressive list of observation telescopes she
has done research on all over the world. I can say
with great confidence that this is expected and normal.

The amazing part of this is only that we could actually detect
this from within our own galaxy instead of being outside it objectively.

David Grouchy

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 02:20 AM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

nothing can escape the gravity of a black hole lol
except hawking radiation
except electrons
except gamma rays

Black holes emit nothing.

Hawking radiation is the result of the appearance of virtual particle pairs near the event horizon of a black hole. Such particle pairs are constantly being created out of nothing, throughout the cosmos.

Sometimes these virtual particles are electron-positron pairs, sometimes they are photons.

Near a black hole, one half of the pair may be captured by the hole and vanish beyond the event horizon; the other lopes off into space, where, finding no virtual partner to collide and mutually annihilate with, it becomes a real particle.

This explains the apparent 'emission' of particles by black holes. Gamma rays are photons, incidentally.

Meanwhile, the photon or electron that fell into the black hole has reduced the energy (mass) of the hole. This follows from the law of conservation of energy. When enough matter has fallen into the black hole this way, the hole dissipates and vanishes. The end is thought to take place in a massive gamma-ray burst.

All perfectly straightforward and sensible.

so is this a look at what happens to all those electrons wizzing around atoms when they are sucked into a black hole

Nope.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 03:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Oozii

There is a thread about it hear you go www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 03:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

clearly from the pictures our galaxys blackhole is emmiting something
dont you think?
xp

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 04:20 AM
link   
good pics and comparison. looks pretty similar to me, must be a normal thing with galaxies just that we haven't found out about it until now.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 05:30 AM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

No, this "structure" was produced millions of years ago, it's only since FEMI started that we have begun to gather this kind of data.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join